Mar 22, 2019
So I've recently upgraded a 760 to 1060 6gb. At first it was working decently, after exchanging cpu cooler due to the old one being too old I found my pc crashing a lot. It would out of nowhere cut straight to the boot screen.

I've been trying to find all the methods, at first thinking it's my Windows 10, switching to Windows 7 and realising the same thing happens. I then thought it may be the hard drive, replaced it and it still kept on occurring. After going back to my 760 I realised it was working completely fine which made me beg the question, is it my gpu? I did more research and thought it's my drivers, after trying to update them and change them it just ended the same way, with my Windows crashing.

I do have an unbranded 850w psu which I'm thinking could be a problem however I don't have any spare psu to check. When I run Windows without drivers though, it works fine which confuses me, I'm not sure whether it's my drivers or psu. I've tried many solutions and I'm stuck at square one. If anyone has suggestions please comment below.

PSU: Unbranded 850w
GPU: MSI Gtx 1060 6gb ocv1
MOBO: h81m-e33
RAM: DDR3 16gb
CPU: i7-4790
HDD: Samsung 1T

Last edited:
Solution
My problem has finally been solved (hopefully lol). Thank you for everyone that gave me advice and such, I appreciate it a lot <3. The steps I took which fixed my PC were by disabling legacy modes for hardware and boot etc. I upped the DRAM Voltage and updated my BIOS.
So I've recently upgraded a 760 to 1060 6gb. At first it was working decently, after exchanging cpu cooler due to the old one being too old I found my pc crashing a lot. It would out of nowhere cut straight to the boot screen.

I've been trying to find all the methods, at first thinking it's my Windows 10, switching to Windows 7 and realising the same thing happens. I then thought it may be the hard drive, replaced it and it still kept on occurring. After going back to my 760 I realised it was working completely fine which made me beg the question, is it my gpu? I did more research and thought it's my drivers, after trying to update them and change them it just ended the same way, with my Windows crashing.

I do have an unbranded 850w psu which I'm thinking could be a problem however I don't have any spare psu to check. When I run Windows without drivers though, it works fine which confuses me, I'm not sure whether it's my drivers or psu. I've tried many solutions and I'm stuck at square one. If anyone has suggestions please comment below.

PSU: Unbranded 850w
GPU: MSI Gtx 1060 6gb ocv1
HDD: Samsung 1TB
Send your system specs to nvidia it sounds like they have a compatability problem in there driver update, it's not playing nice with another component without a proper driver translations. Try download one of nvidias older drivers for it like last updates or two updates ago

Mar 22, 2019
Send your system specs to nvidia it sounds like they have a compatability problem in there driver update, it's not playing nice with another component without a proper driver translations. Try download one of nvidias older drivers for it like last updates or two updates ago
Alright I'll try. When I had windows 7 installed and downloaded older drivers it would just black screen and lose connection with monitor on log in.

Mar 22, 2019
I really don't know if it's my psu or maybe a faulty gpu. My 760 works completely fine, it does use 2 6 pin pcie compared to the 1 6 pin 1060 which makes me think it could be the psu since it's not a branded one but I really don't know.

Mar 22, 2019
I installed older drivers and everything was working fine for about an hour but as soon as I was trying to install a software and the permission window came up my pc just crashed and reset.

Mar 22, 2019
I installed older drivers and everything was working fine for about an hour but as soon as I was trying to install a software and the permission window came up my pc just crashed and reset.
Went back to my old graphics card and it's all working fi
Rma the gpu it in itself has a faulty power relay/conductor
Well I'm getting it replaced and hopefully that fixes it.

Mar 22, 2019
Good luck man i'm sorry that happened i hate getting dead parts. Especially when it's not even my build its someone else's, and now i have to give them a time delay for the rma.
Well thank you a lot. Being in a situation where you have no idea what the problem is and you spend multiple days trying different things is difficult so I'm glad there was someone willing to help <3

Mar 22, 2019
So after now 2 days of it working fine it began happening again. I'm lost as it happens randomly, sometimes as I'm watching YouTube other times whilst I'm playing. I'm suspecting the psu now despite it working fine with my 760.

Mar 22, 2019
stick with 1 thread
So, I've been struggling with this problem for around a month now. I've been trying almost everything possible and I've landed right back in the same area. I'll explain everything that happened which has led me to this point and the reasons for my despair.

