Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2019
I am aware that Intel HD 3000 is outdated and obsolete so it's only logical to stop support. Though, on the internet people said that windows 8/7 drivers could work. SPOILER: They didn't. I am looking for an alternative to the drivers. I can't even find the I-graphics card on device manager (Yes, I tried showing hidden devices and refreshed a million times) but I know it's in here . I am using an HP Elitebook 8560w and the specs say that it contains the i-graphics. What should I do?

Solution
I do have a discrete GPU in the laptop. BTW I read somewhere that the iGPU might have to be turned on through the BIOS. Is that true and how do I do that?

No. That is typically a desktop feature of the motherboard; generally not available in laptops as they typically need the on-board graphics in order to save battery power. Unless you went into BIOS yourself and disabled them, you don't need to go back in and re-enable them.

Well even if they did switch to the iGPU, wouldn't that be a reason to have it shown in the Device Manager?

As already mentioned, unless you have a Windows 10 driver installed for your specific iGPU, it won't show up in device manager. Since a Windows 10 driver for your specific iGPU does not...
Just an FYI your Graphics Card won't show in device manager until you install it's driver. I will just say generic Microsoft driver bla bla bla.

Another way to side step Windows Not accepting the driver is go back to your device manager left click arrow of Graphics Device , now right click the next pop up and choose to update driver.

Direct it to look on your computer " where you put the Intel driver you downloaded" I would make it easy and put the intel drivers folder on your desktop. Tell it to get the driver from there.

If the Intel driver is just one file .exe get 7zip and and unzip it first or the above instructions won't work.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019
Just an FYI your Graphics Card won't show in device manager until you install it's driver. I will just say generic Microsoft driver bla bla bla.

Another way to side step Windows Not accepting the driver is go back to your device manager left click arrow of Graphics Device , now right click the next pop up and choose to update driver.

Direct it to look on your computer " where you put the Intel driver you downloaded" I would make it easy and put the intel drivers folder on your desktop. Tell it to get the driver from there.

If the Intel driver is just one file .exe get 7zip and and unzip it first or the above instructions won't work.

DUDE!!! I don't see the HD graphics in device manager!

Your laptop is supposed to come with AMD FirePro M5950 GPU discrete graphics adapter.
That is why you can see the device manager.
Any graphics adapter should have a default low res mode that operates without any driver at all.
Otherwise, how could you see to install a driver?

Laptops with both integrated and discrete graphics need to be able to switch to integrated when on battery to save power.

This, I think is done by a composite driver.
I might start by reinstalling the firepro driver if there is a windows 10 version.
It may have the appropriate code to switch.

The driver download linked already is for the wrong version. Check the model number of your laptop from the bottom of it and post it or look it up online. If you know for a fact that your laptop model does not have an AMD or Nvidia discrete graphics card installed, from the link below, download the driver release as a zip file and extract it. Run the setup to see if it will work. If it works, it will install the Windows 8 version of the driver. If it does not install it, you will have to manually install it through device manager, but that is much more involved and I'm not sure how easy it will be to do since the installer installs HDMI audio drivers as well other stuff. You could still try to get a Windows 8.1 license instead of using Windows 10.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...s-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?product=81500

Oct 5, 2019
Your laptop is supposed to come with AMD FirePro M5950 GPU discrete graphics adapter.
That is why you can see the device manager.
Any graphics adapter should have a default low res mode that operates without any driver at all.
Otherwise, how could you see to install a driver?

Laptops with both integrated and discrete graphics need to be able to switch to integrated when on battery to save power.

This, I think is done by a composite driver.
I might start by reinstalling the firepro driver if there is a windows 10 version.
It may have the appropriate code to switch.
Well even if they did switch to the iGPU, wouldn't that be a reason to have it shown in the Device Manager?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I do have a discrete GPU in the laptop. BTW I read somewhere that the iGPU might have to be turned on through the BIOS. Is that true and how do I do that?

No. That is typically a desktop feature of the motherboard; generally not available in laptops as they typically need the on-board graphics in order to save battery power. Unless you went into BIOS yourself and disabled them, you don't need to go back in and re-enable them.

As already mentioned, unless you have a Windows 10 driver installed for your specific iGPU, it won't show up in device manager. Since a Windows 10 driver for your specific iGPU does not exist, Windows 10 supplies a Generic driver for your iGPU which allows it to function at it's most base level.

You're bellyaching about nothing. You got Windows 10 installed and running on your laptop that doesn't support WIndows 10. Very much like Microsoft dropped support for Windows 7, HP dropped support for your laptop. Be happy about it and move on!

-Wolf sends

P.S. and about that username...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.