billyomfg

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017
Hello everyone.A few months ago i upgraded my connection to 50 mpbs from 24.Since then my isp provided me with their own router-modem which was performing just fine.One or two months later i had disconnects all over the place multiple times per day which lead to a replacement of the router with another one which supposedly was better and newer.That happened a month ago.So my speeds are doing fine but my ping is spiking many times per day and especially at night.That led me to search google for possible solutions .So after a few trys disabling WLAN fixed the spikes and my ping was decent.But that creates another problem,since im not living alone i cant just disable the wifi when i game.I have a ZTE ZXHN H267N which is only provided by my ISP and cannot be found on any store and its interface is not newbie-friendly or gaming-optimized.So what id like help with is not simple and i'm sorry for my complex explanation of the issue.So keeping it as simple as i can id like to know:
a) If i can somehow configure my router so that it divides the bandwith to my pc and to the other devices equally (btw im wired on my pc) . I heard about QoS but i cant seem to configure it on my own router page
b) If i should buy another router or modem to fix this without any hussle
c) and if i buy one which one should i buy cause im on a budget ( im only a uni student) 150 euros at max is what i can spend( I dont need the router to be labeled as a gaming router just a router that does the job)

(btw im from Greece so if im not asking for much i wouldnt want any non-European store recommendations)

Thanks everyone in advance . I'll respond to anyone ASAP

Solution
QoS on most routers is pretty limited and in general it is a bandaid not a solution. You should not have issues unless you are using 100% of your bandwidth. It is possible but unlikely with a 50mbps internet connection. Someone would have to be downloading large amounts of files or watching a bunch of 4k netflix.

If you think it is just the wifi I would get another router and use it as a AP connected to the main router. You would disable the Wifi on the ISP router and since the AP is connected via ethernet it should not know that the users are using wifi.

If you think it is actually someone on the wifi causing the issue that is much more complex. You could get a router that has better QoS but in general it means that you...
QoS on most routers is pretty limited and in general it is a bandaid not a solution. You should not have issues unless you are using 100% of your bandwidth. It is possible but unlikely with a 50mbps internet connection. Someone would have to be downloading large amounts of files or watching a bunch of 4k netflix.

If you think it is just the wifi I would get another router and use it as a AP connected to the main router. You would disable the Wifi on the ISP router and since the AP is connected via ethernet it should not know that the users are using wifi.

If you think it is actually someone on the wifi causing the issue that is much more complex. You could get a router that has better QoS but in general it means that you are going to limit someone traffic. So first would be to see what they are doing and can they reduce it with other settings. I don't know what you do if say someone is watching 4k netflicks and does not want to run at a lower rate. QoS could force the issue but in effect it would prevent the other person from doing what they want. It all depends on who actually has more say of how the internet is used in your house. Generally the person that pays the bills wins.

Solution

billyomfg

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017

If you think it is actually someone on the wifi causing the issue that is much more complex. You could get a router that has better QoS but in general it means that you are going to limit someone traffic. So first would be to see what they are doing and can they reduce it with other settings. I don't know what you do if say someone is watching 4k netflicks and does not want to run at a lower rate. QoS could force the issue but in effect it would prevent the other person from doing what they want. It all depends on who actually has more say of how the internet is used in your house. Generally the person that pays the bills wins.
So there is a way to use two routers and one would be for wifi and the other for my gaming .Do i just get one and connect it to the socket and that's it or is there more to it?

Mine is a router and a modem so should i get a router or another modem-router combo?

Last edited:
You technically want a AP. Many routers have a setting that makes them into a AP. You can use any router as a AP...just search how to use a router as AP if it does not have the feature.

A AP in effect is a remote set of radios connected via ethernet. It does need any of the router functions or any modem type function. A actual AP though tends to cost more money mostly because there is not a lot of demand from home users. You do not need any fancy router since almost all the router features are disabled when you use it as a AP.

Most times you are doing this to get better wifi coverage in a different room that is connected via ethernet cable. In your case since you are going to turn off the wifi radios in your ISP router you could put it next to the ISP router.

billyomfg

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017
You technically want a AP. Many routers have a setting that makes them into a AP. You can use any router as a AP...just search how to use a router as AP if it does not have the feature.

A AP in effect is a remote set of radios connected via ethernet. It does need any of the router functions or any modem type function. A actual AP though tends to cost more money mostly because there is not a lot of demand from home users. You do not need any fancy router since almost all the router features are disabled when you use it as a AP.

Most times you are doing this to get better wifi coverage in a different room that is connected via ethernet cable. In your case since you are going to turn off the wifi radios in your ISP router you could put it next to the ISP router.
cant i just get another router-modem thats better than my isp's ?
tplink archer vr400 v2 seems to be the best suggestion so far for my speed cababilities

I guess it is worth a try just be very sure it is compatible with your ISP system. These are DSL routers and to get 50mbps they many times are running vdsl which that router supports BUT some ISP use non standard options.

TPLINK in general provides good support for their product so that makes it a good choice.

billyomfg

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017
I guess it is worth a try just be very sure it is compatible with your ISP system. These are DSL routers and to get 50mbps they many times are running vdsl which that router supports BUT some ISP use non standard options.

TPLINK in general provides good support for their product so that makes it a good choice.
Reviews in my area say that it is doing very good with my ISP so i guess ill buy it.
Thanks for your help really appreciate it :D

billyomfg

Commendable
Jul 13, 2017
So i got the router and it works fine but instead i get higher ping spikes and disconnects. I pinged my router ip and tracert google and my router is fine but isp's pings are off the charts they reach as high as 2000 ms.Im sure that its not the router (its the 3rd one i use and the problem is the same). So im going to contact my ISP but idk how to adress the issue cause they will say that i have to move the phone device away turn off some devices change cables and such but ive done these multiple times with no good result.Im thinking that its something wrong on their side , id like to hear some opinions.

TRENDING THREADS