Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
I want to upgrade my PC since I feel that there is a bottleneck from my cpu.
(CPU is constantly on 90% load when playing rainbowsix siege and can spike up to 100% when chrome is loaded on background)
I am getting either a 8700k or a 9700 or a 9700k whichever is better of a 'value'
(not considering the 9900k since I think its quite expensive and I don't really need that much power)
Current build i have is listed in pcpartpicker
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NxTLtg

EDIT:
Also need a recommendation on a motherboard for the LGA1151 CL
Currently looking at between
Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero (AUD$ 459 )
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra (AUD$ 429 )
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon (AUD$ 319 )
Would also like to hear some other recommendation

Last edited:
Solution
9700x is slightly faster than 8700k.
Dont go with the $350 8700k s it gets beat by a much cheaper 3600x.

Look here:
View: https://youtu.be/fomRyGNZ2og

I would suggest a 3700x which has 8 cores and 16 threads. Its pretty efficient so even cheap boards will work. A $160 msi mpg x570 is a good option for oit of the box support.

fredfinks

Honorable
Id go with a 2nd hand 8700k from ebay but i had a look at the price just now (im also in Aus) and theres only two available and quite expensive. They selling for more than what it cost me to import from Newegg last year.

The prob with 9700k is that intel nixed the hyperthreading.

Anyway, you do not need to spend so much on a mobo. Save your $. Out of the list i'd go with the msi but id look for a cheaper z board. I went with asus prime-a. It doesnt have as good VRM as the others but its good enough. Mobos dont hold their value well on resale and i prefer to put $ elsewhere.

It looks all of those CPU's will relieve the bottleneck equally. Here is an estimate:

Have you considered an AMD build?

Preferably neither.
Ryzen 3000 series launches TODAY and buying an i7 right now is silly. Wait a few hours for the reviews.

In the meantime:

If you do upgrade to intel, go for the 9700k and thr msi mpg z390 board.

after browsing most reviews, 9700K and 9900K still on top of them all, gaming-wise...

I'm a bit disappointed, expected gaming to more closely match based on all the leaks...

That did not seem to happen.....9700K and 9900K still have 'comfortable' leads....

Time for some price cuts, as the 3700X about matches the 8700K now...(presumably, matching the gaming performance of a processor released in Oct 2017 is a good thing, but, it somehow sounds less impressive in that context!

And overclock headroom of 3600 as tested in HardwareUnboxed? 125 MHz only.. Ouch.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Yup. Who would have guessed AMDs slightly worse for gaming but wins for multithreaded workloads.
I was expecting it not to beat the 9900k but depends on game it doesn't really matter for 1440p or 4k as your gpu bound.I am still happy with my 2600 and see no need to upgrade.If i had to go intel i would go either a 2600k or 8700k.The 9xxx series have no value for me then i might as well get a ryzen 3 as it's a little worst in gaming a lot faster in multitasking and it's cheaper than intel

The most impressive stat came from hardware unboxed video.
The 3900x beats the 9900k by over 40% in Blender, however, the 3900x had an 8% lower system power draw.

AMD just destroys Intel in multithreaded workloads. Even 8 core 3700x beats the 8 core 3900x

However, Intel overclocks further and performs a lot better in some games, while it performs close to AMD in some games.

May 29, 2019
The 3900x beats the 9900k by over 40% in Blender, however, the 3900x had an 8% lower system power draw.

AMD just destroys Intel in multithreaded workloads. Even 8 core 3700x beats the 8 core 3900x

However, Intel overclocks further and performs a lot better in some games, while it performs close to AMD in some games.
It doesn’t perform a lot better, we’re talking like a 5-10 fps difference in most titles, even the ones that favor intel

Here's the Gamers Nexus comparison of the 8700K and 9700K, both stock and overclocked:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3421-intel-i7-9700k-review-benchmark-vs-8700k-and-more

Yes, the top Intel chips do edge out the new Ryzen 3000's in gaming, but the difference isn't great, and if you use your computer for almost anything else, Ryzen really pulls ahead. If it were me, I would go with a Ryzen build. You also have a potential for future chip upgrades on the AM4 platform.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVUdpcKZMA[/URL]"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVUdpcKZMA[/URL]

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
I have never considered or tried an AMD build since I have never followed them. Would prefer going for intel just because 'its intel' but if you guys currently consider AMD to be an overall better performer I might need to take a look. For my current situation I just need a new CPU and Mobo since my 6600k can't really handle my 1440p gaming.
It looks all of those CPU's will relieve the bottleneck equally. Here is an estimate:

Have you considered an AMD build?

