jawa

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
hello,

i am building my first pc.
i will mainly use it for gaming but also to study.
the games that i will mainly play are: League of Legends, PUBG, World of Warcraft, some Call Of Duty, etc.

which monitor would be best for me? i am willing to pay up to around ~150eur on the monitor. so should i go for IPS or TN?
i researched that high Refreshrate is important for gaming (at least more than 60Hz), so i am looking at monitors with at least 75Hz.
also Response time is important, with TN panels mostly offering response times of 1ms, while most IPS panels only have 4ms.
but do you really feel the difference in response time between 1-4ms?

i have found these 2 from asus which have very similar specs and cost the same, but one of them is IPS and one of them is TN.

https://geizhals.at/acer-nitro-vg0-vg240ybmiix-um-qv0ee-001-a1835846.html?hloc=at

https://geizhals.at/acer-kg1-kg241bmiix-um-fx1ee-010-a1930112.html?hloc=at

looking forward to your reply! Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there! , I have bought an IPS monitor a week ago and I've carefully been analysing it so far. I'll share my experience for you as I believe it'll help you a lot

I have bought AOC 24G2U; IPS Panel / 144hz. /4ms

+The visual quality of the monitor is very satisfying so far. I have tested on several games/videos. All the reviews kept mentioning "very vibrant and sharp colors" and that is in all honesty very true.

+I have not witnessed any sort of ghosting/input lag problem, which was one of my concerns before I bought it.. As you know, you cannot enable "low input lag mode" and "freesync" simultaneously, therefore I only activate freesync.

+Not that I'll ever use it without a headset, but the sound quality is suprisingly good...
TN panels are very old, they usually have the worst colors and contrasts but usually are cheap and offer high refresh rates at that low cost.

IPS generally have the best picture and until the last few years didnt have the fastest refresh or response time.

Looking at both I would get the IPS panel ones.

jawa

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
TN panels are very old, they usually have the worst colors and contrasts but usually are cheap and offer high refresh rates at that low cost.

IPS generally have the best picture and until the last few years didnt have the fastest refresh or response time.

Looking at both I would get the IPS panel ones.

thank you for the reply. as another alternative, what about this one: https://geizhals.at/iiyama-g-master-g2530hsu-b1-black-hawk-a1636015.html?hloc=at

or would you stick to the IPS panel regardless?

sinthoras

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Hey there! , I have bought an IPS monitor a week ago and I've carefully been analysing it so far. I'll share my experience for you as I believe it'll help you a lot

+The visual quality of the monitor is very satisfying so far. I have tested on several games/videos. All the reviews kept mentioning "very vibrant and sharp colors" and that is in all honesty very true.

+I have not witnessed any sort of ghosting/input lag problem, which was one of my concerns before I bought it.. As you know, you cannot enable "low input lag mode" and "freesync" simultaneously, therefore I only activate freesync.

+Not that I'll ever use it without a headset, but the sound quality is suprisingly good, just to note.

-The only minus is, yes the IPS Glow is an actual thing. On black screens, I see corners are lighting up
just a bit. Its not a big deal, but you really need to make sure you use the monitor in a room with proper lighting.

So in general, If you are not competing for global elite in cs:go or likewise, you really shouldnt worry about 1ms TN panel. I am playing big single player games such as red dead redemption, outer worlds etc.. therefore I care about visuals and crisp colors more than "pro-gamer performance". Which is why I believe IPS panel is the way to go.

Considering IPS panel is much more advantageous in all aspects except response time, and considering I have not witnessed a single ghosting issue so far, I dont see any way for TN panel to be a better choice than IPS

Solution

jawa

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013

+Not that I'll ever use it without a headset, but the sound quality is suprisingly good, just to note.

-The only minus is, yes the IPS Glow is an actual thing. On black screens, I see corners are lighting up
just a bit. Its not a big deal, but you really need to make sure you use the monitor in a room with proper lighting.

So in general, If you are not competing for global elite in cs:go or likewise, you really shouldnt worry about 1ms TN panel. I am playing big single player games such as red dead redemption, outer worlds etc.. therefore I care about visuals and crisp colors more than "pro-gamer performance". Which is why I believe IPS panel is the way to go.

Considering IPS panel is much more advantageous in all aspects except response time, and considering I have not witnessed a single ghosting issue so far, I dont see any way for TN panel to be a better choice than IPS

thank you very much for sharing your experience! it really helped me decide! i will buy an IPS panel!

best regards