Question New PC build experiencing random stutters during gaming/watching streams, even after a few hardware changes ?

Dec 12, 2022
Hello everyone!

My friend and I recently built a PC (since my old one was really old). I had purchased a Ryzen 5900x about 2 years ago but couldn't really do anything due to financial issues. Fast forward last month, my friend finally helped me build it after I purchased all the components. However, I started noticing that while gaming where was VERY BAD stuttering especially if I was multitasking ( i.e. Gaming on one monitor, youtube playing on the other. etc. ) The stuttering was so bad, that not only did the game stutter, but even the RBG lights on my Corsair K68 keyboard stuttered with it as well. We thought it was a potential CPU issue so I switched to Intel almost 2 weeks ago (since 13th gen came out) so I swapped the motherboard and purchased a 13700k. For a while, I thought the problem stopped until I encountered it again to a lesser degree, but it's still annoying to see. I'm getting desperate after investing a lot of money into this so my anxiety is flaring up. Any input would be appreciated!

My original build was:
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4
GPU: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Video Card
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1tb / Crucial MX500 1 Tb
Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB

After I switched thinking it was a CPU issue, the same components listed above are in my new build except for
New CPU: Intel 13700K
New Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700
(the rest is still the same)

The stuttering on my new build isn't as bad as the Ryzen one, but it's still there and still pretty annoying. On the Ryzen build, the stutters were frequent and pretty strong. It still happens on the new one, but also happens while I'm watching streams or Youtube, albeit not too frequent and maybe once or twice a day, where it happens several times during gaming but not as bad as the first one. My friend and I still are confused as to what is causing the issue, if its software related or some hardware issue we might be overlooking. I still don't know what to do at this point or what steps to take. I need some help, please :(.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm....

For a while, I thought the problem stopped until I encountered it again to a lesser degree, but it's still annoying to see.

What happened that caused the stutters to reappear?

Since from clean Win install, you had smooth sailing, right? But something happened, software wise, that caused the stutters to come back. So, time to figure out what you did. And if you can't, make another, clean Win install, while keeping an eye out when stutters come back again. So that you know what you did.

On hardware standpoint, i'd suspect RAM. But since you had smooth sailing from clean Win install until some point (right?), it indicates software issue.

Dec 12, 2022
Hmm....

What happened that caused the stutters to reappear?

Since from clean Win install, you had smooth sailing, right? But something happened, software wise, that caused the stutters to come back. So, time to figure out what you did. And if you can't, make another, clean Win install, while keeping an eye out when stutters come back again. So that you know what you did.

On hardware standpoint, i'd suspect RAM. But since you had smooth sailing from clean Win install until some point (right?), it indicates software issue.
Nothing happened I just assumed it was gone cause I played a game for like 10 minutes just to check if the problem was going to reoccur but it didn't during those 10 minutes so I assumed it was fine since on my old one it happened right as I started gaming. Later on that night when I actually started playing for a while was when the problem happened again but not as bad as the previous build. Only thing I downloaded was bnet (since I play OW) and steam. Do you actually think its the RAM if its a hardware issue? My friend did a small RAM test and said it was fine but I'm not too sure since I'm not familiar with too much hardware stuff :eek:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing happened I just assumed it was gone cause I played a game for like 10 minutes just to check if the problem was going to reoccur but it didn't during those 10 minutes so I assumed it was fine

So, it was smooth from the beginning?

Only thing I downloaded was bnet (since I play OW) and steam.

But you still did something, you downloaded 3rd party software, other than the Windows drivers/updates.

Do you actually think its the RAM if its a hardware issue?

Usually, stutters are RAM issues. And Ryzen CPUs are far more capricious to RAM and it's issues than Intel CPUs are. Possibly also explaining why stutters were severe on Ryzen and not so much on Intel.

My friend did a small RAM test

What kind of test? :unsure:
Since proper RAM testing, with memtest86, takes easy 8+ hours.

memtest86: https://www.memtest86.com/index.html
guide to set it up and how to use it: https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-window.html

Dec 12, 2022
So, it was smooth from the beginning?

But you still did something, you downloaded 3rd party software, other than the Windows drivers/updates.

Usually, stutters are RAM issues. And Ryzen CPUs are far more capricious to RAM and it's issues than Intel CPUs are. Possibly also explaining why stutters were severe on Ryzen and not so much on Intel.

What kind of test? :unsure:
Since proper RAM testing, with memtest86, takes easy 8+ hours.

memtest86: https://www.memtest86.com/index.html
guide to set it up and how to use it: https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-window.html
Oh, oops! I thought you meant like something else like MSI afterburner or something which I heard can cause problems. But nah just those 2 things. It was smooth for 10 minutes like I said, and when I played again that night after 50 minutes to an hour that's when I saw it happening again.

