s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
So i have a i5 6600k with z170 viii ranger and 16gb 2400 cl14 ram alongside a 980 ti sc+ acx 2.0 and a 1080p 144hz monitor.

I think this system it's struggling with new games as it stresses the cpu and is mostly on 70-100 % usage on games (warzone 100%)

and my question is : should i upgrade or wait ? i was thinking of buying a used cpu + mobo since a new gen of cpus will come out soon and prices are way too high for parts and especially GPUs.

Should i proceed with the upgrade or used parts are not worth it ? is a used 8700k (i can find one around 150 euro) + z390 mobo good option ? or should i look for a ryzen 2700x (used around 150euro) and mobo ? or something else?

i don't wanna spend too much atm since cause of covid i'm not working right now and don't have a decent budget and i was thinking of getting something cheap that will last till a serious upgrade in the future.

will upgrading to something other than my 6600k be a viable option for 1-2 years till i really need to upgrade and get even a new GPU 3000 or 4000 series?

opinions / suggestions? what prices should i look for on the cpus you suggest?

thanks for your time.

Solution
No, they aren't crazy lol. They are looking at you and your budget, knowing you can't replace everything with 10th Gen or 5000 series Ryzen, which is honestly a viable Upgrade, so must settle for a quick and dirty fix.

7700k means just a cpu. Cheapest and easiest route.
8700k means a new mobo, and they have those too. Cheaper than new.
Ryzen means new cpu, mobo, ram or you'll not get much in the way of upgraded performance running with 2133MHz ram, you are looking at a 20(ish)% performance difference to 3200MHz.

The more of an upgrade you want, the more it's going to cost, so those dealers wanting €230 for an 8700k are hitting the maximum they can get away with, without pricing so high that ppl would rather spend an extra €20 and...
Jan 16, 2021
It does support it but there aren't many used in my country and the prices are more or less the same as a 8700k or 2700k etc
I understand anon im kinda in the same boat, I have a 7600k. I cant justify spending the cash on a new CPU at this juncture or any new hardware for that matter

s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
I understand anon im kinda in the same boat, I have a 7600k. I cant justify spending the cash on a new CPU at this juncture or any new hardware for that matter
Yeah I feel you. Not worth it buying a new one atm with the new gen right around the corner.
Thats why I'm trying to find out the best alternative right now. In some countries its just crazy. You can find new 3600xt same price as a 3600.
In mine I can't get 7700k but a 2700x or 8700k are sold in bulk with normal prices but I can't decide which oath to follow right now and upgrade in the future

s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
4 core/thread CPU’s do struggle in new cpu heavy games. The biggest issue being the number of threads as the cores on the 6600k are still good. An option could be a B450 motherboard and a 2600x or 2700x. This would leave you with the choice of a 5000 series cpu in the future which would be a decent step up on a 2600x/2700x.
to be honest I didn't think of b450/550 choice to upgrade to a 5000 series when I find one with normal price. But is 2700x worth it over 8700k ?

"is a used 8700k (i can find one around 150 euro) + z390 mobo good option ? "

8700K is still quite competent, roughly the same as the R5-3600X... at 150 Euros, it would be a bargain, IMO...; the 6600K's four threads have been struggling with the newest games almost since it's release.

Last edited:

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
So i have a i5 6600k with z170 viii ranger and 16gb 2400 cl14 ram alongside a 980 ti sc+ acx 2.0 and a 1080p 144hz monitor.

I think this system it's struggling with new games as it stresses the cpu and is mostly on 70-100 % usage on games (warzone 100%)

and my question is : should i upgrade or wait ? i was thinking of buying a used cpu + mobo since a new gen of cpus will come out soon and prices are way too high for parts and especially GPUs.

Should i proceed with the upgrade or used parts are not worth it ? is a used 8700k (i can find one around 150 euro) + z390 mobo good option ? or should i look for a ryzen 2700x (used around 150euro) and mobo ? or something else?

i don't wanna spend too much atm since cause of covid i'm not working right now and don't have a decent budget and i was thinking of getting something cheap that will last till a serious upgrade in the future.

will upgrading to something other than my 6600k be a viable option for 1-2 years till i really need to upgrade and get even a new GPU 3000 or 4000 series?

opinions / suggestions? what prices should i look for on the cpus you suggest?

thanks for your time.

Unfortunately for your system, it is hard to find a combo that leaves an upgrade path and still be affordable.

