Jan 10, 2021
Hey! After many days of research, I finally finished with selecting the components for my future PC. I must say that without help from members of this wonderful forum I would never do that. So thank you, everyone. Right now before I press the button "Buy Now" I need to get approval from you, guys.
Here it is... My ultimate PC for game development (rendering 4K videos and images) :
  • Motherboard -ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI)
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • CPU Cooler - DEEPCOOL CASTLE 360 RGB V2
  • GPU - ASUS RX460
  • RAM - G.Skill TRIDENT Z [F4-3600C16D-16GTZKW] 16GB 2X (16-16-16-36)
  • Power Supply - SEASONIC Focus Plus SSR-550PX ATX 550W Platinum
  • SSD - SAMSUNG M.2 2280 980 PRO 1.0TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe V-NAND 3bit MLC (MZ-V8P1T0BW)
  • Case - Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
  • PC Fans -DEEPCOOL 500-1500RPM PWM RGB RF120 (3 IN 1)
So what do you think about it? Tell me your honest opinion!
This extreme build will not blow up one day? Have I selected components correctly? :unsure:
I'm very nervous cause this is my first PC. I'm afraid to make a mistake.

Solution
You might want a 650 W PSU for an RTX 3080, as some RTX 3080 rigs can consume 500W+. I'm not saying you should, but you might wanna have that bit of extra headroom. Also, like Nemesia said, Samsung SSDs are expensive. I'd get something else with twice the capacity if I were you. You don't need the fastest SSD available as the gains are very little.

If you want a PSU recommendation, please tell us where you are from and a link to your local online store for reference.
Hi Russellchance.

This is an amazing system but I would definitely make some changes on that.

Why is the GPU only a RX 460?

The RAM. Is that 2 2x8GB Kit or 1 2x16GB kit? Don't mix the RAM. Go for 1 kit with the total amount you need.

That 980 pro is not cheap and you could probably get a 2TB PCIe 3.0 instead of a 1TB PCIe 4.0.

That PSU might be ok for that RX 460 but the moment you upgrade that GPU you will need a new PSU.

Reactions: russellchance
Jan 10, 2021
GPU is rather lacking.
Yes, I know. It's my old GPU. As soon as prices will back to normal I'll get RTX 3080.
Only 16GB RAM? Or is that 2x, for 32GB?
2X (32GB)
Only the one storage device?
I have 2 1TB hard disks from my old PC. I'll put them in use in the new PC.
You may need a better PSU to go with the better GPU
Any suggestions, please?
Whats your plan for backups?
I have none... I guess.

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: russellchance
Jan 10, 2021
Hi Russellchance.

This is an amazing system but I would definitely make some changes on that.
Hello! :) I'll gladly hear your opinion.
Why is the GPU only a RX 460?
It's GPU from my old PC! It is working fine, the reason why I don't want to buy a new GPU right now is because of the... prices. I'll wait until prices will go back to normal and buy myself RTX 3080.
The RAM. Is that 2 2x8GB Kit or 1 2x16GB kit? Don't mix the RAM. Go for 1 kit with the total amount you need.
2X (32GB in total).
That 980 pro is not cheap and you could probably get a 2TB PCIe 3.0 instead of a 1TB PCIe 4.0.
I read reviews, most people say that this is the best SSD, so I picked it up. I know it's not cheap.
That PSU might be ok for that RX 460 but the moment you upgrade that GPU you will need a new PSU.
Any suggestions, please?

Jan 10, 2021
Jan 10, 2021
Depends on your tools.
But probably, yes.
  • Unity
  • DAZ
  • 4K Videos and images rendering
Here is RAM which I want to buy.
  • G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 64GB 3600MHz (4x16GB kit) Latency : CL16-19-19-39 1.35V
  • G.Skill TRIDENT Z 32GB 3600MHz (4x8GB kit) Latency : CL16-16-16-36 1.35V
I don't know which should I pick up. 64GB version have a higher latency and that's is bothering me.

USAFRet

Titan
Will that high latency not affect performance at all?
I'm asking because I want to buy 64GB so that I don't need to upgrade RAM in the future.
Only in comparison to a different set of 64GB, with better latency.

Having 'faster' RAM is meaningless if it is not 'enough' RAM.

Like a 2 seat car vs 4 seat.
The 2 seat sports car is faster. But useless when you need to transport 4 people.

You might want a 650 W PSU for an RTX 3080, as some RTX 3080 rigs can consume 500W+. I'm not saying you should, but you might wanna have that bit of extra headroom. Also, like Nemesia said, Samsung SSDs are expensive. I'd get something else with twice the capacity if I were you. You don't need the fastest SSD available as the gains are very little.

If you want a PSU recommendation, please tell us where you are from and a link to your local online store for reference.

Solution