Kcsingh

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Hey everyone!

Okay so i have a small problem, or dilemma

my current rig, has been upgraded in form of GPU over the years, but cpu, ram and the mobo have sadly not.

I'm considering upgrading my CPU, ram and mobo, but not sure if i should wait for the next gen, or pull the trigger and upgrade.

my current specs are

CPU: i7-6700K
Mobo: Maximus Viii RANGER
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: 2 x Gtx 1080 Ti (Sli)
PSU: 1000W modular V1000 Plat
Storage: 2TB SSD + 1tb HDD

I run a 3 monitor setup - 2 of them running 1080p @ 240 hz and last one being 3440 x 1440 @ 200 Hz

I play a little, csgo, overwatch, wow and LoL sometimes CoD, BF.

I'm in no rush to upgrade my pc yet, but it's more so if its worth just doing it now, or i'd be better off waiting till summer where i perhaps upgrade the entire rig with the GPU too.

Solution
I think I would wait a bit.
Rumor has it that the 10th gen intel processors will launch in April along with1200 chipsets.
What you will get is mostly the same architecture, but more threads and higher clocks.

On higher clocks, why not try an Overclock on your current system?
In the bios, just raise the all core multiplier from the default of 40 to a higher number.
Leave voltages on auto.
Monitor with cpu-z to verify that vcore does not get too high.
Educated adjustments will let you do better.

As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-6700K
4.9 5%
4.8 21%
4.7 64%
4.6 96%

Current intel K suffix processors can usually run at 5.0, and it seems like the 10th gen will do a bit better.

It seems...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure there is going to be much to gain from AMD in the near future, at least until AM5 comes out. So a Zen 2 (3000 series) chips would do you fine as an upgrade. But given your penchant for high refresh, Intel might still be the better option. 7700k won't gain you much, so it would mean a motherboard swap to get something like the 9700k or 9900k. You could keep the memory if is like DDR4 3000Mhz or something.

Intel 10th gen isn't going to be amazingly different from your Skylake chip, just more clock speed, and 6, 8 or 10 cores. Battlefield is really the only game there that would benefit a whole lot from more cores. A little overclocking and you will basically be there.

If you aren't overclocked now, would be a good time to start going for it. Little risk if you are prepared to replace it anyway.

On the GPU front. Whatever the next biggest single GPU might be something you should look at. RTX3080Ti or what have you. SLI is becoming less and less prominent in games.

Reactions: Kcsingh

Kcsingh

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Not sure there is going to be much to gain from AMD in the near future, at least until AM5 comes out. So a Zen 2 (3000 series) chips would do you fine as an upgrade. But given your penchant for high refresh, Intel might still be the better option. 7700k won't gain you much, so it would mean a motherboard swap to get something like the 9700k or 9900k. You could keep the memory if is like DDR4 3000Mhz or something.

Intel 10th gen isn't going to be amazingly different from your Skylake chip, just more clock speed, and 6, 8 or 10 cores. Battlefield is really the only game there that would benefit a whole lot from more cores. A little overclocking and you will basically be there.

If you aren't overclocked now, would be a good time to start going for it. Little risk if you are prepared to replace it anyway.

On the GPU front. Whatever the next biggest single GPU might be something you should look at. RTX3080Ti or what have you. SLI is becoming less and less prominent in games.
i might consider the overclocking, but unsure if i should or shouldn't and how much tbh

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Usually a few clicks away from adding 300Mhz or so to an Intel K chip. 500Mhz with good cooling.

Basically, you are at 4.2Ghz now, if you've left it at stock, probably has voltage to spare, just try increasing the boost multiplier up a few notches. If it becomes unstable, add a little core voltage and see how it goes. Lots of people ran 6700k at 4.8Ghz, but that was on the top end of things. 4.5Ghz on the other hand, was extremely common.

WildCard999

Titan
I second overclocking the CPU and possibly waiting a bit longer since the 6700K is still quite good post overclock.

What CPU cooler do you have?

For Intel overclocking I usually start at the boost speed and stock voltage, test then increase 100mhz at a time. If it crashes then up the voltage 0.05V until stable (Max 1.4V). Max benchmark temps shouldn't go over 85C and during normal loads like gaming shouldn't exceed 80C. For benchmarking Prime95 Small FFT's works well, 30min-1 hour for air cooling or like 2 hours for liquid cooling.

I think I would wait a bit.
Rumor has it that the 10th gen intel processors will launch in April along with1200 chipsets.
What you will get is mostly the same architecture, but more threads and higher clocks.

On higher clocks, why not try an Overclock on your current system?
In the bios, just raise the all core multiplier from the default of 40 to a higher number.
Leave voltages on auto.
Monitor with cpu-z to verify that vcore does not get too high.
Educated adjustments will let you do better.

As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-6700K
4.9 5%
4.8 21%
4.7 64%
4.6 96%

Current intel K suffix processors can usually run at 5.0, and it seems like the 10th gen will do a bit better.

It seems that sli will win you synthetic fps benchmarks, but gameplay is better with a strong single card.
You may get less screen tearing and stuttering.
What is your experience with one vs. two gpu?
I might put a great single card in my upgrade plans.

Solution

Kcsingh

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I've never tried overclocking before, but been looking at guides and videos for my specific setup

I have a nzxt phantom 840 cabinet, so its rather cool and i run with a cooler master cpu cooler, hyper something with the giant metal box on it and 1 attached fan. Can't remember the name exactly.

But i do have ai suite installed where it seems i can tweak a little with the stats.

I'm going to wait, since that's whats making the most sense atm

here is a pic of the ai suite

https://gyazo.com/3f7daabb382baf997741fc2f91c1d016

@geofelt in regards of two vs one, honestly i'm not really experiencing the benefit of two vs one.
There was a good offer, the store was bankrupt and had insane deals so practically got two cards for the price of one so yeah.