-Going newer intel will cost you an arm and a leg and it still won't have great IPC... 8700k is just okay if you want to upgrade your gpu in the future.
-Getting amd is more affordable but if you add better RAM to your system, it still won't be cheap. Decent kit of 3200mhz Cl14 ram would set you back 100-150 euros. And the 2700x (which I own) is slower single core than 8700k.

Realistically speaking, going amd is still better even with the additonal cost of faster RAM, as amd does not cut cross generational compatability every year xD.

I would recommend a b450 (~100 eur), 3600/3700x (idk what they sell for in ur area but they should be around 200-250), and the aforementioned 3200mhz cl14 ram.

s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Unfortunately for your system, it is hard to find a combo that leaves an upgrade path and still be affordable.

-Going newer intel will cost you an arm and a leg and it still won't have great IPC... 8700k is just okay if you want to upgrade your gpu in the future.
-Getting amd is more affordable but if you add better RAM to your system, it still won't be cheap. Decent kit of 3200mhz Cl14 ram would set you back 100-150 euros. And the 2700x (which I own) is slower single core than 8700k.

Realistically speaking, going amd is still better even with the additonal cost of faster RAM, as amd does not cut cross generational compatability every year xD.

I would recommend a b450 (~100 eur), 3600/3700x (idk what they sell for in ur area but they should be around 200-250), and the aforementioned 3200mhz cl14 ram.
yeah i feel you, i get they way of thinking and i was not planning on getting newer intel yet nor getting affordable kit due to lack of compatibility with the newer gen.
i was only thinking of getting a used 8700k i've found around 140euro and a used mobo around 100euro and use my 16gb 2400 cl14 ram i own for now but dunno if it's worth it.

Amd might be better since with a b450 or better mobo i will be able to upgrade to 5000 series cpu in the future but i will need to upgrade ram too now. getting a 3600/3700x + mobo + ram will be around 400euro which is still too much for now.

the only cheaper option i've found is a used 2700x which goes around 130-150 euro (similar price to 8700k) and that's cheaper than a 3600/3700x and that's my dilemma.
since 3600/3700 + mobo + ram is around 400 which i don't wanna spend right now especially for used parts is it worth getting 2700x or 8700k or do nothing and wait for net gen cpus and then get a kit which might be cheaper due to the newer gens?

which will last longer and is better right now ; 2700x or 8700k ? which path to follow? is there any better option right now ?

Last edited:

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
I had a 2700X (recently replaced with 3900x). It's a great chip and paired with a 2080 TI, it performed great. I only upgraded because an opportunity presented itself for an upgrade, not because it wasn't performing. The 8700k tends to eek it out in games by a small margin at 1080p, anything above that is a wash. If you're ok with that, go with 2700x and a B450, because later on down the line that leaves a clear upgrade path to the 5000. If you go Z390, you'll cap out with the i9-9900K which generally performed slower than Zen 3 CPUs. If you're ok with not having PCIe 4.0 and you plan to hold out for a while before upgrading again than AMD is the way to go, because you'll have to wait some time before Zen 3 stock stabilizes. I can't speak personally to the 8700k but I recently built a friend a Z390 19-9900K pc, it was on par with a 3900x and the CPU is readily available at really good prices (u.s.), just make sure you have good cooling because it runs a bit toasty, but all in all it is a powerhouse today. So at the end of it, whichever route you go, while will be a dead-end in the near future, has decent upgrade paths to cover you for at least another couple of years. My opinion, given those factors I mentioned I'd go AMD just because it will have more juice to squeeze out than intel in future upgrades.

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
yeah i feel you, i get they way of thinking and i was not planning on getting newer intel yet nor getting affordable kit due to lack of compatibility with the newer gen.
i was only thinking of getting a used 8700k i've found around 140euro and a used mobo around 100euro and use my 16gb 2400 cl14 ram i own for now but dunno if it's worth it.

Amd might be better since with a b450 or better mobo i will be able to upgrade to 5000 series cpu in the future but i will need to upgrade ram too now. getting a 3600/3700x + mobo + ram will be around 400euro which is still too much for now.

the only cheaper option i've found is a used 2700x which goes around 130-150 euro (similar price to 8700k) and that's cheaper than a 3600/3700x and that's my dilemma.
since 3600/3700 + mobo + ram is around 400 which i don't wanna spend right now especially for used parts is it worth getting 2700x or 8700k or do nothing and wait for net gen cpus and then get a kit which might be cheaper due to the newer gens?

which will last longer and is better right now ; 2700x or 8700k ? which path to follow? is there any better option right now ?