I've owned my PC for around 6 years now, only recently deciding to upgrade. I ordered a custom built PC for a decent price considering the components it came with back then. Here were the specs:

GPU: GTX 760 - (1060 Now)
HDD: Samsung 1TB
Case: GALAXY EVO GAMING CASE
PSU: Unbranded 850W ( View: https://imgur.com/a/mrhYXiC#ugczFPI
)

Everything was working fine up until last month, when I finally decided to upgrade my GPU. I went for a GTX MSI OCV1 6gb, thinking everything would work fine. It finally did and as I thought it was working fine, however the fps I got in games was sloppy and I realized my CPU temperature was 100C. I opened up my computer and realized the heat-sink was broken and thermal paste dried due to me not changing it. I ordered a new heat-sink which was much more sturdier and did in-fact half my cpu temperature and increase my fps A LOT. However, after around 3 days of it working completely fine, my pc began rebooting, out of nowhere. That's where it all started.

I was confused, not sure the cause, at first I suspected it to be my hard drive due to my disk jumping to 100% usage. I tried a lot of things to fix it but nothing worked, I formatted it (After backing up of course) and it still kept on occurring. I got another hard drive I had laying around and it still kept on occurring so I took that off my list. Next, I suspected it to be the ram maybe overheating from the new heat-sink which spreads the heat outwards and is very close to the ram, after removing the one ram and trying the other it still occurred. I reinstalled windows, tried windows 7, then Linux just to make sure and it still kept on occurring. I decided to undo what I did and put back in my GTX 760, to my not-surprise it worked completely fine and no crashes occurred. This led me to believe my graphics card could be faulty, I first used DDU, uninstalled all the drives installed current drivers, even tried older drivers and the problem still occurred. I decided to get a replacement as my GPU had a warranty, the replacement came and similar to before, it worked perfectly for the first 2 days and then the same problem started happening. The cause wasn't clear, there were no patterns, sometimes it restarted my PC at the log in screen, sometimes when watching a video whilst being on discord or sometimes when playing a game. Sometimes after the game ended or I ended a call, sometimes when installing an app and the "give permission" screen came up it crashed, it was VERY random to the point where I got anxiety whenever entering a game, worrying it will crash any second. I started monitoring all the temperatures and usage on my second monitor and disabled reboot after failure. Each time it crashed there were no crazy temperatures. I stress tested my GPU and CPU to see if it happens when they're under high performance and nothing happened. Safe mode boots completely fine. The fact that I could run my PC for a whole day one day and not another was just very off-putting. I tried so many different solutions including changing nvidias PHYSX to GPU instead of auto. Someone also told me there may be something wrong with my drivers, I did notice that whenever it restarted from crashing my headset (Razer Kraken 7.1 v2) didn't show up in Razer synapse (Driver software) but In not sure whether thats got anything to do with this.

In the windows event viewer, I got the critical errors of "41-Kernel-Power, 10110-DriverFreameworks-UserMode and 10111-DriverFreameworks-UserMode. I'm not sure what this refers to but these are the errors I've been getting after the restarts, no dumps were reported though. Right now I suspect it to be my PSU due to it being a Chinese-made unbranded PSU, it does work fine with my 760 though which confuses me. I'm really lost and if anyone has any advice please let me know. I'm planning on ordering a corsair PSU in around 2 days and hope that can fix things and if not I guess I'll return it and cry lol. This has been a major struggle, I'm not too well-versed in PC building, I've been learning a lot and I've only had the internet to rely on. I hope this problem can be solved, I couldn't find anyone else with this exact type of problem.

Last edited:
So, here's an interesting thing I found when opening up my pc again, I went to change cards and I paid close attention to when putting in the 1060. I realised the left side (smaller chip area) doesn't go fully in due to it getting blocked by the brackets. I feel like this could be a possible cause. Here are some linked images, the right side slides completely in and the left slide only has the tip fitting in.

View: https://imgur.com/a/xnp7umS
This is a pain in the butt trust me i know, however the best way around this i have found running into this problem. build the pc on a solid surface, after assembling everything together "basically pull just the board with it's components still in it besides the gpu. set the build close enoough to the edge to can put the gpu in without thing's in the way and sergically insert the build into the case.

This is a pain in the butt trust me i know, however the best way around this i have found running into this problem. build the pc on a solid surface, after assembling everything together "basically pull just the board with it's components still in it besides the gpu. set the build close enoough to the edge to can put the gpu in without thing's in the way and sergically insert the build into the case.
this is stupid never do this, it is stupid and a pain in the butt however when there is no other way around the case and board there is no other way to squeeze it in and you do what needs to be done to use your parts

or spend atleast $50 on a new case

Mar 22, 2019
My problem has finally been solved (hopefully lol). Thank you for everyone that gave me advice and such, I appreciate it a lot <3. The steps I took which fixed my PC were by disabling legacy modes for hardware and boot etc. I upped the DRAM Voltage and updated my BIOS.

Solution