Mar 25, 2020
I used Joey Delgado's video for reference for this build and well here's my results! HELP ME!

Reference Video Link-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ujnl1_hW0&t=669s

I have sorta of the similar build but, my cpu temp runs hot like 77c to 86c under load in COD:MW. System Build- Case-Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 PSU-Thermaltake Smart 500W MOBO- GIGABYTE B450 DS3H CPU- Ryzen 5 2600 w/stock cooler (I've applied thermal paste over and over atleast 3 times, maybe im using wrong technique what would be the best?) GPU- XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8GB Ram- Viper Patriot 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz SSD-M.2 SSD 512GB I also bought two front fans for case Corsair AF120 1500rpm. Whats the problem for my my high cpu temps,as in the video his dont run that hot?

I know the XFX RX 590 Fatboy runs hot so Im understanding of that but my CPU cmon man, he even uses the stock cooler, which I plan to upgrade after this corona virus mess, but need help for now. I have Artic MX-4 Thermal paste if you guys think thats the problem.

Solution
The thermal paste plays such a small part in a cooler's performance... TOOTHPASTE can even be used as a makeshift thermal compound - some is better than none at all.
Cooler heatsink > fans > thermal paste application > paste brand

That out of the way, I watched the video, and...
-RX 580 gets over 80C in R6 Siege - not bad, but not great either
-CSGO runs on potato hardware, so it's not really pushing either cpu nor gpu - NEXT!
-GTA V is borderline 80C on the gpu
-Overwatch was a joke! Over 85C on the poor gpu!
-PUBG also over 85C on the gpu! WTH!
-Fortnite over 85C as well!
The thermal limit on the RX 580 varies between models in the range of 85-90C!
By the way, your RX 590 is a pre-overclocked RX 580, so temps should be even worse...

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
have you tried testing with the side off to see maybe if air flow is an issue. ? could be that there isn't enough exhaust for case , id try testing with side off to see if temps are much different, if they were id look at more exhaust fans, 77°C isn't that hot under full load, 86° is a tad hot for sure but under full load maybe not I have similar hardware however i also have 5 140mm fans and a 120mm , 3 intake, 3 exhaust (plus GPU and CPU fans of course)

Reactions: playboi.real

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The thermal paste plays such a small part in a cooler's performance... TOOTHPASTE can even be used as a makeshift thermal compound - some is better than none at all.

-CSGO runs on potato hardware, so it's not really pushing either cpu nor gpu - NEXT!
By the way, your RX 590 is a pre-overclocked RX 580, so temps should be even worse! Just checked it, and the thermal limit for the 590 Fatboy is 85C!

The case is crap, plain and simple. The hardware - especially the gpu, can't breathe in that hot box of a case.
The front fans don't do anything, because there's next to no space for them to pull any air through!

Those build guides are something else... Well, there are some good ones out there, but this guy is a joke himself.

You just need a new case is all.

EDIT: So terrible of me to overlook this, but the psu isn't good either. A cheap 500w Thermaltake unit + a hot box of a case + overheating RX 580 = future disaster.

Reactions: playboi.real
Solution
Mar 25, 2020

By the way, your RX 590 is a pre-overclocked RX 580, so temps should be even worse! Just checked it, and the thermal limit for the 590 Fatboy is 85C!

The case is crap, plain and simple. The hardware - especially the gpu, can't breathe in that hot box of a case.
The front fans don't do anything, because there's next to no space for them to pull any air through!

Those build guides are something else... Well, there are some good ones out there, but this guy is a joke himself.

You just need a new case is all.

EDIT: So terrible of me to overlook this, but the psu isn't good either. A cheap 500w Thermaltake unit + a hot box of a case + overheating RX 580 = future disaster.

I see what your saying I planned on getting a new case, and power supply and new cpu cooler, do you think that will hurt me in the next 3 months to deal with temps like that on a regular basis as my states in lockdown for during this coronavirus. Also Im not as concerned wit the GPU temps as I am the CPU because of the guy having relativley the same case and processor and cooler and my temp are in the high 70's and even high 80's while gaming on MW while its not consistently that theirs peaks and whatnot but still, shouldnt mine be somewhat in the range like 60-76c as his cpu temp was?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see what your saying I planned on getting a new case, and power supply and new cpu cooler, do you think that will hurt me in the next 3 months to deal with temps like that on a regular basis
Time will tell, but know that thermal degradation is a thing.
The cpu has a good deal more thermal headroom(95C) compared to your gpu(85C). Riding on the border of thermal limits like that isn't good in the long run. If it means running with the front and side panels off until you can replace the case, then so be it.

Also Im not as concerned wit the GPU temps as I am the CPU because of the guy having relativley the same case and processor and cooler
That 'guy' is one of many phonies on Youtube as far as I'm concerned. He's spreading bad advice to 'green' builders AND making money off unaware folks like yourself and the companies that sponsor him, if any.

Your RX 590 runs hotter and draws more power than a 580, and to make matters worse:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBN2KDiw-V8

The cooler is bad. /facepalm

my temp are in the high 70's and even high 80's while gaming on MW while its not consistently that theirs peaks and whatnot but still, shouldnt mine be somewhat in the range like 60-76c as his cpu temp was?
Cpu temps are probably worse because you added fans in the front, thus changing the entire flow of the air through the case, and it's working against what you originally intended.
Plus there's the matter of your hotter gpu. A little bit of the gpu's exhaust does get absorbed into the cpu cooler, after all.

