[SOLVED] My GPU will display for 20 minutes (or so) and then cut out. However all the fans still keep running and no display comes back

Aug 13, 2019
I have recently bought a second hand R9 390 and when I installed it, the display lasted around 20 minutes and then suddenly cut out.

Sometimes when I restart, the display will appear but sometimes it won't

My build is as follows:

MB: ASUS B85M-E
GPU: XFX R9 390
PSU: CORSAIR VS650
CPU: Intel i5-4460
RAM: 8GB GSKILLS RIPJAWS X DDR3

I'm not sure whether it is a conflict between my onboard graphics or not - however didn't have any issues with my old GPU

I was thinking of maybe trying to RMA the card but as it is second hand I'm not sure whether I'll be able to

PLEASE HELP!!!

Solution
Are you doing anything in particular when it cuts out? Are you gaming? Rendering? Or are you simply sitting at the desktop?

Likely one of two issues.
1. Driver related. What GPU did you have in there before? Did you remove prior GPU drivers before installing the 390? Have you fully removed the drivers with DDU and reinstalled?

2. PSU related. The VS650 has (at least) two revisions. One with Orange lettering for "VS", one with black.
The older, orange lettering unit is pretty poor quality, and not something I'd consider running a 390 from. The newer, black lettering is a better quality unit, but still a budget oriented unit (reflected by it's 3 year warranty) and not really ideal for a 390.

As far as an RMA goes, XFX don't...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you doing anything in particular when it cuts out? Are you gaming? Rendering? Or are you simply sitting at the desktop?

1. Driver related. What GPU did you have in there before? Did you remove prior GPU drivers before installing the 390? Have you fully removed the drivers with DDU and reinstalled?

2. PSU related. The VS650 has (at least) two revisions. One with Orange lettering for "VS", one with black.
The older, orange lettering unit is pretty poor quality, and not something I'd consider running a 390 from. The newer, black lettering is a better quality unit, but still a budget oriented unit (reflected by it's 3 year warranty) and not really ideal for a 390.

As far as an RMA goes, XFX don't warrant products sold used. Original purchaser only.
  • Products that are purchased used, and not from an authorized reseller. Products purchased used from Ebay, Craiglist, a person to person transactions, or similar methods carry NO Warranty.

Regardless, an R9 390 launched in June of 2015. So the card is potentially ~4 years old.
At best, it might've had a 2 year warranty for the GPU/VRAM itself
XFX Radeon R 300-Series
  1. 2 Year Standard. With registration of product at www.xfxsupport.com

The fans on the card can be warranted longer.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty

Solution
Aug 13, 2019

As far as an RMA goes, XFX don't warrant products sold used. Original purchaser only.

Regardless, an R9 390 launched in June of 2015. So the card is potentially ~4 years old.
At best, it might've had a 2 year warranty for the GPU/VRAM itself

The fans on the card can be warranted longer.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty
Thank you for such a speedy reply.

The first time I started up I had launched straight into a game; and it cut out.
The second time I started up was just idle on the desktop; and it cut out.
The third time I was trying to uninstall/reinstall drivers; but it cut out before I could do so.

The PSU is fresh out the box yesterday; the VS650 with black lettering.

As for RMA-ing the card - I wasn't aware of this :(

As a quick side-note - I had a look at my CPU and there was a noticeable lack of thermal paste so I have ordered some for tomorrow and will reapply - someone suggested this could be the cause of the display cutting out however it never happened with my old GPU?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Try booting into SafeMode, and see if you still see reboots. Generally, if it does, your issue is either the GPU or PSU. If it doesn't, then the issue is more likely to be software/drivers. Not a definitive answer, but might help narrow it down.

As for the lack of thermal paste.... that may explain a thermal event & shutdown, but it doesn't sound like the system is shutting down. It's not powering "off", it's just losing display out. If it were shutting down to save itself, it should...well, shut down.

Aug 13, 2019
Try booting into SafeMode, and see if you still see reboots. Generally, if it does, your issue is either the GPU or PSU. If it doesn't, then the issue is more likely to be software/drivers. Not a definitive answer, but might help narrow it down.

As for the lack of thermal paste.... that may explain a thermal event & shutdown, but it doesn't sound like the system is shutting down. It's not powering "off", it's just losing display out. If it were shutting down to save itself, it should...well, shut down.

Thank you again.

The issue I have here is that I can't always get a display upon boot. It is fairly hit and miss.

I have tried with onboard graphics but obviously that is a bit pointless.

Any more suggestions?

Aug 13, 2019
Managed to update the drivers and get a picture from the boot; however still getting a screen cut out after 20 minutes - could it possibly be an overheat?

As the card is second hand and there is no warranty, is it worth taking apart to see if it is a thermal paste problem?

Oct 9, 2019
Managed to update the drivers and get a picture from the boot; however still getting a screen cut out after 20 minutes - could it possibly be an overheat?

As the card is second hand and there is no warranty, is it worth taking apart to see if it is a thermal paste problem?

The best way to figure out which component is causing it is by replacing each component until you notice that the issue isn't occurring anymore. I'm going through a similar issue where display goes blank/black and GPU fan speed goes 100% and noisy as heck. I wish I had someone from which I could just swap specific components but I'm out of luck, hope you aren't. First start with swapping GPU