OMGSam

Commendable
Mar 1, 2020
Hello,

Recently my PC started having weird issue where it would turn off unexpectedly, with variation of time duration in turning off. For example, sometimes, it would turn on my PC and I would hear the fans spin for a second, and then it would turn off, then start again, and then off again, and would keep doing it. Sometimes it would turn on and I would hear the fans spin at full speed (usually happens when my PC starts and then the speed goes down as it starts to boot) but nothing would come to display and it would keep spinning the fans at full speed. Sometimes it would boot normally and would shutdown and restart when windows is booting. I have a suspicion that it might be my PSU, but could it be a motherboard issue? I am a novice in troubleshooting PCs so I would really like some help.

Edit: during "keeps running with fans at high speed" symptom, I notice that my motherboard's fading light doesn't "fade" in and out like usual, but stays on all the time. Now I am also suspecting my motherboard.

Please tell me how can I test which one of these might be having an issue? Thanks.

PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 530w
Motherboard: H110MK Asus
Processor: i5-6600k
Graphics Card: GTX 960 SCC

Last edited:
Solution
So is it possible the "fading light of motherboard" symptom might also be due to the failure of the power supply?

Also, would the following power supply be good enough for my spec of PC?

I also have two HHD a Chassis fan and a case fan.

https://www.daraz.pk/products/corsa...hlistcategory.list.15.383c212622ggLQ&search=1
Definitely a PSU that is not supplying consistent power will do all kinds of weird things like that. I saw a video on youtube of a person using a low end-psu with liquid cooling system that had led lights and it was making very strange light effects.
I recently had the same kind of experience with multiple computers using the...
Mar 1, 2020
So is it possible the "fading light of motherboard" symptom might also be due to the failure of the power supply?

Also, would the following power supply be good enough for my spec of PC?

I also have two HHD a Chassis fan and a case fan.

https://www.daraz.pk/products/corsa...hlistcategory.list.15.383c212622ggLQ&search=1
Definitely a PSU that is not supplying consistent power will do all kinds of weird things like that. I saw a video on youtube of a person using a low end-psu with liquid cooling system that had led lights and it was making very strange light effects.
I recently had the same kind of experience with multiple computers using the same junk PSUs. Mine were having random shutdowns when I touched the case, system freezing, and strange hard drive sounds. All went away when I replaced the PSU. When a psu is shot it will send uneven electricity to your parts. You should replace it soon since it can easily kill motherboards and hard drives when that happens.

Corsair is generally considered pretty good but you might want more watts if your gaming since it will put a load on the system.

Last edited:
Solution

OMGSam

Commendable
Mar 1, 2020
I recently had the same kind of experience with multiple computers using the same junk PSUs. Mine were having random shutdowns when I touched the case, system freezing, and strange hard drive sounds. All went away when I replaced the PSU. When a psu is shot it will send uneven electricity to your parts. You should replace it soon since it can easily kill motherboards and hard drives when that happens.

Corsair is generally considered pretty good but you might want more watts if your gaming since it will put a load on the system.

Alright thanks alot.

2ndly, so what kinda PSU with how many watts do you recommend since 450 Watts, like you said, won't be enough? Note, my old "junky :D" PSU was 530W. Didnt really have any problems with it. Thanks.

P.S.: Yes, of course, its absolutely for gaming.