Windows Security

Page 4 - Forum discussion tagged with Windows Security.
  1. G

    On screen info window

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?) When I place the mouse on an icon, a window opens and explains what to do. What is this window called, and how do I turn it off?
  2. G

    COMPUTER FREEZING

    I have a computer which i got a couple of days ago, the first thing i did was connect wireless adaptor computer worked fine then i tried to install nvidia grapics card, when i turned computer on after installing grapics card computer would not turn on so i took it out and computer worked fine...
  3. S

    Where to find xp today now that the don\'t support it

    help, we need to restore/put a version of XP back in on laptop-- Drive died, no boot disk available, and a new drive is in place. who still has copies we can buy?
  4. G

    Starting up in login screen. Why?

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?) Hi, for some reason when I start up my laptop it doesn't go straight into the Windows desktop--it makes me choose which user account I want: Mine; Guest; ASP.Net Machine A... This last one was just created after I installed...
  5. G

    taskbar

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?) How do I put the small icon with the pencil on my task bar so that when I click it all the windws are reduced and I see only the desktop?
  6. ChilledGrease

    Install or sell?

    Hi, So I bought a Windows 8 Pro upgrade about a month ago, but I hesitated to install it because of the negative reviews I read and a lack of the start menu. Now, the price has gone up from the $70 I bought it for, to $200 on newegg. Here's my question: is it worth the loss of start menu to...
  7. D

    My XP operating system is not working properly after an Update?

    Hello,i need to restore. my system restore can be picked but it is stuck on the present month. I cannot go back any months to choose a earlier bold date
  8. V

    FAX CONSOLE

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?) I have set up to best of knowledge to auto receive but it does not work,manual receive yes auto no any idea why
  9. dsnyder24

    No "set affinity" in Task Manager

    sorry if this has already been asked but i couldnt find a proper answer for me. I have 64 bit Win7 and i need to set my affinity to CPU 0 & 1 for a certain game that doesnt run well on my i7 860. I contacted them and they told me this is what I need to do. I do know how to USUALLY do this (task...
  10. A

    37 25 GB unallocated on a 1TB external hard drive

    Hello, I have a 1 TB external hard drive (Hitachi NESO 2501S). its showing that only 37.25 GB is unallocated. Im running Windows XP service pack 3. What do i need to do to be able to get around 980GB to 1TB as unallocated?
  11. H

    Does something like this exist?

    I'm sure all of you with TN monitors are aware with the problems associated with viewing angle and gamma curves. On my 22'' LG monitor I notice a big difference in gamma even from the top of the screen to the bottom. It's very off-putting in movies, and makes calibrating my display a real pain...
  12. M

    Samsung 932B & 931BW. Difference? 2ms(GTG)=Xms(BTB)...X=????

    Samsung 932B has response time of 5ms and 931BW has response time of 2ms(gtg). So is there much difference between the response times of these lcd monitors for playing games? I have learnt that 2ms(gtg)=5ms(btb). Is this equation right?? Help me. :?:
  13. G

    Solution for Agfa Snapscan 1212u communication problem

    Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?) Hello. I upgraded my equipment to Windows XP and started getting this error: ++++ PROBLEM DESCRIPTION +++++ ++++ SAT ERROR ID: A communication problem occurred. Open the log file to find out more. ++++++++ERROR STRING: General SCSI...
  14. G

    Reliability: Single-Pass Lasers versus Single-Pass LEDS

    Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?) Hi. Which technology would offer the better reliabilty? Would one of the approaches be superior when duplexing? Is one approach to printing quieter than the other? Thanks for any replies.
  15. G

    HP 845c Inket replaced color cartridge, and does not funct..

    Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?) My gf just replaced color cartridge, and now the bloody thing prints only one color- magenta. Prints black okay, but this is quite frustrating as there is no info at the HP site (AFAI am able find) that addresses this specific problem. I...
  16. F

    compatable with biostar M7VIG-Pro?

    Any suggestions for a reasonably priced, decent scanner for a Biostar M7VIG-Pro mainboard (with usb 2.0). I haven't tried hooking anything up via usb on this board yet. I am concerned I might run into comaptability issues...such as I've had with boards with via chipsets and usb ver. 1.1 (usb...
  17. G

    Device Manager

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?) Device manager missing. How do I get it back. Thanks for your help
  18. G

    mp3 player driver

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?) my new mp3 player driver will not install on windows xp pro. every time i attempt it it say the driver does not comply with windows logo testing or something along those lines. i have a "chip mp10" mp3 player. please help
  19. G

    Help, Please.