I didn't know that! I knew Ryzen was like that but didn't think it would make much of a difference with RAM! Do you think something is physically wrong with the RAM? And my friend ran memtest but only for like 45 minutes or so LOL. I didn't think it would take 8+ hours!!! :eek:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do you think something is physically wrong with the RAM? And my friend ran memtest but only for like 45 minutes or so LOL. I didn't think it would take 8+ hours!!! :eek:

Memtest86 will tell you if your RAM produces errors or not.

Though, do note that there are 13 separate tests, within 1 pass of memtest86,
description: https://www.memtest86.com/tech_individual-test-descr.html

And one pass, roughly, takes 1h per 8GB. However, this is dependent on the memory configuration. For example, a single stick of 16GB may take 2.5 hours or longer, compared to two 8GB modules taking 2 hours to test. So, your 2x 16GB set, for 1 pass, can take ~5 hours.

It is best to do several passes. Due to this, best time to do it, is overnight, when you sleep.

But if you want to be as thorough as possible, then;
Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32 bit pattern]

This is a variation of the moving inversions algorithm that shifts the data pattern left one bit for each successive address. The starting bit position is shifted left for each pass. To use all possible data patterns 32 passes are required. This test is quite effective at detecting data sensitive errors but the execution time is long.

32 passes, times ~5 hours = ~160 hours, and then some (or 6 days and 16 hours, perhaps even entire week, or even more) of memtest86 continuously running, testing RAM. :pt1cable:

That being said, running memtest86 for a mere 45 mins, is nowhere near enough to fully test the RAM. Heck, it even doesn't scratch the surface. :LOL:

One full pass, is bare minimum. Two passes (~12 hours) is better, while 4 passes is acceptable (~24 hours).

So.... get testing. :sol:

Dec 12, 2022

And one pass, roughly, takes 1h per 8GB. However, this is dependent on the memory configuration. For example, a single stick of 16GB may take 2.5 hours or longer, compared to two 8GB modules taking 2 hours to test. So, your 2x 16GB set, for 1 pass, can take ~5 hours.

It is best to do several passes. Due to this, best time to do it, is overnight, when you sleep.

32 passes, times ~5 hours = ~160 hours, and then some (or 6 days and 16 hours, perhaps even entire week, or even more) of memtest86 continuously running, testing RAM. :pt1cable:

That being said, running memtest86 for a mere 45 mins, is nowhere near enough to fully test the RAM. Heck, it even doesn't scratch the surface. :LOL:

One full pass, is bare minimum. Two passes (~12 hours) is better, while 4 passes is acceptable (~24 hours).

Alright, I'll start performing the test when I have time later on in the week (since I still need the PC for work stuff) and I'll get back to you and let you know if anything happens!

Dec 12, 2022

So I completed the tests no errors and I even got some new RAM from a friend just to be sure, and the problem still happens :/

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Take out your GPU, completely, hook monitor to MoBo and use CPU's iGPU. Look if you still get your stutters.

Now, you may not be able to game on iGPU, but you can do web browsing and other light tasks. Look if stutters remain.

Btw, what are your temps? Both idle and under load?

What monitor are you using? And was GPU brought brand new, or used/from 2nd hand market?

Dec 12, 2022
Take out your GPU, completely, hook monitor to MoBo and use CPU's iGPU. Look if you still get your stutters.

Now, you may not be able to game on iGPU, but you can do web browsing and other light tasks. Look if stutters remain.

Btw, what are your temps? Both idle and under load?

What monitor are you using? And was GPU brought brand new, or used/from 2nd hand market?
Okay, I'll do that for a couple of days and see what happens.

My CPU temps idle are around 35-37c and under load its 83-87c, (There is one core that always goes to 93-94 under load) but those are the temps.

I have 2 monitors both 27inch. One is an LG Ultragear 27gl83a and the other one is an AOC 27 IPS. Can a GPU issues cause system stutters? Even stutters on my RGB lights on my keyboard? And I got this GPU brand new on Newegg!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and under load its 83-87c

This is too hot.

one core that always goes to 93-94 under load

And this is thermal throttle.

Can a GPU issues cause system stutters? Even stutters on my RGB lights on my keyboard?

It comes down between CPU and GPU, since RAM is validated and working normally.

At this point, my main suspect is CPU, especially since you have it running too hot, which shouldn't be an issue due to your high end AIO. Unless..., do you have an OC on CPU? :unsure:

From TH i7-13700K review:
We peaked at 85C during stock operation with our 280mm Corsair H115i, and ran in the 95C range during heavily threaded workloads with a 5.5 GHz overclock.
Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-13700k-cpu-review/2

So, if you have CPU OC on, remove it and run stock clocks. If you don't have CPU OC on, make sure AIO pump runs 100% and also set your rad fans to 100%. I know that this may cause audible noise out of PC, but it's only way to attempt to reduce high temps under load.

