Question Random black screens during gameplay and casual use. Unable to resolve.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
Windows 11 home
i-5 12600k
Asus TUF z690
Corsair ven pro 3600 16gb
5700xt
Corsair 650w gold

Hello,
I have been running into an issue for the last few weeks and need some help finding a resolution.

During gameplay and casual use such as web surfing, my PC will black screen and become unresponsive. After which I have to hard reset to regain functionality. I have attempted to reproduce this issue, but have yet to find a way to reliably create it as the black screens feel almost random. Occasionally in-game, I will see some artifacting in the light and then proceeded by a black screen. At other times in-game, there will be no GUI issues and a black screen will occur again. When this black screen occurs outside of games, I will be reading a PowerPoint or editing a PDF.

Steps I have attempted to try to resolve this issue:
  1. Reinstalled AMD video driver both as a factory reset and without removing the previous driver.
  2. I have rolled back my driver to previous versions I remember being stable.
  3. I have recorded the behavior of my driver in Event Viewer to which the driver reports as "Device not started (amdwddmg)" The error info will be listed.
  4. I have disabled windows from auto-updating and auto-replacing my video driver.
  5. I have monitored my PC temps via HWmonitor during normal use and gameplay. There is nothing remarkable about the temps. Peak 63 C CPU & peak 78C GPU during a demanding game title.
  6. I disabled XMP, and there was no change in behavior.
  7. I have ran the sfc /scannow command in terminal. There were not files to repair or retrieve.
  8. I recorded reports in the reliability monitor. The error info will be listed.
  9. I reset windows 11 to factory, I did keep my file data.

Device management error:
Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_E4091DA2&REV_C1\6&28d6af2f&0&00000008 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem29.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdwddmg
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Reliability monitor errors:
7 Critical events:
2 - "Windows did not shut down properly"
2 - "Desktop window manager stopped working"
3 - "Hardware error"

All three hardware errors are marked as "Live Kernal Event" with different problem signatures. Those are posted below in chronological order.

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎1/‎21/‎2023 7:51 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffffa7037129f060
Parameter 2: fffff80181ab6760
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 158c
OS version: 10_0_22000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.22000.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎1/‎21/‎2023 7:52 AM

Status
Not reported

Description

Problem signature
Code: 1b0
Parameter 1: 1
Parameter 2: ffffffffc0000001
Parameter 4: 0

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎1/‎21/‎2023 9:17 AM

Status
Not reported

Description

Problem signature
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffff97035887f010
Parameter 2: fffff8037e0e3530
Parameter 4: 904

I can see that there is an issue with something but I do not know where to go from here. My next step is to buy another GPU in an effort to get rid of this issue.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
hi, I have a similar issue, and have not been able to figure it out :( . I am suspecting the power supply is the issue, but not too sure.
I had a similar suspicion as well. Unfortunately, I am not savvy enough with PSUs to correctly diagnose that component. It feels as if I would need to replace the PSU to remove it as a variable, which is not exactly cheap.
Recently I reseated my RAM and slightly adjusted my XMP profile and have yet to have a crash. I ran window's memory test and had only successful passes on the standard test. I have still yet to resolve the video driver issue inside of the event viewer and every google answer I get makes the failed driver correlate to a piece of software that I have never used.
I'd say if you have yet to run memory test or reseat your RAM/GPU, try that out.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
hi, I have a similar issue, and have not been able to figure it out :( . I am suspecting the power supply is the issue, but not too sure.
I just checked and I have outdated drivers for my z690 chipset and a few bios revisions behind the current. If you have an ASUS board, you can check the armory application to view any outdated drivers.
If you have a different mobo manufacturer, you can view their product page for your model and view your drivers there.
In addition, if you are running Intel they have updating tools for their chipsets that may or may not be tied to the manufacture of your mobo as mine are.

Jan 24, 2023
I just checked and I have outdated drivers for my z690 chipset and a few bios revisions behind the current. If you have an ASUS board, you can check the armory application to view any outdated drivers.
If you have a different mobo manufacturer, you can view their product page for your model and view your drivers there.
In addition, if you are running Intel they have updating tools for their chipsets that may or may not be tied to the manufacture of your mobo as mine are.

Ah, good catch. I will look into the drivers myself also. Please reply again if any solution works for you, and I will do the same :) .

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
Turning on XMP did not help by the way, it happened again today.
Late reply for I've been preoccupied with school.
I have still run into this issue after updating my chipset and BIOS. Earlier today, my main display went black (but it was active) while my secondary screen was fully functional. I put my PC to sleep and turned it back on and everything worked correctly from there.
Since my updates, I have yet to play the game that I was running into this issue the most, FF15. I have not experienced the hard lockout, followed by a forced reset since I stopped playing that game. Other games, however, have caused a black screen and forced tab-outs. CSGo will auto-tab out while Elden Ring will black screen for a second, then continue as normal.
I have discovered that my RAM sticks are not listed as compatible with my motherboard, even after my bios update. Hopefully, there will be a patch in the future, for I feel as if there are other compatibility issues this will resolve. In the meantime, I have to battle the desire to purchase a new GPU to fix this. I would go NVIDIA to see if it is an AMD thing, and to avoid windows auto-installing my driver. Hopefully, there is a compelling card on the used market for the 4000 series because I really would rather buy the newest flagship from AMD. After all, it's $600 cheaper.
One thing I saw a while ago that I didn't want to believe to be true was reports of 5700XTs having driver issues; uninstalling them and failing to respond properly. There is also a possibility that this issue is hardware side, which if that is the case then I'm SOL.

Also, what are your PC's specs? Maybe we have a similarity in components.