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
Id go with a 2nd hand 8700k from ebay but i had a look at the price just now (im also in Aus) and theres only two available and quite expensive. They selling for more than what it cost me to import from Newegg last year.

The prob with 9700k is that intel nixed the hyperthreading.

Anyway, you do not need to spend so much on a mobo. Save your $. Out of the list i'd go with the msi but id look for a cheaper z board. I went with asus prime-a. It doesnt have as good VRM as the others but its good enough. Mobos dont hold their value well on resale and i prefer to put $ elsewhere.
Is the 9700k no-iGPU worth it even without hyperthreading? considering that it is 20 dollars cheaper than the 8700k.
Motherboards mostly hover around the 300 dollar mark at least for z390.
I mean you're right I should get a cheaper board. the ones I list above are just Mobo I chose because of mostly the aesthetics and partly because of features.
I'm not sure if I should get the Asrock Taichi since it is reviewed as the best performer for its price.

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
9700x is slightly faster than 8700k.
Dont go with the $350 8700k s it gets beat by a much cheaper 3600x.

Look here:
View: https://youtu.be/fomRyGNZ2og

I would suggest a 3700x which has 8 cores and 16 threads. Its pretty efficient so even cheap boards will work. A $160 msi mpg x570 is a good option for oit of the box support.
Is it worth it to wait and see the benchmarks of the 10th gen intel ?

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
Think remixislandmusic meant if you had slower ram below 3000 ie 2133/2400 it'll be worth getting 3000 to help cpu maintain a higher fps minimum. Anywhere from 3000 to 3600 is good.

How much FPS am I going to get if I upgrade my RAM ? since getting a 3000 RAM is quite an expensive upgrade and is it worth upgrading from my 2x8GB 2133mHz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How much FPS am I going to get if I upgrade my RAM ? since getting a 3000 RAM is quite an expensive upgrade and is it worth upgrading from my 2x8GB 2133mHz

In some games no difference but in busier cpu games like BF1&5, Witcher 3, Ghost Recon WL or FC5 and the cpu needing to prepare a high level of frames, faster ram will help keep data flowing more effectively and reduce the chances of stutters. You may not see a great deal more fps but gameplay will be smoother / less fps drops / more stable minimum fps not having the gpu wait on the cpu to get through stuff offered by slower ram.

Last edited:

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
In some games no difference but in busier cpu games like BF1&5, Witcher 3, Ghost Recon WL or FC5 and the cpu needing to prepare a high level of frames, faster ram will help keep data flowing more effectively and reduce the chances of stutters. You may not see a great deal more fps but gameplay will be smoother / less fps drops / more stable minimum fps not having the gpu wait on the cpu to get through stuff offered by slower ram.
Does this mean that having a higher speed RAM might potentially greatly reduce my chances of stutters and also lowers the chances of me getting frame drops ? Just wondering for you personally would you consider spending/upgrading your RAM for an extra AUD$180 (I know its a subjective question)

Does this mean that having a higher speed RAM might potentially greatly reduce my chances of stutters and also lowers the chances of me getting frame drops ? Just wondering for you personally would you consider spending/upgrading your RAM for an extra AUD$180 (I know its a subjective question)
You could also try to overclock your RAM - 2133 really is the baseline, if you're lucky you can push it to 2666 by relaxing the timings a little bit - which even with your current CPU would improve things some.
If you can boot windows at a given frequency, you can then start a memtest86+ run for a few hours. If it's good, push it some more. If you can boot but get errors, try upping the voltage some.
Then, benchmark!