If we could get your CPU running below 80C on load, it may fix the stutter issues.

-----

GPU can also produce stutters, namely during gaming. Whereby there's an issue with GPU and you'll be getting way too much 1% low FPS, where the gap between that and average FPS is quite big, resulting in a visible stutter.

E.g my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), has 6th gen Intel Core i5 and when i open up heavy workload task, my RGB lights on my KB also stutter for a bit, until load on CPU is lowered. Then again, my CPU is 4c/4t and nowhere near the performance your Core i7, with 16c/24t.

One is an LG Ultragear 27gl83a and the other one is an AOC 27 IPS.

LG is 2K (1440p), 144Hz monitor. AOC is what? Reso and Hz? Either type the AOC model name, or link it's specs. Like so,
LG specs: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl83a-b-gaming-monitor#pdp_spec

Dec 12, 2022
This is too hot.

And this is thermal throttle.

It comes down between CPU and GPU, since RAM is validated and working normally.

At this point, my main suspect is CPU, especially since you have it running too hot, which shouldn't be an issue due to your high end AIO. Unless..., do you have an OC on CPU? :unsure:

From TH i7-13700K review:

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-13700k-cpu-review/2

So, if you have CPU OC on, remove it and run stock clocks. If you don't have CPU OC on, make sure AIO pump runs 100% and also set your rad fans to 100%. I know that this may cause audible noise out of PC, but it's only way to attempt to reduce high temps under load.

If we could get your CPU running below 80C on load, it may fix the stutter issues.

-----

GPU can also produce stutters, namely during gaming. Whereby there's an issue with GPU and you'll be getting way too much 1% low FPS, where the gap between that and average FPS is quite big, resulting in a visible stutter.

E.g my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), has 6th gen Intel Core i5 and when i open up heavy workload task, my RGB lights on my KB also stutter for a bit, until load on CPU is lowered. Then again, my CPU is 4c/4t and nowhere near the performance your Core i7, with 16c/24t.

LG is 2K (1440p), 144Hz monitor. AOC is what? Reso and Hz? Either type the AOC model name, or link it's specs. Like so,
LG specs: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl83a-b-gaming-monitor#pdp_spec
Well remember I also had a Ryzen before I switched to intel thinking it was a CPU problem, unless I had thermal throttling on both the Ryzen and Intel. The OC on the CPU isn't on. But then again, Ryzen does run super hot compared to Intel so the throttling would be worse on the Ryzen just like how it was for me. But as far as CPU settings go, I haven't changed anything.

My friend is going to let me borrow his 3070 for a few days to rule out the GPU issue.

Also my AOC monitor is the AOC 27G2 Frameless IPS. ( I had these same monitors on my older PC before I built this one and Ryzen one and was fine on a 8600k with a 1070 GPU).

So I guess it could coincidentally be a throttling issue or a problem with the GPU.

Dec 12, 2022
Did i see it right, that your AOC is 1080p monitor?

I lean towards CPU thermal issue, but GPU can't be excluded either. Until further testing is done, that is.
Hey! Small update. Reapplied thermal paste on CPU and fixed case fans to position for better airflow. Way much better temps. Was between 48-55C while gaming and didn't really reach higher numbers as it used to. However, problems still persisted. Still had stuttering here and there while playing games, watching videos, and keyboard RGB stutter.

I downloaded Elden Ring just to test out more games and also downloaded GPUz to monitor GPU usage and function. During character creation, there was very BAD stuttering. Like super bad. Happened like 3 times in the game during a 10 min window. While it happened, I glanced over at GPUz and saw that the GPU load actually massively dipped from like 70-80% all the way down to 10-11%, and the stuttering only happened during those low dips. So might actually be a GPU problem? I returned it and I'm waiting to get refund to get another one.

In the meantime, I'm just using my PC with integrated graphics and just gonna stick to watching streams, youtube, music and other light things. Gonna see if I get stutter still. So far nothing yet, but just being cautious! Sorry for bothering you with this btw. :(

Dec 12, 2022
Well, any update is nice. Also, this topic is for everyone who may have similar issue and reading troubleshooting steps + eventual fix, may help them out. :)
Okay, I confirmed. It's still happening. I changed MoBo, RAM, CPU. Just returned my GPU. Which leaves the PSU and Main/Storage SSD's. Lol. I Literally have practically built a whole new PC trying to figure out 1 problem