8bz

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
I'm looking to buy a 2070 for myself but I'm having trouble discerning what is the one for me; I've been looking at the 'Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Aorus Xtreme Edition' just because I've seen various places citing it as "the best 2070", I'm not knowledgeable about overclocking and in all honesty just wanted something I could plug in and play whilst being confident I can pull 144fps smoothly with mid-high settings. (if its any use, im running a ryzen 1600 with 16gb DDR4 RAM- holding out until the new ryzen line is released before looking to up my CPU) I'm looking to spend max of about £620 give or take.

Solution
I'm looking to buy a 2070 for myself but I'm having trouble discerning what is the one for me; I've been looking at the 'Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Aorus Xtreme Edition' just because I've seen various places citing it as "the best 2070", I'm not knowledgeable about overclocking and in all honesty just wanted something I could plug in and play whilst being confident I can pull 144fps smoothly with mid-high settings. (if its any use, im running a ryzen 1600 with 16gb DDR4 RAM- holding out until the new ryzen line is released before looking to up my CPU) I'm looking to spend max of about £620 give or take.
What gpu you have right now?
I would recommend to upgrade your cpu cuz A Ryzen 5 1600 and RTX 2070 should handle 1080p144...

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
I would recommend to upgrade your cpu cuz A Ryzen 5 1600 and RTX 2070 should handle 1080p144 without too much issue although anything beyond and it'll probably hold you back a little. With all that said, it will handle 1440p60+ very well, which is probably going to be the ideal spot for a card like the 2070. An Intel CPU will handle higher framerate gaming better, although that will depend on exactly what your expectations are alongside your total use case.
So I'll recommend you to go with gigabyte rtx 2070 aorus (ya its best gpu among all the varieties available) and then upgrade your CPU.

Solution

8bz

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
I would recommend to upgrade your cpu cuz A Ryzen 5 1600 and RTX 2070 should handle 1080p144 without too much issue although anything beyond and it'll probably hold you back a little. With all that said, it will handle 1440p60+ very well, which is probably going to be the ideal spot for a card like the 2070. An Intel CPU will handle higher framerate gaming better, although that will depend on exactly what your expectations are alongside your total use case.
So I'll recommend you to go with gigabyte rtx 2070 aorus (ya its best gpu among all the varieties available) and then upgrade your CPU.
Thanks, Im currently running a GTX 1060 6GB and its done me well but since the move to 144hz its struggled to keep up without completely driving graphics settings into the ground to keep up the frame rate. One thing I was concerned about was the size of the Aorus , the back end where the display ports etc are looks massive. As for the CPU I'm doing a lot of multitasking and streaming etc so I went with Ryzen because apparently thats better for it, any idea on if the 2700x could keep up with Intel if the next generation of Ryzen doesnt impress?

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Thanks, Im currently running a GTX 1060 6GB and its done me well but since the move to 144hz its struggled to keep up without completely driving graphics settings into the ground to keep up the frame rate. One thing I was concerned about was the size of the Aorus , the back end where the display ports etc are looks massive. As for the CPU I'm doing a lot of multitasking and streaming etc so I went with Ryzen because apparently thats better for it, any idea on if the 2700x could keep up with Intel if the next generation of Ryzen doesnt impress?
Ya an ryzen 2700x is an perfect match Or Ryzen 5 2600x to pair with 2070. If you're thinking intel though a good match would be the i5 8600k or 9600k

8bz

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Ya an ryzen 2700x is an perfect match Or Ryzen 5 2600x to pair with 2070. If you're thinking intel though a good match would be the i5 8600k or 9600k
Thanks for the advice , the site I'm buying from says the card is a "pre overclocked edition" so I'm assuming I wont need to make any sort of adjustments to the clock, or do you think its best to tweak stuff on like MSI afterburner etc.