raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi guys. I have some of an old PC that I can't seem to fix. I got random freezes in the system or while gaming sometimes. At the time I've got 12gb RAM (4gb Crucial and 8gb kingston). Thought the motherboard (Asrock 960gm-vgs3 fx) wasn't compatible with the ram so I bought 2x 4GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600mhz CL9 , both dual channel same model. That seemed to fix the problem for some time. While looking at CPU temps in idle , I always got like 50 60c + , everything on auto in BIOS. For some odd reason the stock auto settings overvolted the cpu and heated it. So I tweaked the settings on manual stock 3.5ghz and got a stable at 1.2v while temps dropped like 30c. both idle and load. I also disabled turbo core and cool and quite & some c state settings. This fixed the heating problem. But after some time i still got crashes. sometimes 3 at day or none. Mostly while gaming after 5 or so minutes. But also in the system while doing random stuff like opening a monitor program. Temps are good. I was gaming with afterburner for monitoring and got a crash at 56c CPU and 77c on GPU. So I don't think it's heat related. In bluescreenviewe ntoskrnl.exe is most shown and then amdkmdag.sys & dxgkrnl.sys. I'm running out of ideas. Ran memtest for almost 2 passes (2h) with 0 errors.
Any help appreciated. Thanks!

PC specs:
Mobo: Asrock 960gm-vgs3 fx
CPU: AMD FX 6300 3.5ghz (stock not OC)
GPU: ASUS R7 260x OC 2GB GDDR5 128-bit
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 1600mhz CL9 run at (9-9-9-24-41)
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm

Solution
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 101822-34750-01.dmp (Oct 19 2022 - 07:25:59)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: XERA-Win64-Shi)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

process mentioned was victim

looks like GPU drivers again, from the cryptic clues I had.

Are the 2021 drivers the newest you can use?
Mar 11 2021amdkmdag.sysAMD Graphics driver

i have seen these cause errors before
Sep 25 2015dtlitescsibus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)
Dec 29 2015

Colif

Win 11 Master
amdkmdag.sys & dxgkrnl.sys.
1st file is AMD GPU drivers, 2nd is DirectX. If you had only shown Direct X I would have guessed it was GPU drivers anyway
try running DDU, uninstall GPU drivers in safe mode, log back into normal mode again, and reisntall GPU drivers

in case you get more BSOD
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
1st file is AMD GPU drivers, 2nd is DirectX. If you had only shown Direct X I would have guessed it was GPU drivers anyway
try running DDU, uninstall GPU drivers in safe mode, log back into normal mode again, and reisntall GPU drivers

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Thanks. I always had up to date drivers for the GPU , tryied even DDU few versions back. Then rolled back 2 versios lately last year because some program bugs. Yesterday I had the legacy drivers for my card installed (22.6.1) that come out this year but without DDU. They seem to be more stable with the exception of the random BSOD's. I'll try and reinstall them with DDU and if it still crashes , I'll do the minidump thing and post it here.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Hi. I'm back. The PC crashed again , everything froze except mouse and after a time also the mouse. Not while playing but soon after exiting the game (like 3mins or so). Dump files were already logged in my windows. So I have one from my last BSOD that i didnt force restart a couple of days ago.
Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ohtve4c5ue600y/101822-34750-01.zip?dl=0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

Dec 29 2015dtliteusbbus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual USB Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

this is getting old
Aug 18 2016zam64.sys
Aug 18 2016zamguard64.sysZAM Guard driver (Zemana)

Solution

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Conversion of dumps

Dec 29 2015dtliteusbbus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual USB Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

this is getting old
Aug 18 2016zam64.sys
Aug 18 2016zamguard64.sysZAM Guard driver (Zemana)
The GPU drivers I'm running now are the latest , they got out like June 2022 and they are the final driver for this card from what i've read.
I have DaemonTools installed and also zemana from way back. I am going to find and delete those things. But can that cause GPU crashes?

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Update:
Unninstalled daemon tools and zemana , the last one got some leftover drivers in sys32 and managed to delete them with autoruns.
I also ran sfc /scannow , the program found something and fixed it. While searching the internet for more tips I found that in Event viewer the most error events are Security-SPP (0x80070002) and ESENT (svchost) Database Corruption. Hope this helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have seen almost everything cause BSOD so I try not to rule anything out. It could be a conflict between drivers causing errors.

Event viewer not ideal place to look really, often things don't work once, it records that fact, but every other time they do work.

Esent: see if these help - https://www.minitool.com/news/esent.html (don't buy anything)

0x80070002
thats a windows update error
This problem occurs when some files in the update are missing or Windows Update database on the computer is inconsistent with the database instructions in the update.

How to Fix the Error
To fix the error manually, it will be necessary to remove all of the files partially downloaded, and try again to update your Windows files.
  1. On the Windows desktop, press Start, and when the menu opens up,
  2. Press Run, and input the following command “services.msc”
  3. In the Run box, type "services.msc", and press "Enter".
  4. This will open the "Local Services" window.
  5. In the Local Services window find the name “Automatic Updates” and right click.
  6. On right click, scroll down and press “Stop”. This will cause the Automatic Updates to pause to correct the situation. Do not close the Local Services window. - At this point you can go to the "Software Distribution" folder and delete its contents, or give the folder another name. It is advised that you just rename the folder,
  7. To do this go to the Windows desktop and press “Start” then press “Run” when the menu opens.
  8. Input the “cmd” command into Run, and the computer will take you to the DOS prompt.
  9. At the DOS prompt type in this command “cd %windir%” (without the quotes), and press Enter.
  10. You should now be in the Windows directory.
  11. At the Windows directory, input “ren SoftwareDistribution SoftDisTemp” and hit "Enter". This will rename the Software Distribution folder to the new name of SoftDisTemp.
  12. Type "Exit" and hit "Enter" to close the DOS window.
  13. Now go to the "Local Services" window and right click "Automatic Updates" to restart it.
  14. Try updating Windows files again.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...80070002/b2790e69-fac1-4487-934f-10c91c2b9beb
that may or may not help with BSOD.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Update #2 for anyone having same problems.
While in GPU-Z I saw that my video card was running at PCIE 2.0 x8 mode while the PCIe slot that was in was a PCIE 2.0 x16. Looking in the case saw that the GPU wasn't rally all the way in the slot (on the port sides was lifted a bit) , fixed that and now runs at PCIE 2.0 x16 (like it should) , some texture load faster in games now. Maybe that was also causing my driver crashes and BSOD.
Hope it helps someone.

Reactions: Colif