HardAsARockie

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
Hello. I have an EVGA RTX 3080 coupled with an Intel i7-8700K processor. My average FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 is 65FPS, but I'm noticing that my CPU is taking the hit here. As said in the title, I checked through a recording of task manager through OBS that my CPU usage is hitting 95-100% while my GPU is hitting 45-55%. I tried to adjust the CPU power consumption by editing the power plan, but as I lowered the processing power management, my GPU usage dropped 10% and I began to lag in Cyberpunk, going down to 40FPS.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Could the processor not be clocking to its height of 4.7Ghz? I would assume the 8700K would be powerful enough for the 3080.

Thanks so much to anyone who helps!

Solution
Hello. I have an EVGA RTX 3080 coupled with an Intel i7-8700K processor. My average FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 is 65FPS, but I'm noticing that my CPU is taking the hit here. As said in the title, I checked through a recording of task manager through OBS that my CPU usage is hitting 95-100% while my GPU is hitting 45-55%. I tried to adjust the CPU power consumption by editing the power plan, but as I lowered the processing power management, my GPU usage dropped 10% and I began to lag in Cyberpunk, going down to 40FPS.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Could the processor not be clocking to its height of 4.7Ghz? I would assume the 8700K would be powerful enough for the 3080.

Im not very knowledgeable...

Im not very knowledgeable on the working of OBS, but I imagine you used cpu power on obs? Maybe instead of recording task manager, just keep the game open and (windows key + G) this will open Xbox game bar. In the settings you can open a graph for cpu gpu ram VRAM usage. Maybe try that and see what the CPU figure says

Solution

HardAsARockie

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
Im not very knowledgeable on the working of OBS, but I imagine you used cpu power on obs? Maybe instead of recording task manager, just keep the game open and (windows key + G) this will open Xbox game bar. In the settings you can open a graph for cpu gpu ram VRAM usage. Maybe try that and see what the CPU figure says
Wow, yeah. You're correct. Looks like I'm getting 100% on both now. I think that's normal. Curious as to why task manager isn't accurate, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind for future benchmarking. Thanks for the help. Should I be concerned about 100% CPU usage?

Dec 12, 2020
Should I be concerned about 100% CPU usage?

As long as you have a decent cooling solution, you should be fine. When looking at CPU (and GPU), you should be primarily concerned with the temperature of these parts. A third party hardware monitor will usually have these statistics. Modern CPU's are advertised to be able to run up to 100C without issue most of the time, and is supposed to limit performance automatically to prevent it from ever reaching a "dangerous temperature".

That being said, the better your cooling solution and lower you can keep your CPU/GPU temperatures, the better performance you may see if those components are hitting those higher temperatures. Some online have stated that hitting these upper temperatures consistently will lower the components lifespan, others will say the previously mentioned safeguards prevent that, but I don't know enough to say for sure. Overall though, you shouldn't worry. But, if you're curious to see if you're hitting those upper limits a better cooling solution might benefit your overall performance.