Stankenestor

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
I have a question regarding connecting the rm850x to the z390 aorus master motherboard. I have two identical CPU cables that came with the CPU. On one end of the cable it says CPU and you can split the connector on this end, on the other end it says "type 4". Both endings have 8 pins but they do not have the same design, the ending that says type 4 has two squares bottom right and left, and two squares top in the middle. This is the same connection that is on my motherboard, but also on my PSU, meaning the ending that says 'CPU' doesnt fit on the motherboard or the PSU unless i split it, then it becomes 4 pins. So the only way as far as i know to fully cover the CPU 8 pin connector on my motherboard is to use both CPU cables, connect them with the "type 4" ending to my PSU, and then split them to be able to cover the 8 pins needed on my mobo. I've read its generally recommended to cover both 8 pin connectors on my motherboard and doing it this way means i can only cover one of the 8 pin connectors.

Am i missing something? Can i just connect whatever ending to the PSU/mobo, should i not look for the corresponding squares?

Solution
I have a question regarding connecting the rm850x to the z390 aorus master motherboard. I have two identical CPU cables that came with the CPU. On one end of the cable it says CPU and you can split the connector on this end, on the other end it says "type 4". Both endings have 8 pins but they do not have the same design, the ending that says type 4 has two squares bottom right and left, and two squares top in the middle. This is the same connection that is on my motherboard, but also on my PSU, meaning the ending that says 'CPU' doesnt fit on the motherboard or the PSU unless i split it, then it becomes 4 pins. So the only way as far as i know to fully cover the CPU 8 pin connector on my motherboard is to use both CPU cables...
I have a question regarding connecting the rm850x to the z390 aorus master motherboard. I have two identical CPU cables that came with the CPU. On one end of the cable it says CPU and you can split the connector on this end, on the other end it says "type 4". Both endings have 8 pins but they do not have the same design, the ending that says type 4 has two squares bottom right and left, and two squares top in the middle. This is the same connection that is on my motherboard, but also on my PSU, meaning the ending that says 'CPU' doesnt fit on the motherboard or the PSU unless i split it, then it becomes 4 pins. So the only way as far as i know to fully cover the CPU 8 pin connector on my motherboard is to use both CPU cables, connect them with the "type 4" ending to my PSU, and then split them to be able to cover the 8 pins needed on my mobo. I've read its generally recommended to cover both 8 pin connectors on my motherboard and doing it this way means i can only cover one of the 8 pin connectors.

Am i missing something? Can i just connect whatever ending to the PSU/mobo, should i not look for the corresponding squares?
If you have to split a cable you are doing something wrong. They are able to split if you ONLY need a 4 pin and not a full 8 pin. The full 8 pin will plug into the motherboard and PSU.

Solution

Stankenestor

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
If you have to split a cable you are doing something wrong. They are able to split if you ONLY need a 4 pin and not a full 8 pin. The full 8 pin will plug into the motherboard and PSU.
The 8 pin sockets on the motherboard and the PSU share the same design, but the CPU cables do not share the same design in both endings. So should I not care about the squared corners and just plug in whatever? Which ending goes in the CPU and which goes in the PSU?

The 8 pin sockets on the motherboard and the PSU share the same design, but the CPU cables do not share the same design in both endings. So should I not care about the squared corners and just plug in whatever? Which ending goes in the CPU and which goes in the PSU?
You have to match the connections. There are certain cables that are specifically for the CPU. They should fit only one way.