[SOLVED] Why is the 'documents' folder on my computer stored on my HDD (D drive) rather than my local disk (C drive)?

thepcgamer099

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Hi, I noticed that the quick access folders for documents, pictures, downloads, videos etc are all located on my HDD drive (for storage) rather than my OS drive. Does this mean I still have old windows components (files and folders) on my HDD (I used this for my OS before I bought an SSD. I noticed the documents, pictures, downloads folders etc on my C drive (in users folder) were completely empty. Finally, can I just move the contents from the HDD to the relevant folders on the SSD and delete the folders on the HDD? Many thanks.

Solution
So at no point was this new hdd in the pc with the old 1tb drive being used as boot drive? As that might explain old library folder locations, but not if you never actually moved them.

Google, the glorified advertising engine that used to also search things, refuses to find a result that isn't "How to move library locations to another hdd"

Windows shouldn't just move folders to a new drive without asking you. It doesn't appear to be something storage sense can do - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/windows-10-and-storage-sense/ba-p/428270 and I doubt its storage spaces unless you have multiple 1tb drives.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, I noticed that the quick access folders for documents, pictures, downloads, videos etc are all located on my HDD drive (for storage) rather than my OS drive. Does this mean I still have old windows components (files and folders) on my HDD (I used this for my OS before I bought an SSD. I noticed the documents, pictures, downloads folders etc on my C drive (in users folder) were completely empty. Finally, can I just move the contents from the HDD to the relevant folders on the SSD and delete the folders on the HDD? Many thanks.
Give us some backstory on this system.
Where was the OS, where is it now, how did it get there, etc, etc...

Can you show a screencap of what is telling things are on the D?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I agree with the above - upload screenshot to imgur and show link here

Finally, can I just move the contents from the HDD to the relevant folders on the SSD and delete the folders on the HDD? Many thanks.
Not manually and if you didn't do it yourself, is your Onedrive folder located on the hdd and did you move it? As that is one way for library folder locations to be moved without you doing anything - I have my Documents/Music and Pictures folders all showing as D/Onedrive

If they are Onedrive folders, how big is the ssd? there is no real benefit from having them on the ssd really. I moved them there for that very reason.

Last edited:

thepcgamer099

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2013
Give us some backstory on this system.
Where was the OS, where is it now, how did it get there, etc, etc...

Can you show a screencap of what is telling things are on the D?

Windows was never installed on the D drive, I bought the D drive for extra storage after installing my OS on the SSD. My OS was originally on a 1 TB hard drive but I have since formatted that drive.
Find a screenshot here: View: https://imgur.com/a/EVtZPkP

The documents, pictures folders etc on the D drive contain all my documents and pictures, the documents pictures folders on my C drive are empty.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So at no point was this new hdd in the pc with the old 1tb drive being used as boot drive? As that might explain old library folder locations, but not if you never actually moved them.

Google, the glorified advertising engine that used to also search things, refuses to find a result that isn't "How to move library locations to another hdd"

Windows shouldn't just move folders to a new drive without asking you. It doesn't appear to be something storage sense can do - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/storage-at-microsoft/windows-10-and-storage-sense/ba-p/428270 and I doubt its storage spaces unless you have multiple 1tb drives.

Solution