Question The motherboard does not have enough Type E USB connectors for all the ports on the case"

Dec 13, 2022
Building my first PC and I'm a little confused regarding the USB connectors. Got this message on a compatibility checker:
The motherboard does not have enough Type E USB connectors for all the ports on the case". Also, on PCPartPicker I got these two notes about my build, but I don't understand what they mean:

A USB 2.0 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.
A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX-A GAMING
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

Found this information about the motherboard on Asus' site:

Front USB Port ( Total 6 )
Rear USB Port ( Total 8 )
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)(4 x Type-A)
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 port(s)(1 x Type-A +1 x USB Type-C®)
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)
2 x USB 2.0 port(s)
4 x USB 2.0 port(s)

And the 4000D Airflow apparently has just one USB 3.0 Type-A port and one USB 3.1 Type-C port.

Do I need to buy any type of adapter for this configuration for it to work? I don't care about the speeds of the USB ports, cause I'm only going to use them for headphones and game controllers anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022
Ok, so the motherboard has only headers for USB 2 and 3-A - meaning you have no USB-E port to connect the case USB-C port. So without any adapters your case will only have USB-A 3.0 port functional, the other USB port will do nothing.
Ok, thanks for the answer. What type of adapter would I need?

Ok, thanks for the answer. What type of adapter would I need?
Well, that's problematic part. You would actually need two adapters. One to convert USB 3 header to USB-E header to make USB-C port work, But then you would have no USB 3 header free, so you would need USB 2 to 3 adapter. All in all, it way cheaper and sensible to actually change motherboard to different one that already has both USB3 and USB-E headers.

Dec 13, 2022
Well, that's problematic part. You would actually need two adapters. One to convert USB 3 header to USB-E header to make USB-C port work, But then you would have no USB 3 header free, so you would need USB 2 to 3 adapter. All in all, it way cheaper and sensible to actually change motherboard to different one that already has both USB3 and USB-E headers.
Oh, ok. Thanks a lot!

TRENDING THREADS