stuart_fagan

Reputable
Jan 1, 2018
I am thinking about upgrading from my ASUS GTX 1070 Dual to an RTX 2070 Super.

After recently improving my aftermarket CPU cooler, I am now able to run demanding games comfortably at 5Ghz with my current setup. I just feel that the GTX 1070 is starting to struggle with certain newer games (Warzone to be exact).
I am wondering if my overclocked I5-8600K would act to limit the possibility of a bottleneck with an RTX 2070 Super? (seen as it would be running at 1.4 times the base frequency)
I only ever play at 1080p and have a 144Hz G-sync monitor.
If this is a possibility, it would mean I can keep the MBU and CPU I currently have and omit the need for a BIOS update- which has proved rather tricky in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hey there,

The short answer is no. It won't bottleneck. It's one of the top 10 desktop CPU's for gaming. It will drive any high end single card setup. Sure,. could you eek out an extra 2fps with another 'slightly' faster CPU, yes. But hardly noticeable, or worth the upgrade. 6 cores is fine for gaming now. If you find the CPU maxes out in game (some games do use up to 6 cores/threads, sometimes more, then a beefier CPU, with more cores or HT/SMT gives you a lot right now.
I am thinking about upgrading from my ASUS GTX 1070 Dual to an RTX 2070 Super.

After recently improving my aftermarket CPU cooler, I am now able to run demanding games comfortably at 5Ghz with my current setup. I just feel that the GTX 1070 is starting to struggle with certain newer games (Warzone to be exact).
I am wondering if my overclocked I5-8600K would act to limit the possibility of a bottleneck with an RTX 2070 Super? (seen as it would be running at 1.4 times the base frequency)
I only ever play at 1080p and have a 144Hz G-sync monitor.
If this is a possibility, it would mean I can keep the MBU and CPU I currently have and omit the need for a BIOS update- which has proved rather tricky in the past.

Thanks in advance.

No you won't have a bottleneck, the 8700K at 5ghz is as fast any cpu for 99% of games. Take a look at recent game reviews of the new i5 1600K - essentially the same CPU rebranded, it looses ever so slightly to the 9900k and 10900K in 1% low figures but it's typically less than 5% (and almost no difference in average frame rates) and that is with a much faster GTX 2080ti.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

The short answer is no. It won't bottleneck. It's one of the top 10 desktop CPU's for gaming. It will drive any high end single card setup. Sure,. could you eek out an extra 2fps with another 'slightly' faster CPU, yes. But hardly noticeable, or worth the upgrade. 6 cores is fine for gaming now. If you find the CPU maxes out in game (some games do use up to 6 cores/threads, sometimes more, then a beefier CPU, with more cores or HT/SMT gives you a lot right now.

Solution