I would go AMD still to retain some upgradability as well as the affordable prices.

s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
I had a 2700X (recently replaced with 3900x). It's a great chip and paired with a 2080 TI, it performed great. I only upgraded because an opportunity presented itself for an upgrade, not because it wasn't performing. The 8700k tends to eek it out in games by a small margin at 1080p, anything above that is a wash. If you're ok with that, go with 2700x and a B450, because later on down the line that leaves a clear upgrade path to the 5000. If you go Z390, you'll cap out with the i9-9900K which generally performed slower than Zen 3 CPUs. If you're ok with not having PCIe 4.0 and you plan to hold out for a while before upgrading again than AMD is the way to go, because you'll have to wait some time before Zen 3 stock stabilizes. I can't speak personally to the 8700k but I recently built a friend a Z390 19-9900K pc, it was on par with a 3900x and the CPU is readily available at really good prices (u.s.), just make sure you have good cooling because it runs a bit toasty, but all in all it is a powerhouse today. So at the end of it, whichever route you go, while will be a dead-end in the near future, has decent upgrade paths to cover you for at least another couple of years. My opinion, given those factors I mentioned I'd go AMD just because it will have more juice to squeeze out than intel in future upgrades.
I see. Indeed amd leaves a path to get a used 5000 cpu later if I can find a good deal now. I'll even try to find a b550 if I can instead of b450. It depends what is available right now because not many people here in Greece sell these cpus at the moment.. 2700x 3600x whatever I can find ill grab it if the price is good.
I've even found some buyers for my 6600k and z170 (offer is around 220 euro)but don't wanna sell until I get a new system.
So if I cant find any good deals I will stick with the current system and maybe upgrade later this year.or maybe I can start now with a higher frequency Ram kit. And in the future for sure ill need a new gpu , 980ti sc+ is struggling to keep up.

I would go AMD still to retain some upgradability as well as the affordable prices.
I'm really convinced to go AMD way for now given the upgradeability it offers. I just need to find a decent deal.

s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
An 8700k for 140 sounds pretty good. I mean what could you get for that much from AMD? A new 2600 probably.
Didn't manage to get that one so I won't be able to find a similar deal. Only options now are 2700x around 140-150 or 3600x around 200. People here sell 8700k for 230+ they are crazy

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, they aren't crazy lol. They are looking at you and your budget, knowing you can't replace everything with 10th Gen or 5000 series Ryzen, which is honestly a viable Upgrade, so must settle for a quick and dirty fix.

Ryzen means new cpu, mobo, ram or you'll not get much in the way of upgraded performance running with 2133MHz ram, you are looking at a 20(ish)% performance difference to 3200MHz.

The more of an upgrade you want, the more it's going to cost, so those dealers wanting €230 for an 8700k are hitting the maximum they can get away with, without pricing so high that ppl would rather spend an extra €20 and get brand new.

They get the most 'buck', you get the most 'bang'. Not always fair.

What you can do, while trying to decide, is turn down certain settings. Most game settings are graphical, so won't change the picture, but some are cpu bound. Things like grass detail, name tags, floating damage counts, visual distance and some others are cpu. They concern object placement not object detail. Turn those low/minimal means less work for the cpu, keep graphics high as possible. Tailor your settings to your pc, do not use the 'presets' as that not only lowers cpu settings, but also graphical settings, which makes more work for the cpu overall.

Solution

s3lin1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

The more of an upgrade you want, the more it's going to cost, so those dealers wanting €230 for an 8700k are hitting the maximum they can get away with, without pricing so high that ppl would rather spend an extra €20 and get brand new.

They get the most 'buck', you get the most 'bang'. Not always fair.

What you can do, while trying to decide, is turn down certain settings. Most game settings are graphical, so won't change the picture, but some are cpu bound. Things like grass detail, name tags, floating damage counts, visual distance and some others are cpu. They concern object placement not object detail. Turn those low/minimal means less work for the cpu, keep graphics high as possible. Tailor your settings to your pc, do not use the 'presets' as that not only lowers cpu settings, but also graphical settings, which makes more work for the cpu overall.
problem is there aren't many cpus like these on market right now. except new.
so if i cant find a cheap one i will not pay that much for an old generation. i prefer to pay 40-50-60 more and get a new unused cpu and tailor the new system to my needs.

i've already seen hundred videos with settings tweaking for windows nvdia settings and game settings and i;m at the maximum i can get from my system and that's ok. but i wanted to get something even better in an affordable price.

so i will just check listing regurarly hoping i can get a good deal and if not i will upgrade later this year when new parts come out.