GTRSILENTX

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys, I am planning to build a new PC for gaming and productivity (mostly Software Development). For the time being, I'll be using a single 1440p monitor for the time being with no plans on upgrading to a 4k display for at least 2 years.

Budget Range: ~$2500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Sim-Racing, Gaming, Software Development

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440

Additional Comments: In games, I will be playing sim-racing titles such as iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizion and other titles such as Red Dead Redemption 2 and Battlefield.

I've come up with the following parts,

CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor | $549.00
CPU Cooler | Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $169.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $219.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $219.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Seagate FireCuda 520 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $179.99 @ B&H
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card | $869.99
Case | Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | $92.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $149.99 @ B&H
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan | Corsair iCUE QL120 41.8 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack | $115.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $2667.91

I am a bit confused between the 5800X and 5900X and also the motherboard. I am not going to overclock this system but I am going to use this system for a long time.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I want to get the RGB right. Correct me if I'm wrong, what I think is, I'll plug the pump and the CPU fans from the CPU cooler into the "Commander CORE" and then for the remaining case fans, I'll plug them into the "Lighting Node CORE" which is included in the fans. Both will be powered by a SATA connector, and both of them will be plugged into the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. Will this allow me to sync the all lighting (CPU Cooler and Fans) through iCUE?

Thanks!

Last edited:

GTRSILENTX

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
5900X = 12 cores / 24 threads
5800X = 8 cores / 16 threads

I'd drop down to a 5800X and size up on your SSD.

Something such as this for an example.

https://www.newegg.com/pny-2tb-cs2130/p/0RN-002V-003B4
PNY CS2130 M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 3D NAND Internal SSD $232.29

I see, I initially thought it would be a good idea to kind of "future proof" this build by going with a 5900X but it seems like 5800X is a better option.

I am also unsure about the motherboard, I have heard mixed reviews about that motherboard regarding it's build quality and wiring of sockets, will this motherboard be a good one or should I go with something like MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI?

Regarding the SSD, are you saying to drop the Gen 4 drive and go with a larger capacity drive?

Reactions: Why_Me
I see, I initially thought it would be a good idea to kind of "future proof" this build by going with a 5900X but it seems like 5800X is a better option.

I am also unsure about the motherboard, I have heard mixed reviews about that motherboard regarding it's build quality and wiring of sockets, will this motherboard be a good one or should I go with something like MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI?

Regarding the SSD, are you saying to drop the Gen 4 drive and go with a larger capacity drive?
I've seen that MSI board recommended a lot on here. As for the SSD ... size matters.

You're looking at these speeds with that PNY I linked.

3,500 MB/s seq. read and 3,000 MB/s seq. write speeds.

Reactions: GTRSILENTX

GTRSILENTX

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
I've seen that MSI board recommended a lot on here. As for the SSD ... size matters.

You're looking at these speeds with that PNY I linked.

3,500 MB/s seq. read and 3,000 MB/s seq. write speeds.

I think I'm gonna go with that SSD, it's like $40 more for double the storage, compared to ~$400 for the Gen4 Seagate.

Thanks!

Other than that, what do you think about other components?

Thanks!

One more thing, If I decide to upgrade to a Gen4 drive in the future will I able to pair it with this existing Gen3 drive and run them simultaneously? Assuming that the motherboard has 2 m.2 slots.
M.2 Shield Frozr on there.

A686S2007064rJQl.jpg

Also, regarding RGB, is my understanding correct regarding the connections and the lighting sync?

• Aura Lighting Control
  • Aura RGB Strip Headers
  • Addressable Gen 2 Header

GTRSILENTX

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012

• Aura Lighting Control
  • Aura RGB Strip Headers
  • Addressable Gen 2 Header

I think I'm gonna go with the Tomahawk. I was asking if I could control everything via iCUE, as almost all RGB products are from Corsair and was unsure about the connections.

YoIAmDashing

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I like your build 👍
Though I think you should change your computer case. The 4000D airflow is decent but I think you could do better. I would go for the lian li lancool 2 mesh it should have noticeably better thermals.

Here is a link to buy Lian li Lancool II mesh:

https://www.newegg.com/black-lian-l...VVCGtBh2LJgrcEAQYBSABEgIc-PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is a link to a review of Lian Li Lancool II mesh:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-lancool-ii-mesh-performance-review

I also think you should change your PSU it’s a good PSU it would be good for your system but the RM850x 2021 would be great for your system! It has great performance and excellent build quality

Here is a link of the RM850x:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...opping&utm_term="keyword"&utm_content=corsair

Here is link to review of RM850x:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-2021-power-supply-review

Your build is gonna be great! I hope you have a fun time building and playing the latest games!