May 1, 2019
Heyo.

I am sitting here by my pc and are currently going mad at my monitor. This is mostly due to the fact that the one I am dealing with at the moment is horrible. The screen is way to big for starters and the resolution on it is really wierd. (1768 x 992).

Anyway, now I am looking at buying a new one. or rather two new ones. But here is the thing. I can only buy one at a time. It's hard to explain why but that is just how it is.

The two screens have vastly different specifikations. the first one has a refresh rate of 144hz and a resolution of 1920x1080. The other one has a refresh rate of 60hz but a resolution of 3840x2160. Both have a respons time of 1ms.

which one of these two should I get first? or should I only get one? or should I get some other monitor/monitors?
please tell me.

Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Two totally different ends of the spectrum there.

What GPU are you using to drive a display? What do you do with the system?

Perhaps a 1440p/144Hz panel would be a nice middle-ground.... Assuming it makes sense for your use-case, of course.

May 1, 2019
Two totally different ends of the spectrum there.

What GPU are you using to drive a display? What do you do with the system?

Perhaps a 1440p/144Hz panel would be a nice middle-ground.... Assuming it makes sense for your use-case, of course.

my pc runs on an Intel i5 8600k and gtx 1080ti 11gb
I mostly use the system for gaming

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Do you need a secondary display? If not, something like a 32" 1440p/144Hz monitor is probably more than adequate as the only display.
well, I don't need a new display either but it would be nice to have one. it's the same here, I don't need a second display but it would make things a lot easier

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What kid of desk space are you working with? I would normally say get X and try it out first.... but if I'm suggesting a 32" panel, that might not be viable if you want to keep room to potentially add a secondary display.

A couple of 27" monitors would probably be decent options for most people, assuming you have a reasonable amount of desk space.

What kind of budget are you working with?

Perhaps something like this?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MXQG3C/dell-s2719dgf-270-2560x1440-155-hz-monitor-s2719dgf

May 1, 2019
What kid of desk space are you working with? I would normally say get X and try it out first.... but if I'm suggesting a 32" panel, that might not be viable if you want to keep room to potentially add a secondary display.

A couple of 27" monitors would probably be decent options for most people, assuming you have a reasonable amount of desk space.

What kind of budget are you working with?

Perhaps something like this?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MXQG3C/dell-s2719dgf-270-2560x1440-155-hz-monitor-s2719dgf
the two I am looking at comes in at 227 pounds and 200 pounds, in that order. the cheaper one is 28" and the other 27"
desk space is not that big of a problem.
The 4k is on sale, that's why it's so cheap. It is usually around 393

Two monitors with different refresh rates and resolutions is not very good, games tend to have flashing/stutter issues when you run monitors at different refresh rates.

For gaming with a 1080 card, a 1440 screen would be great, you can run at higher refresh rates and be able to get pretty good quality settings out of games.
For a normal computer desk setup, I think 27" is pretty much as large as you would want to go, larger and you are going to have things out of your field of view and focus. 27" is large enough where you are not looking too much at the bezels, but small enough that you can focus on pretty much the whole screen without moving your eyes or head from center.

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
How do you even game on two monitors? You need three.. IMO may as well get a small 4k TV if you're getting a large 4k 60hz monitor. Not that that is a bad way to go..

If you play twitchy FPS stuff, go for refresh, if not, don't.

How do you even game on two monitors? You need three.. IMO may as well get a small 4k TV if you're getting a large 4k 60hz monitor. Not that that is a bad way to go..

If you play twitchy FPS stuff, go for refresh, if not, don't.

Game only runs on one monitor usually with second for other things. People can't do one thing at a time anymore so these second monitors on gaming systems are for videos, etc.. Some do have a real need for it though, the streamers, so they can monitor streaming and recording software and such.

May 1, 2019
the thing is, I don't plan on using the two monitors simultaneously. I am going to use one of them as the main depending on what I am doing. If what I am doing is more dependent on refresh rates then I will use that one and if it is more depending on resolution then I will use that.

TRENDING THREADS