xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Hi.
I have the following:

• Asus Rog Strix Z490-E Gaming Motherboard.
  • 250GB Nvme SSD (BOOT DRIVE)
  • 1TB Nvme SSD (OTHER DRIVE / GAMES)
My build is made for gaming and it is just about finished. However, I have doubts about the 250gb SSD with respect to storage space. I want to upgrade it to 500gb just to be on the safe side. I am going to save all my games on the 1TB. But I have noticed that many games tend to save files in the boot drive and sometimes the size of those folders will grow in time (take Total War for example where a folder is created under Users/Appdata/Roaming).

First question: Should I go for 500GB or is 250GB enough for boot drive?

Second question: If I were to purchase the 500GB, what can I do with the 250GB? Is there anyway I can connect it to my motherboard and use it as a "third" drive? For example, connect it to one of the free pcie lanes?

Thank you very much.

Solution
Yes. Almost about everything will go on the 1TB. What I said though, worries me. It is the fact that some, if not, most games create a folder on the boot drive.
Yes, they do.
And it is generally not a real issue.

How much space is consumed on it now?
Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to creep over 175GB, the think about moving to a larger drive.

But no need to panic yet.

Other things:
turn hibernation OFF
System Restore points
Check the size of your pagefile

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
I use a 250gb nvme drive for my OS (c: drive) without any problems.
But I do change my download location to my 1tb nvme drive (d:)
I use Windows 10 Home 64 - the basic one.
I am going to save almost everything on the 1TB, but like I mentioned, some games like to make a folder on the boot drive and I am afraid that might grow over time.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes. Almost about everything will go on the 1TB. What I said though, worries me. It is the fact that some, if not, most games create a folder on the boot drive.
Yes, they do.

Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to creep over 175GB, the think about moving to a larger drive.

Other things:
turn hibernation OFF
System Restore points

Solution
Second question: If I were to purchase the 500GB, what can I do with the 250GB? Is there anyway I can connect it to my motherboard and use it as a "third" drive? For example, connect it to one of the free pcie lanes?
Use of 3rd nvme drive will require pcie to m.2 adapter.
You can install it in lower PCIE x16 (x4 mode) slot on your board.

Like this one:

StorageReview-Netstor-Adaptor.jpg

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Yes, they do.

Other things:
turn hibernation OFF
System Restore points
Could you please tell me why and how hibernation must be turned off?