Question GTX970 dying? showed up in my hidden devices once then never returned

joebailey

Reputable
Jun 30, 2017
Hello

I have had this GTX 970 for nearly 4 years and in the last year occasionally it will just say "no video input" and I had to do really random things like remove the cmos, swap ram around etc. But since a few days ago I have been unable to fix it, nothing I normally do is working.
I saw that driver's may be causing the issue so I deleted them earlier, then reinstalled ram, cleared cmos and restarted, then I went to device manager and clicked view hidden devices and my Gtx970 was there! Unfortunately the guide I was reading told me to uninstall it and now I still get no video input, can't install drivers (without gpu) and can't view it in hidden devices...
I really cannot understand the significance of the fact that it did appear in the list of hidden devices, does that mean it is still alive? What can I do to fix this? I desperately do not want to buy a new GPU due to the price gouges atm, this gtx970 is worth now more second hand than it was when I bought it new...

Thanks a lot.

Hello

I have had this GTX 970 for nearly 4 years and in the last year occasionally it will just say "no video input" and I had to do really random things like remove the cmos, swap ram around etc. But since a few days ago I have been unable to fix it, nothing I normally do is working.
I saw that driver's may be causing the issue so I deleted them earlier, then reinstalled ram, cleared cmos and restarted, then I went to device manager and clicked view hidden devices and my Gtx970 was there! Unfortunately the guide I was reading told me to uninstall it and now I still get no video input, can't install drivers (without gpu) and can't view it in hidden devices...
I really cannot understand the significance of the fact that it did appear in the list of hidden devices, does that mean it is still alive? What can I do to fix this? I desperately do not want to buy a new GPU due to the price gouges atm, this gtx970 is worth now more second hand than it was when I bought it new...

Thanks a lot.
It may not be the card having a problem it maybe the mobo or even power failure. Not getting enough power will mess with the card hard....

joebailey

Reputable
Jun 30, 2017
It may not be the card having a problem it maybe the mobo or even power failure. Not getting enough power will mess with the card hard....

It could certainly be the PSU, GTX 970 uses tonnes of power, but it has been find for years, well I ordered a GTX 1660 TI, going to try to test the 970 and potentiall sell it or just keep it and sell the 1660TI

joebailey

Reputable
Jun 30, 2017
Do not DO NOT FOR THE LIFE OF GOD. Please dont try to boot the system with the 1660 in it... Untill we can rule out your psu last thing we want is for you to fry a brand new card

Thankfully I got cold feet haha, bought a new PSU gold standard 650 W corsair, will test if the Graphics card works with the new PSU when it arrives, if it doesn't work I will send it to my friend to test it and if it doesn't work in my friends pc i will just buy a new GPU (nothing fancy though since the prices are so inflated)

Reactions: white.a.drew