kombe2002

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
My computer has been really really slow and at times I cannot control it at all, cannot CTRL + ALT + DEL, move mouse (it actually disappears), or type. At times I get the error - the sign in process couldn't display security and sign in options. I got McAfee and ran scans, it found no viruses. Browing the web is insanely choppy, even when I am just looking through my file explorer and all. I'm not sure what to do, any tips? Thanks!

PC Specs

i7 4790k
GTX 980
Samsung SSD 240GB
2TB HDD
Windows 10

My computer - http://powerspec.com/systems/system_specs.phtml?selection=G423

Solution
Honestly, with suspected virus/malware and sluggish performance, the safest route -- and the one that also eliminates software issues as being a cause -- is a full wipe of your OS drive and a fresh Windows install.

If someone with COVID-19 was hanging out in your kitchen, you wouldn't try to figure out what in the kitchen they touched, you would disinfect the entire kitchen.
Does task manager/performance show normal clock speeds, which should vary depending on what tasks are started/stopped? (Looking to make sure you are not locked at constant 800 MHz; you should see it jumping around from 800 MHz, to 1000, to 2300, etc., a few times per second as you launch assorted applications. If you launch a heavy all-core loading, such as CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, it should maintain about 4.0 GHz acrosss all cores as indicated in HWMonitor for the duration it is running...; once, stopped, if in Balanced Power plan, should drop back down to fluctuating between 800-3000 MHz for normal desktop loafing, changing several times per second...)

With all browsers closed, and no programs launched after startup, what cpu usage is indicated in task manager/processes?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, with suspected virus/malware and sluggish performance, the safest route -- and the one that also eliminates software issues as being a cause -- is a full wipe of your OS drive and a fresh Windows install.

If someone with COVID-19 was hanging out in your kitchen, you wouldn't try to figure out what in the kitchen they touched, you would disinfect the entire kitchen.

Solution

kombe2002

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

Facts... I'm gonna do that now. If I put a few files in my D drive (secondary drive) they should remain untouched right? Or will those files delete along with what's on my windows drive? Thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Facts... I'm gonna do that now. If I put a few files in my D drive (secondary drive) they should remain untouched right? Or will those files delete along with what's on my windows drive? Thanks

They should, but things can happen - these important files should always be backed up! At the very least, disconnect the secondary drive completely to avoid any possible mixups. Then, if you don't have backups now, please make sure to address that problem once you've got your OS up and running. The most depressing threads here are the ones where people lose their important files and we have to tell them that it's either a data recovery firm or just losing their files!

TRENDING THREADS