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?) I just recently upgraded from Windows ME to XP Professional. However, I'm having a large problem- ever since I upgraded the OS, my CD-RW drive stopped working. It's a Sony CRX225E. The message I get when I try to get it...
  20. G

    CAB Files

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?) I have a directory that is now showing called MSOCache and it is full of CAB files.. Can I safely delete it? Thanks
  21. D

    Need help with unique problem

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?) Hi, I am having a problem that my service provide can solve. I sent an email with an attachment (jpg) from my dial-up account to my (brand) new dsl account (new computer) and while the email arrived there was no...
  22. J

    VPN latency DESPERATE!! Please help

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?) For a year I have been accessing my corporate office through a VPN with Blue Ridge Networks and Citrix on a Win 98 (Office 97) machine and a laptop (Win 2000 Pro and Office XP), using a cable modem and Lynksys VPN...
  23. G

    CD-RW Drive Code 39

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?) Dear all Can some body help recenly reinstalled windows xp and keep geting blue screen and when i send the crash report of it reports hardware drive problem so i have updated all my drives and since then i can not access...
  24. G

    HELP...restore points

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?) I have XP Home upgrade from 98 and I remember shutting off system restore for something I did, and didn't re-start it. . . just uninstalled Roxio from my computer for some problems with the program and now my 2 CD drives are...
  25. C

    msn messeger 6.2 and SP2 video/audio streams ...

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?) i am experiencing a jerky video and audio problems with MSN Messenger 6.2 and WinXP Pro SP2 ... the video and audio periodically freeze for a brief moment and then rush forward with greater than normal speed, then works...
  26. T

    inactive windows interupting me

    When i am using IE6, i tend to use multiple windows for my browsing. but when i click a link on one page and switch to another window, the other window pop to the foreground everytime it is updated. this can happen several times before the page is completely loaded. how can i prevent this? i...
  27. J

    XP w/Java enabled?

    I have a legal copy of XP Pro (on a dual boot Dell), I have heard that SP 1 isn't quite the "fix" promised and have decided to wait awhile on the SP1 download - but I'd like to get the feature that enables Java to run on XP. Anyone know how to get this alone without the whole shabang?
  28. C

    Internet Explorer size

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?) How do I stop Internet Explorer from opening minimized each time I log on to the internet. I have tryed everything I can think of. But the next time I open it, it is minimized again. I believe something has been posted...
  29. C

    GeForceDDR will not install/work/NO GAMES ;(

    Everything's good now, except I can't get my ASUS DDR installed at all. Nvidia 2000/XP 21.83 drivers don't work, damned ASUS doesn't even have beta XP drivers for anything below V7100(mine's V6800), I'm in the process of trying Nvidia beta and older win2k drivers. Anyone know what the problem...
  30. G

    Cannot Open Local Policy

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?) Hi, fail to open the local policy in Win2000 Server SP3. Returned message saying cannot open with unknown error. Any help will be much appreciated.
  31. G

    Problems with SP4+Rollup

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?) I have a Windows2000 Professional machine that has been running 24/7 since early 2001. It has been restarted twice, once after applying SP1 and again after applying SP3. SP2 was skipped. Except for those two restarts it has...
  32. G

    password complexity

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?) i have enabled password complexity at the domain level which works fine, but i have downlevel OU's which I DO NOT wish to have this restriction/policy enforced. Is this possible ??? thanks Richard
  33. G

    Windows 2003 terminal serve statistics

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?) Hi Is it possible to view statistic for terminal server users (what time/date they connect to terminal server, applications that they're using...) Does anyone know...
  34. G

    How to change modem?

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?) I've 2 modem (modem A & modem B). Usually, I use the modem A for the activity of fax. But now, I wanna fax with modem B. Can I change it? Wait... Can I do too for Phone Dialer?
  35. O

    Alias for a server

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?) Just to confirm that I'm correct, We are planning to migrate our old storage system with NT4 to a new box with w2003, a lot of users have access to this old server have access to it by mapped drives and with applications...
  36. U

    Bugcheck ?

    Firstly, Hi all... I hope someone can help. During online gaming only (CoD) my pc will randomly re-boot. I have turned-off the auto-reboot in the APM , re-installed sp4, defragged, etc, etc... Im tending to think I have a memory issue but dont know where to start looking to solve it. I have been...
  37. G

    Deploying icon to numerous desktops

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?) Hi, Is there a simple way to deploy an icon onto all desktops on win2kPro I cant use standard MS tools as the OS is pretty welll locked down, and admin is done by bespoke system. I thought about somesort of batch...
  38. B

    disk i/o performance

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?) from a file system level, i wnat to measure disk i/o performance and benchmark. then i'd like to defrag, and then re-benchmark and compare. what utility would i use? SiSoft Sandra? Windows 2000 Server, SCSI Raid 0+1
  39. G

    Trouble Using NETDOM to add workstation to a specific OU w..

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?) I have found a really wierd problem using netdom with the join switch to add a machine to a domain into a specific organisational unit. If a computer account with the same name as the one i am about to join exists in...
  40. K

    Memory.DMP File

    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?) Hi, Our Exchange server C:\ Drive is almost running out of disk space, there is a 2.4GB Memory.DMP file in WINNT directory. I was wondering if it is safe to delete the file? Thanks, Kyle