Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
What in your opinion should I upgrade on my rig which would make the MOST impact? I'm thinking ssd, cpu or gpu?

Current rig:
CHASSI: Corsair graphite 600T white
MOBO: Gigabyte z97x gaming 3
CPU: Intel i5 4590 3.3GHz (thinking of boosting to 3.5GHz if that makes difference)
RAM: Ballistix 16gb 1600mhz
GPU: Asus gtx 970 strix 4gb oc dc2
PSU: Corsair hx850w

Thank you!

Solution
I'd start off with the SSD, while this has little impact on gaming besides loading screens it will make your all around use much faster.

The next upgrade though is a bit trickier and really comes down to your gaming performance. While the 4590 is older it still holds it's own quite well especially when paired with a good GPU. I did a recent, super cheap, upgrade for a friend coming from a X4 965/4gb DD3/R9 290 to the 4590/8gb DDR3 and same GPU. The system before the upgrade could barely play the Division 2 on the lowest settings at 30 FPS, now with the upgrade he was able to play on the High preset at 50-60 FPS or Medium at a steady 60 FPS (1080P/60).

What resolution do you play at?

Are you having issues with lower graphic settings...

WildCard999

Titan
I'd start off with the SSD, while this has little impact on gaming besides loading screens it will make your all around use much faster.

The next upgrade though is a bit trickier and really comes down to your gaming performance. While the 4590 is older it still holds it's own quite well especially when paired with a good GPU. I did a recent, super cheap, upgrade for a friend coming from a X4 965/4gb DD3/R9 290 to the 4590/8gb DDR3 and same GPU. The system before the upgrade could barely play the Division 2 on the lowest settings at 30 FPS, now with the upgrade he was able to play on the High preset at 50-60 FPS or Medium at a steady 60 FPS (1080P/60).

Are you having issues with lower graphic settings or low FPS?

Solution
Jul 30, 2019
Cant upgrade your CPU to much with a z97 motherboard. I think the 6700kor an I54790k is as far as you can go and that would not make a big difference. YOu could get new GPU. But your performance increase would not be as much as expected because your motherboard-CPUwould hold you back some. if you don't have and SSD now that would give you a nice performance increase in loading programs and data much faster.

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Cant upgrade your CPU to much with a z97 motherboard. I think the 6700kor an I54790k is as far as you can go and that would not make a big difference. YOu could get new GPU. But your performance increase would not be as much as expected because your motherboard-CPUwould hold you back some. if you don't have and SSD now that would give you a nice performance increase in loading programs and data much faster.
But I mean an i7 4790k for example would still fit in the mobo socket and with the k I could overclock it above the Base frequency which is already higher than the 4590(4GHz Base clock and then oc on top of those 4GHz would give me a hefty freq. And tjat would sure make a difference right you csnt really ask for a better cpu on 1150 socket than the i7 4790k right? Worth it?

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014

Are you having issues with lower graphic settings or low FPS?
Yes but that's the thing I dont value loading screens and boot time as much since its alrrady fast enough and not really bothering me. It's the actual ingame GPS performance that carries the weight for me, thank you. I dont have any severe issues right now but just curious what would be the next step regarding ingame performance. Im playing at 2560x1440 resolution

WildCard999

Titan
Yes but that's the thing I dont value loading screens and boot time as much since its alrrady fast enough and not really bothering me. It's the actual ingame GPS performance that carries the weight for me, thank you. I dont have any severe issues right now but just curious what would be the next step regarding ingame performance. Im playing at 2560x1440 resolution
At 1440P you'll want a GPU upgrade for sure. I get the RTX 2060 or Vega 56 as a minimum for that resolution.

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
At 1440P you'll want a GPU upgrade for sure. I get the RTX 2060 or Vega 56 as a minimum for that resolution.
For real the rtx 2060? Isnt the rtx Series like the newest top top tier, I was looking at some in the range around gtx 1070 asus dual oc 8gb earlier as an upgrade that would bring me up a notch and suffice I thought?

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
The 1070 would be fine for 1440P (was thinking new, not used). And I forgot about the RX 5700 as well.
Alright thank you might go for a 1070 and/or an ssd perhaps and The AMD cards isnt of relevance for me. Dont really know so much about them whereas all the nvidia cards im familiar with and have read up om. Thank you

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014

WildCard999

Titan
Okay so ive read it and dont really understand what it is and whats the point or attraction of having g- sync or Freesync which also is a difference i dont understand. Thanks
To make a long story short Freesync/Gsync syncs your monitor with the GPU so you don't get screen tearing. Also as long as your within the sync range even if your FPS dips the gameplay will appear smooth.

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
To make a long story short Freesync/Gsync syncs your monitor with the GPU so you don't get screen tearing. Also as long as your within the sync range even if your FPS dips the gameplay will appear smooth.
Alright but whats the point if you dont have screen tearing without it and isnt that what v-sync in game settings is for?

TRENDING THREADS