Nov 5, 2019
Hi, I just recently built a new computer and after about the first week of using it, it started randomly restarting. It would completely shut off, then turn itself back on within about a second. I noticed that it happens mostly while playing games, but sometimes it will do it even if I'm browsing the internet. I got a little frustrated with it, so I ended up exchanging the parts with new ones, I started with my Ryzen 7 3700x and exchanged it for an Intel core i7 9700k with a water cooler. It was still persisting so I exchanged the RAM and power supply for new ones (same RAM and PSU, just for new ones). The problem still persisted so just yesterday I returned my RTX 2060 with a new one, yet the problem is still occurring. I exchanged almost every single part in here besides the case and the HDD & SSD. My temps are running perfect no matter what I'm doing with my computer, when the PC restarts, it has no Blue Screen of Death, it doesn't come up with any type of error code, it just completely shuts off, then turns right back on and brings me to the windows login screen. I turned off automatic restart with system failure, but the problem bypasses it, unticking it did nothing for me, and too add, nothing is overclocked in my PC as well. Hopefully we can work as a team and get this figured out, not just for me, also for the people who have this problem as well, or who will have it in the future, thank you!!

PC Specs -

PSU - Corsair CX750M (750 Watt Semi-Modular)
CPU - Intel Core i7 9700k
Mobo - MSI Z290 Gaming Plus
RAM - Corsair RGB Pro Vengeance (3200 MHz)
Graphics Card - RTX 2060 Twin Frozr 6GB
Water Cooling - Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
HDD - 1 TB Western Blue
SSD - SunDisk SSD Plus 250 GB

Solution
No it's not a brand new installation of windows, my friend had an extra copy and let me borrow it, but I had to activate it with a product key on the internet. The only reason I don't think it could be my house wiring is because I used to have a PC I used for about 4 years on the same outlet as this one, and with that PC, it never once randomly restarted. If it was house wiring, why would it restart this PC and not the other one I got rid of about a month ago?

Well there is your problem. You need a fresh new windows installation every time you change your motherboard or you are going to have major driver conflicts and stability issues.
Nov 5, 2019
Maybe you have an unstable power flow to your power outlet? Have you tried multiple power outlets and maybe a UPS backup?

I have tried switching it from the extension cord I use to the regular wall outlet, but that didn't help.. If it was an unstable circuit, wouldn't everything that's plugged into it shut off at the same time too? Its only the PC that does it, nothing else that's plugged into the extension cord.

Nov 5, 2019
What kind of changes have you made to the BIOS, if any?
Corsair RGB Pro Vengeance (3200 MHz), is that one or two sticks?

I actually reset my CMOS because I saw that was someone's solution on the internet, but that didn't work for me, resetting the CMOS resets the BIOS as well so I've made no changes to it thus far. I have 2 sticks of 8 GB RGB Pro Vengeance.

I have tried switching it from the extension cord I use to the regular wall outlet, but that didn't help.. If it was an unstable circuit, wouldn't everything that's plugged into it shut off at the same time too? Its only the PC that does it, nothing else that's plugged into the extension cord.
Your PC draws more wattage than probably anything else besides your dryer. It only has to be unstable for a split second to make your pc restart. If you’ve literally changed everything what is the common denominator? Try a UPS

Nov 5, 2019
Your PC draws more wattage than probably anything else besides your dryer. It only has to be unstable for a split second to make your pc restart. If you’ve literally changed everything what is the common denominator? Try a UPS

I'm not interested in just getting an Uninterruptible Power Supply just for this. Is there anything else I can troubleshoot or maybe try?

Last edited:
Well random restarts are usually power or heat. You replaced everything. Stated it isn’t heat. Used the same wall outlet, lol, kinda defeated the purpose of what I asked you to try. Could be your house wiring. You don’t want to try a UPS which would eliminate the power problem if that is it. Guess it’s the end of the road.

Nov 5, 2019
Try to check in safe. Mode if it runs i had similar problem found out it was and os issue so i backed up everything and restored my pc.

What should I do in safe mode to try and test it out? Just run a few games and see if it resets? You had the same issue and you found out it was an OC issue? How did you do that exactly?

Nov 5, 2019
Is this a brand new installation of windows?

No it's not a brand new installation of windows, my friend had an extra copy and let me borrow it, but I had to activate it with a product key on the internet. The only reason I don't think it could be my house wiring is because I used to have a PC I used for about 4 years on the same outlet as this one, and with that PC, it never once randomly restarted. If it was house wiring, why would it restart this PC and not the other one I got rid of about a month ago?

Well there is your problem. You need a fresh new windows installation every time you change your motherboard or you are going to have major driver conflicts and stability issues.

Solution
Nov 5, 2019
I didn’t say that. I said instal windows fresh and instal all needed drivers. If you’ve used different motherboards on the same installation of windows you have created driver incompatibilities. Idk how this is being misconstrued.

I will give it a shot and update this post with further notice, I really appreciate the tips and my apologies for the miss conception.

Nov 5, 2019
No worries, hope it helps.

So, yesterday I clean wiped my HDD and SSD and installed a new version of Windows 10 on my PC, it did in fact restart again... I'm baffled at this point. Please, if anyone else has any suggestions please LET ME KNOW!!! This has been going on for a minute now and I have no clue what else to do.

So, yesterday I clean wiped my HDD and SSD and installed a new version of Windows 10 on my PC, it did in fact restart again... I'm baffled at this point. Please, if anyone else has any suggestions please LET ME KNOW!!! This has been going on for a minute now and I have no clue what else to do.

it may be restarting due to a blue screen (BSOD) so i would go into "startup and recovery" and disable the option to automatically restart under system failiure. then the next time it tries to restart you should see an error come up

Nov 5, 2019
it may be restarting due to a blue screen (BSOD) so i would go into "startup and recovery" and disable the option to automatically restart under system failiure. then the next time it tries to restart you should see an error come up

I already have that disabled, like i said, it completely bypasses it whether its disabled or not, it still restarts. It isn't BSOD because absolutely nothing pops up when it happens, it just shuts off then turns itself back on, maybe 2 seconds later.

Last edited: