Question Will start games on my PC, run for a little bit then screen becomes a random solid color and makes weird sounds, PC also gets loud

Mar 22, 2020
I recently built my very own PC and all went well. I thought so anyway. I built it without a graphics card and could run games fine since I had a Ryzen 5 2400g cpu and it has the integrated graphics on it. I then bought a ASUS RX 580 DDR5 4GB gpu, and for some reason when I play games I can play them for a little bit then my screen will freeze to a random color and make very loud and horrible noises. All of my gpu drivers are up to date and everything seems fine as far as I can fix it. I don’t know what to do. My parts are below.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g
GPU: ASUS RX580 DDR5 4GB
Mobo: MSI B450M Pro
Ram: Patriot Viper 2x4GB 3000mhz
PSU: EVGA 600BR Certified

Mar 22, 2020
Try uninstalling your GPU drivers with DDU in safe mode. This program removes every trace of the current driver completely.
Reinstall the latest driver for your RX580 afterwards.
i did that and i still have the same problem. except now i can even launch a game. my pc just freezes and goes to a black screen

i did that and i still have the same problem. except now i can even launch a game. my pc just freezes and goes to a black screen

Have you overclocked anything? If you did just go back to stock settings.

Do these crashes happen only on the RX580? Is it working fine with the 2400G iGPU?

If it does I'd suspect the GPU to be faulty, since this is your latest addition to the build. If you've bought the card new, it could be sent to RMA.
Also your PSU might be a possible culprit, though you need to rule out the GPU situation first.

Do you have the possibility to test your RX 580 on another system or to test a different dedicated GPU on yours?

Defenestrator IX

Prominent
May 10, 2019
I recently built my very own PC and all went well. I thought so anyway. I built it without a graphics card and could run games fine since I had a Ryzen 5 2400g cpu and it has the integrated graphics on it. I then bought a ASUS RX 580 DDR5 4GB gpu, and for some reason when I play games I can play them for a little bit then my screen will freeze to a random color and make very loud and horrible noises. All of my gpu drivers are up to date and everything seems fine as far as I can fix it. I don’t know what to do. My parts are below.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g
GPU: ASUS RX580 DDR5 4GB
Mobo: MSI B450M Pro
Ram: Patriot Viper 2x4GB 3000mhz
PSU: EVGA 600BR Certified

I'd say it sounds like an unstable overclock. I used to have a RX 580, and overclocking fails were more catastrophic than on my RTX 2070, usually causing a BSOD or my screen to go black or have lots of colors. An unstable CPU overclock could do the same thing though. But if you aren't overclocking, then try what ChumP said.