Question I need help to know if I should update the Bios.

Dec 6, 2022
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I don't know if it's right to post so quickly but I don't know where else to ask.

This is my Pc:

-Windows 10
-Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 UD (no wifi version) (2666Mhz Max on 10th gen - 5000+Mhz 11th gen).
-I5 10400 (I know this Cpu is not the best choice for this Motherboard but it was my only option at the time in the pandemic)
-16 gb ram (8Gb x2) G.Skill DDR4-3600 (CL19-20-20-40 1.35v)
-SSD nvme HP EX920 256gb (System)
-HDD WD (x2) 1Tb
-550w Psu Azza Bronze

-Leaving aside if these parts are the best option, I have not been able to make the XMP option of the board work (or even just change the frequencies), the memories should be able to go at least 2666 Mhz but they do not go above 2133Mhz, in fact in other places I have read that I can test to increase the frequency a little more, maybe to 3000Mhz and that everything remains stable but it is impossible, any change I make in the frequencies is reversed when rebooting (obviously I'm saving), otherwise the Pc does not turn on.

-I can't change the integrated video options on the Motherboard/Bios (im not trying to play anything heavy with this but it's giving me some problems with some light games like Inside or Ring of Pain), normally you should be able to allocate a part of the memory to the integrated Gpu but in this case nothing works, the pc doesn't use more than 700mb of memory, sometimes it gets close to 1gb but it doesn't go beyond that, even when it shows it has 7.9gb available (not allocated, just available). If I try to configure the Bios and assign part of the memory to the Gpu (Using the options available in the Bios) the Pc simply does not turn on, the screen stays black (maybe it is related to the memories?).

Some games do not return to full screen once minimized (the sound is still heard), it takes me a lot of attempts trying to open the window to return to full screen, but this is with a lot of luck, they usually stay minimized until I close them.

I have already tested the memories with Windows and Memtest, both programs tell me everything is fine.

The Bios is on factory version F2, the latest version is F7a (mandatory for Windows 11 according to the web page), maybe the update will solve all this?, in my country it is possible to have some random outages at this time of the year so I'm afraid to do this.

If this is not the right place to ask, I would appreciate if you could tell me where I should ask, I would really appreciate the help.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Leaving aside if these parts are the best option
That might very well be the root cause of your issues.

The Bios is on factory version F2, the latest version is F7a
Gradually work your way to the latest version, yes that's what you should be doing, making your way to the latest BIOS version, anytime you see some random issues crop up.

Out of curiosity, are any of the parts used in your build recycled from an older platform or used?

Reactions: CESRA-S
Dec 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Leaving aside if these parts are the best option
That might very well be the root cause of your issues.

The Bios is on factory version F2, the latest version is F7a
Gradually work your way to the latest version, yes that's what you should be doing, making your way to the latest BIOS version, anytime you see some random issues crop up.

Out of curiosity, are any of the parts used in your build recycled from an older platform or used?

Thanks

All parts were new when the pc was purchased.

As to whether the parts were the best choice or not, I didn't mean it in a bad way, I meant that for this motherboard the best were 11th gen processors and possibly "K" versions for overclocking, but because pandemic was a big problem when it was purchased, this was what I could get.

As for the Bios, is it still possible to ruin a motherboard if the PC shuts down in the middle of the upgrade, or is that a thing of the past, in my country at this time of year there are usually some random power outages so I am not confident it will be ok.

Can I update directly to the latest version or should I install each and every update, taking into account that this motherboard is for Intel and not for Amd (I do not know if this influences anything).

Lutfij

Titan
I meant that for this motherboard the best were 11th gen processors and possibly "K" versions for overclocking,
Apart from that part, I was looking at this;
550w Psu Azza Bronze
Which is why I asked if any part was purchased used. + Azza is the brand of the PSU while 550 is the advertised wattage of the unit while Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Can you please state the model of the unit?

As for the Bios, is it still possible to ruin a motherboard if the PC shuts down in the middle of the upgrade
Nope, it's still a thing. If you have a heartattack...you're probably not going to survive it. Same goes for the motherboard BIOS flashing process. You should source an UPS(in fact you should be in possession of one if power failures are a common occurrence).

I'm not sure if the Q-FLASH Plus button on your board is the same as a CrashFree BIOS 3 on an Asus board but that could be something worth exploring if your board does suffer a blackout(power failure) while flashing the BIOS, though trying to make sure you have constant power to the build when flashing the BIOS is your only priority, not second or third.

Reactions: CESRA-S
Dec 6, 2022
I meant that for this motherboard the best were 11th gen processors and possibly "K" versions for overclocking,
Apart from that part, I was looking at this;
550w Psu Azza Bronze
Which is why I asked if any part was purchased used. + Azza is the brand of the PSU while 550 is the advertised wattage of the unit while Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Can you please state the model of the unit?

As for the Bios, is it still possible to ruin a motherboard if the PC shuts down in the middle of the upgrade
Nope, it's still a thing. If you have a heartattack...you're probably not going to survive it. Same goes for the motherboard BIOS flashing process. You should source an UPS(in fact you should be in possession of one if power failures are a common occurrence).

I'm not sure if the Q-FLASH Plus button on your board is the same as a CrashFree BIOS 3 on an Asus board but that could be something worth exploring if your board does suffer a blackout(power failure) while flashing the BIOS, though trying to make sure you have constant power to the build when flashing the BIOS is your only priority, not second or third.

The PSU is "AZZA PSAZ-550W (New)", "New" is the version/model

it is a common brand seen in latam, I bought it while using the PC for office tasks (last year) but I have already ordered an Amd Gpu to use it together with an Evga 650w G+ Gold Psu (not many options to choose from right now).

I guess it's better to wait and update the Bios having everything connected to a UPS, I wasn't sure if it was still dangerous to update and have it shut down in the middle of the process, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS