Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi!
I want to upgrade my PC or buy a new one.
I have a i5-2400, 8GB DDR3 and a RX 460 right now. It is on LGA1155
  1. If I upgrade this PC at it is right now, I'd buy an i7-3770(SH) and RX 570(SH) and a new PSU [maybe SSD and more memory too (not important)]. ~ 200 Euro
  2. I buy a new PC I'd go for the Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock A320M-DVS R4.0 Motherboard, RX 570(SH), 8GB DDR4 and a Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ PSU. ~ 340 Euro
I look to play newer games on 1080p, even if it's not on high settings but at least medium or even low in some cases. I'd like also to record and stream on Youtube.
So what do you think? Should I buy a new one or should I upgrade the current one? Maybe you can suggest some modifications too.
Thank you.

Rx570 or 580 would be a solid upgrade.

If you upgraded to an i7 it would offer better performanxe than a 2200g, but it would be a dead end upgrade wise.
The 2200g would be a slight upgrade from a 2400, but more of a sidestep. A ryzen 5 would be a big upgrade. An a320 voard limits your upgrade to a 2700x, where a alightly better b450 board allows for overclocking and 3rd gen 16 core support.

I would suggest buying a ryzen 5 1600 or waiting for 3rd gen ryzen launch on july 7th.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor | €110.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Motherboard | MSI - B450M PRO-M2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | €63.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | €62.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
Video Card | Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card | €141.45 @ Amazon Deutschland
Power Supply | SeaSonic - S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | €63.24 @ Mindfactory
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | €441.58
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-03 17:51 CEST+0200 |
Much better psu aswell.

You could buy a cheaper 8gb ram kit and b350 board.

The i7-3770 has better single and multicore performance than the Ryzen 3 2200G, however, the hardware including both CPUs and motherboards, and to some extent, memory, for that platform, is getting pretty old by now. Chances are good anything you find probably doesn't have a whole lot of life left in it AND there is really nowhere to upgrade from there without having to again replace everything. It would be a much better option going with a newer platform however if you need a short term solution it's a lot cheaper to pop an i7 in there if your board supports it.

Stay away from the Thermaltake power supplies. The only series they have worth using is their Tough power grand series, and that's ridiculously expensive compared to better units.

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
I'm tight on budget and I will not upgrade the PC afterwards, that's for sure. The only upgrade I'll do it's buying a serious gaming one but until then I'll have to upgrade this one.
So should I go for the i7-3770? It is old but with a RX 570/ GTX 1060/ RX 580, I think it will work for some years.

That's a nice thought, and if it weren't for the fact that any motherboard you might find or have, will already be approximately 6-7 years old, which for a motherboard that's seen frequent continuous use is a pretty long shot. If it's been used primarily for gaming during that time, even more so. If it's not a higher end model and now you're slapping a higher TDP processor on there, even more so.

The problem is, I've seen a lot of people do this, exactly what you are planning to do, over the last two years just to have the motherboard crap out within a month or two, and then they discover that replacing the motherboard costs more than buying a brand new one for any of the current or recent platforms and is hard to justify the expense of it. Add to that the cost of the CPU as well, and you could be well on your way to a full upgrade with motherboard, CPU and memory.

Let me ask this. How much TOTAL could you afford to throw at a system RIGHT NOW? What exactly IS the budget you have to work with?

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
That's a nice thought, and if it weren't for the fact that any motherboard you might find or have, will already be approximately 6-7 years old, which for a motherboard that's seen frequent continuous use is a pretty long shot. If it's been used primarily for gaming during that time, even more so. If it's not a higher end model and now you're slapping a higher TDP processor on there, even more so.

The problem is, I've seen a lot of people do this, exactly what you are planning to do, over the last two years just to have the motherboard crap out within a month or two, and then they discover that replacing the motherboard costs more than buying a brand new one for any of the current or recent platforms and is hard to justify the expense of it. Add to that the cost of the CPU as well, and you could be well on your way to a full upgrade with motherboard, CPU and memory.

Let me ask this. How much TOTAL could you afford to throw at a system RIGHT NOW? What exactly IS the budget you have to work with?
350 Euros with all thing included (CPU, GPU, PSU, Case, SSD, RAM). I said SSD because I already have a good 1TB HDD at home.
I don't know if it is really as you said. I've done the same with my older pc and I left on him the same PSU( is a noname 500W or 450W one idk) and the thing is still going. I did the upgrade some years ago. The motherboard has the same socket 1155 so about 2011-2012( that's the year when I bought it, it was new) and I did the upgrade in 2015 or 2016. If the PC is going to work for another 2 or 3 years, it would be perfect.

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Romania. So that's why it would be a problem for me to import the components via international online shops

I understand. Honestly, I think if I were in your shoes, I'd try the i7 upgrade. At least maybe there is at least moderate availability of used replacement boards for your platform in the even that you do experience a board failure at some point so it wouldn't be a deal breaker. You should see pretty fair performance increase going that way.

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
I understand. Honestly, I think if I were in your shoes, I'd try the i7 upgrade. At least maybe there is at least moderate availability of used replacement boards for your platform in the even that you do experience a board failure at some point so it wouldn't be a deal breaker. You should see pretty fair performance increase going that way.
I found a Ryzen 5 1600 SH and a i7-4770 SH. Maybe I will go for one of these since i can get them for at least 200euros(including motherboard and RAM). If not, I will stay with the i7-3770.
Thanks for your help.

I found a Ryzen 5 1600 SH and a i7-4770 SH. Maybe I will go for one of these...
The z97 was suggested for for the i7 4770 upgrade mentioned. Z97 (or a 4th gen board in general) is needed correct as ivy bridge boards only support 2nd and 3rd gen correct?

Last edited:

Hot___

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
"I found a Ryzen 5 1600 SH and a i7-4770 SH. Maybe I will go for one of these since i can get them for at least 200euros(including motherboard and RAM). If not, I will stay with the i7-3770.
Thanks for your help."

Well then, the Ryzen will have better performance IF you use games or applications with good multithreaded optimization. If you use games or applications that are primarily using four or fewer cores, then the 4770 has the edge, since it has better single core performance. Maybe whichever one is least expensive is the better choice.

I still think as a placeholder in lieu of a much newer upgrade, the 3770 is still an ok choice if you can find one cheap enough. With the Ryzen though, depending on what board it comes with, you may have some better options though in terms of having an upgrade path down the road.