Mar 25, 2020
have you tried testing with the side off to see maybe if air flow is an issue. ? could be that there isn't enough exhaust for case , id try testing with side off to see if temps are much different, if they were id look at more exhaust fans, 77°C isn't that hot under full load, 86° is a tad hot for sure but under full load maybe not I have similar hardware however i also have 5 140mm fans and a 120mm , 3 intake, 3 exhaust (plus GPU and CPU fans of course)
I did this and my temps are now 59c max, so maybe its my case as a whole which is depressing, as with this coronavirus deal i cant really get my case as I need it

Mar 25, 2020
Time will tell, but know that thermal degradation is a thing.
The cpu has a good deal more thermal headroom(95C) compared to your gpu(85C). Riding on the border of thermal limits like that isn't good in the long run. If it means running with the front and side panels off until you can replace the case, then so be it.

That 'guy' is one of many phonies on Youtube as far as I'm concerned. He's spreading bad advice to 'green' builders AND making money off unaware folks like yourself and the companies that sponsor him, if any.

Your RX 590 runs hotter and draws more power than a 580, and to make matters worse:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBN2KDiw-V8

The cooler is bad. /facepalm

Cpu temps are probably worse because you added fans in the front, thus changing the entire flow of the air through the case, and it's working against what you originally intended.
Plus there's the matter of your hotter gpu. A little bit of the gpu's exhaust does get absorbed into the cpu cooler, after all.

Alright so I took off side panel and cpu temps, drastically got better. from 77 to 79c to 59c, which means you were right in the case being trash, as being a new pc builder just went with the first case I seen close to the price and seen on other builds. Well now I've learned a thing or two lol do my homework on something before I buy. The GPU i plan on upgrading later this year or early next but for rn if i get a better case will i see lower temps in the gpu like i did in the CPU? Also can i fit my mATX motherboard into a ATX Case so my gpu and other components have more breath room, or should I stick with a mATX case? and Final question, will i degrade my PC or its components by leaving the panel off for the next 3 months? If you answer all my questions, Thank you so much as I'm young and jus made some poor impulsive choice by winging it, because the rush of wanting to build it on a budget. Thanks again for your input, You have taught me alot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
if i get a better case will i see lower temps in the gpu like i did in the CPU?
Yes. Although not as drastic compared to the cpu if the Gamers' Nexus video is anything to go by.

Also can i fit my mATX motherboard into a ATX Case so my gpu and other components have more breath room, or should I stick with a mATX case?
Yes, if that's what you want to do.
There are SFF(small form factor) cases that deliver on airflow if you want to stay that route - it's just that the Masterbox Lite 3.1 wasn't one of them.
-Thermaltake Core V21
-Fractal Design Focus G Mini
-Cooler Master Masterbox NR400
^These are a few.

will i degrade my PC or its components by leaving the panel off for the next 3 months?
Oh no, you'll just have to dust it out more frequently. You don't have any pets, do you? You know, so you're not getting pet hair all up in the heatsinks etc, because that'll clog up the fans faster than plain old dust will.

Mar 25, 2020
Yes. Although not as drastic compared to the cpu if the Gamers' Nexus video is anything to go by.

Yes, if that's what you want to do.
There are SFF(small form factor) cases that deliver on airflow if you want to stay that route - it's just that the Masterbox Lite 3.1 wasn't one of them.
-Thermaltake Core V21
-Fractal Design Focus G Mini
-Cooler Master Masterbox NR400
^These are a few.

Oh no, you'll just have to dust it out more frequently. You don't have any pets, do you? You know, so you're not getting pet hair all up in the heatsinks etc, because that'll clog up the fans faster than plain old dust will.
NO Pets just sitting under my desk, so dust will be minimal, and use plain old air duster to clean, maybe some q tips with rubbing alcohol. and cases I'm considering, which you think would be best for airflow because im not using all the water cooling stuff, but for optimal airflow.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FL1D5RV?aaxitk=YGtfBFeNulaPIfDft0Tdrg
https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-H510-Management-Water-Cooling-Construction/dp/B07TC76671/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26SKTLE758BQE&keywords=atx+pc+case&qid=1585211653&s=electronics&sprefix=atx+pc,electronics,172&sr=1-3
or just use this mATX case-
https://www.amazon.com/darkFlash-Mi...ase&qid=1585203888&s=electronics&sr=1-11&th=1

Sorry to bother you, but just seem to be well experienced and I like talking with someone who knows whats up.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020
The H510 - there is a caveat with this one though. Due to how NZXT designed the case, adding fans will do more harm than good.
The cpu will see a few degrees lower, but the gpu temps will actually go up:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340 (check the cpu and gpu torture results)
so im better off going wit the other ones?lol or what about these 2-
https://www.amazon.com/ABKONCORE-Cr...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Airf...x+pc+case&qid=1585214108&s=electronics&sr=1-6
or the other 2 besides the H510, because obviously i want fans and i read so the NZXT is oof the table. so out of the 4 cases(deciding between theses on this comment and the other 2 on the last comment/excluding the NZXT} I showed you what would you prefer for my build. After this Im done and ready to transfer tot the new case. Thanks Again!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That came out wrong. What I meant to say is that the H510 is GOOD - but there's no need to add fans in it, as the stock fan config is the best overall setup.

-I'm not familiar with Abkoncore, so I can't really comment on the quality of their cases.
-The 275 Airflow is good, but cable management space is going to be TIGHT if the power supply isn't fully modular.