Question Installed New Cpu/Motherboard, computer turns on and off over and over with 4 sticks of RAM but works with 2 sticks

Slayer Wezz

Commendable
Feb 14, 2017
I just upgraded my girlfriend's PC with a newer motherboard and CPU. I upgraded from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 to an Intel I5 4670k. I also upgraded from an Asus Crossfire Evo M4A88TD-V to a Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H. I kept the same ram which is 4x4gb sticks of G. Skill DDR3-1333 memory. All sticks are the same and working. The PC will only power on with 2x4gb stick and not when I have all 4x4gb sticks in. Doesn't matter which two are installed, just as long as it isn't all 4 sticks. All ram slots are working as well. When all 4 sticks are installed the PC will start to power up and then just shut back off and keeps repeating that. Any help would be much appreciated!

UPDATE: All 4 sticks are the exact same. All 4 sticks are working and all 4 memory slots on the board is working. I am able to log in to windows with 2 sticks installed. When there are 4 sticks it doesnt even power on long enough to show a boot screen, just remains black.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

did you buy the 4 sticks as a kit (all together in one kit)? if not, that could be your issue. Mixing ram yields mixed results sometimes.

i don't think you are supposed to bump your threads either btw.

Memory is guaranteed in the form it is sold (in kits) so if you start with 2 and buy another 2, even with same everything, they are not guaranteed to work

so if they are the same kit, can you test them with memtest86?

Slayer Wezz

Commendable
Feb 14, 2017
did you buy the 4 sticks as a kit (all together in one kit)? if not, that could be your issue. Mixing ram yields mixed results sometimes.

Memory is guaranteed in the form it is sold (in kits) so if you start with 2 and buy another 2, even with same everything, they are not guaranteed to work

so if they are the same kit, can you test them with memtest86?
I bought the PC already put together from a 3rd party and so they were already installed and working fine. A month after using and purchasing the PC I decided to make some upgrades and put in an Intel CPU and a different motherboard. So all 4 sticks of RAM had previously been working just fine together but now on this board are not. All DIM slots on the board appear to be working as well as all 4 sticks of ram, just not together on this board.

As stated above RAM is not guaranteed to work unless purchased in kit form.

Create a bootable memtest86 usb and check each stick individually and then as a pair and then all four. Try to find a problematic stick.

Install the two working sticks and power on and enter BIOS. Reset to default settings. Reboot and then install Windows. After that you can try to install the two remaining sticks of RAM.

Slayer Wezz

Commendable
Feb 14, 2017
As stated above RAM is not guaranteed to work unless purchased in kit form.

Create a bootable memtest86 usb and check each stick individually and then as a pair and then all four. Try to find a problematic stick.

Install the two working sticks and power on and enter BIOS. Reset to default settings. Reboot and then install Windows. After that you can try to install the two remaining sticks of RAM.
I should try this even though I know for a fact that all 4 sticks are working? I have booted the computer fine with any 2 of the 4 sticks installed in both channel 1-3 and 2-4

UPDATE: I am currently running the tests on each individual stick now and will let you know of the results.

Last edited:

Slayer Wezz

Commendable
Feb 14, 2017
I finished testing each individual stick and all of them checked out okay. I then decided to try installing all 4 of them again and it now works and booted with no issues. Am going to reinstall windows now and call her good.

D

Deleted member 14196

No I did not. Could that cause issues when trying to run the system with all 4 sticks? Would love to hear the reasoning behind doing it if you don't mind explaining.
this is your problem. you can’t transplant Amd to Intel and expect everything to work.

You Must do a full Clean install. Nothing less

Anytime you change out components like motherboards and such you need to reinstall full clean install