GunPlayer

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Stock
GPU: MSI 2070S Gaming X Trio
MOBO : B450 Gaming Plus Max
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz (2x8)
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD: Pioneer APS-SE20G-1T

My PC reboots suddenly but only during gaming. Even then its random, my little brother played Doom and Red Dead Redemption from start to finish without any reboots but I get them when playing Warframe, FC Primal, Dauntless and FortNite. I am Using Slot 2 and 4 for the RAM sticks. I've stress tested CPU till 80C and ran Time Spy and Firestrike as well but no reboots. at the moment i have removed the RAM placed in slot 2 so only slot 4 is occupied and no reboots but as soon as i start using both sticks it starts up again. Temps are not a problem and I also did memtest till 100% on both sticks together, still no reboots or errors. My main suspects are either the mobo or the PSU. As for testing with other parts i have a GTX 970 STRIX and an Antec 550W psu in my 2nd PC. I was thinking of just replacing all parts one by one till the problem stops but before doing that i want to see if help from here can get it fixed. If you need any other info ask and i will do my best to provide it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just got instant reboot with the 4th slot occupied only, i can do another memtest with both sticks installed but how much should i stop after? 200%? my windows isnt activated as well, maybe that is causing it?

Last edited:
Solution
It doesn't actually need a 650W PSU minimum, since the card will use ~260W under very heavy load. A decent 550W PSU should be generously more than enough.

The recommendations on manufacturer websites generally overstate the PSU minimum to allow for people using very low quality PSUs.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
i can do another memtest with both sticks installed but how much should i stop after? 200%
Overnight

at the moment i have removed the RAM placed in slot 2 so only slot 4 is occupied and no reboots but as soon as i start using both sticks it starts up again.

I'd suggest an extended test with just the 1 RAM stick in, possibly over a few days, to be sure it's really not happening.

If there are no incidents, replace that stick with the other one (into the same slot) and then test with only that stick for a few days.

Are the 2 RAM sticks from a matched kit (i.e. in a single packet sold as 2x8gb RAM) or were they bought individually?

Does it make any difference if you put them in slot 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4?

my windows isnt activated as well, maybe that is causing it?
If using Windows, you'll want to be using a genuine and activated copy of Windows. But given what you say above I'm not sure any activation problems you've had are necessarily the cause.

GunPlayer

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I'd suggest an extended test with just the 1 RAM stick in, possibly over a few days, to be sure it's really not happening.
The thing is, when i was playing Warframe only about 1.5 Gigs of RAM was in use for around an hour before reboot occurred. and with Memtest i tested all available ram till 100% and no reboots. It does not seem like a RAM issue but ill see if i can get the time for an extended test (An overnight one at the least).

If there are no incidents, replace that stick with the other one (into the same slot) and then test with only that stick for a few days.
I'll try that.

Are the 2 RAM sticks from a matched kit (i.e. in a single packet sold as 2x8gb RAM) or were they bought individually?
Matched Kit

Does it make any difference if you put them in slot 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4?
i got a warning about slot 1 and 3 not being optimized so i didn't go ahead with it. I also have 2 sticks in my old PC that i can test as well(PCPartPicker marked the Other PC's RAM as compatible - DDR4), if the reboot occurs with the older RAM as well then i can rule it out as the cause of the problem.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
If the reboots happen with only a specific slot or combination of slots populated then it could be an issue with the RAM slots (motherboard) rather than the sticks, which is what I was suggesting you could try to rule out :)

Have you tried RAM in slots 1 and 3?

GunPlayer

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I am currently trying my 550W PSU form my old PC to see if it reboots, if it does not, then i have found the problem, if it does then only the GPU,CPU and Mobo left to check.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
It doesn't actually need a 650W PSU minimum, since the card will use ~260W under very heavy load. A decent 550W PSU should be generously more than enough.

The recommendations on manufacturer websites generally overstate the PSU minimum to allow for people using very low quality PSUs.

Solution
Feb 20, 2020

I agree, but more "Watts" are not bad anyway :p