CamaroIV

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hello all!
I usually search around here and find solutions to my own problems. This time I have a problem I cannot figure out. My personal custom PC I built had a hiccup today. I went to turn it on just like any other day and when I pressed the case power switch all of the lights lit up as usual. One second later every light went off besides the LEDs on my graphics card. It didn’t post but it was still running. I could see and hear the fans running but nothing would show up on the monitor. I turned it off thinking it would go away and restart just fine but when I hit the power button nothing happened.. at ALL. I’ve already tried taking out RAM sticks and tried all 4 by themselves in different slots to no avail. I even unplugged it and held down the power button to drain any juice left. I made sure all of my connections were good and they were. This PC was untouched since the last round of upgrades in January 2019 including case, gpu, and a couple SSDs. It has been running perfectly fine for almost 10 months! I haven’t even had a side panel off to clean dust because frankly it doesn’t need it. Then today I go to turn it on and out of the blue I’m getting issues? Very weird and leads me to think a component gave up. Just have to figure out which one.

Edit #1: I tried running only one RAM stick and even tried all 4 once at a time and the computer won’t even try to boot. The green motherboard power light is on but it’s not even trying to start. I tried using the case power button and the motherboard power button with no avail. I hit the power button and nothing happens at all.

Edit #2: I just unplugged the PSU from everything in my system and did the paper clip hack. I jumped the green and black wire on the 24 pin and plugged the PSU into the wall and back of unit and switched it from “O” to “I”. I heard the PSU fan turn on. Though it did sound like it took a couple seconds for the fan to get spinning fast it did spin the fan. I’m not sure if it’s a PSU problem if the PSU fan still spins when jumping it. Any help from here is greatly appreciated! CMOS Battery replacement?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Systems specs are listed below!

CPU: i7 4790k
RAM: Crucial ballistix 4x4gb 1600mhz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105
PSU: Corsair CX750
Case: Thermaltake View 71
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 2
STORAGE: WD Black 500gb, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Sandisk 128gb SSD

Last edited:

CamaroIV

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hi, I would firstly try leaving only CPU, CPU cooler and one RAM module. If still no go, try testing different power supply,
Thanks for the reply! I took out the GPU and used the hdmi on the motherboard to the monitor, I switched around all 4 RAM modules at once and still nothing. I will try and get a loaner PSU to test with and if that’s the issue I’d be happy because I’d like to finally upgrade the CX750.

CamaroIV

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hi, I would firstly try leaving only CPU, CPU cooler and one RAM module. If still no go, try testing different power supply,
I ended up testing my PSU with the paper clip hack. I plugged the PSU into power and the fan did start to spin. It took a second or two for it to get up to speed but when given power and jumping the green and black cable on the 24 pin the fan started to spin.