Status
Not open for further replies.

techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
I am having trouble deciding between two monitors: Dell U2719D and LG 27GL850. I am currently using two HP 27er (60 Hz) which I am considering upgrading from due to the low PPI. I prefer the design of the U2719D since it has smaller bezels but it lacks support for G Sync and 144 Hz which the GL850 has. Does 144 Hz make that much of a difference for gaming? Thanks!

Solution
To me, there's a big difference. I accidently forgot to set the refresh rate in Nvidia control panel to 144Hz after reinstalling the driver at one time.

At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my game. It was nowhere near as smooth as it usually was, everything felt kinda choppy or as if frames were dropping. It felt completely wrong. The image was still great, but the way it felt was all wrong and unpleasant.
Then I finally realized my refresh rate was set to 60Hz - setting it back to 144Hz again, instantly rectified everything that felt wrong, and it showed - to me at least - how much of a difference there is when using a high refresh rate monitor.

It depends on what games you play. I don't really need the 144Hz when I'm...
I would personally go for a high refresh-rate monitor with adaptive sync at this point if gaming performance is a concern. Do keep in mind that you will be getting lower frame rates in most games at 1440p compared to 1080p though.

TFT Central reviewed both of these screens, if you are interested in checking in-depth reviews...

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2719d.htm

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

RTINGS also provides a lot of detailed comparisons between them...

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/dell-u2719d-vs-lg-27gl850/750/912

To me, there's a big difference. I accidently forgot to set the refresh rate in Nvidia control panel to 144Hz after reinstalling the driver at one time.

At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my game. It was nowhere near as smooth as it usually was, everything felt kinda choppy or as if frames were dropping. It felt completely wrong. The image was still great, but the way it felt was all wrong and unpleasant.
Then I finally realized my refresh rate was set to 60Hz - setting it back to 144Hz again, instantly rectified everything that felt wrong, and it showed - to me at least - how much of a difference there is when using a high refresh rate monitor.

It depends on what games you play. I don't really need the 144Hz when I'm playing Transport Fever 2 for instance.
Or if your graphics card can't push enough fps, then it doesn't really improve over a monitor with a lower refresh rate.

But as someone already stated in this thread, even moving things around quickly on desktop will look very different - way more smooth and fluid at higher refresh rates. That may not seem very important, but it is a good way to visualize the differences between refresh rates.

I can never go back from high refresh rates. Before I had a 144Hz monitor, I just thought it would be nice to have one, but I was very happy at 60Hz. Then I bought a new monitor, and now I 'm addicted :p

Last edited:
Solution

techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018

It depends on what games you play. I don't really need the 144Hz when I'm playing Transport Fever 2 for instance.
Or if your graphics card can't push enough fps, then it doesn't really improve over a monitor with a lower refresh rate.

But as someone already stated in this thread, even moving things around quickly on desktop will look very different - way more smooth and fluid at higher refresh rates. That may not seem very important, but it is a good way to visualize the differences between refresh rates.

I can never go back from high refresh rates. Before I had a 144Hz monitor, I just thought it would be nice to have one, but I was very happy at 60Hz. Then I bought a new monitor, and now I 'm addicted :p
Alright, I’m sold but I have one last question: can my PC push out 144 FPS?

Specs
CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.5 GHz
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB

It's going to depend a lot on the game. A number of e-sports titles and older or otherwise less-demanding games may be able to maintain 144fps on that hardware at 1440p. Many demanding games won't manage that though, especially if you turn up their graphics settings. However, that's where G-Sync Compatible / FreeSync adaptive sync comes into play. With that active, your monitor's refresh rate will match your frame rate up to 144Hz while avoiding stuttering or screen tearing. So even if you are only getting around 90fps in some game, that's still significantly more frames than what a 60Hz monitor can display. And even in titles where your frame rate dips below 60fps, having adaptive sync should make that less noticeable. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near 144fps in most newer games running at high graphics settings, but you can still benefit from having a high refresh-rate adaptive sync display in those titles.

May 1, 2019

I used to do this brain trick or whatever you call it, i used to set my refreshrate to 30hz and limit my game to 30 fps and play like that for 5-10minutes, later on switching back to 60fps 60hz felt so damn smooth. You can do this too on 144hz monitor like switching and limiting yourself to very low framerates so that the 70fps could feel extremely smooth

I used to do this brain trick or whatever you call it, i used to set my refreshrate to 30hz and limit my game to 30 fps and play like that for 5-10minutes, later on switching back to 60fps 60hz felt so damn smooth. You can do this too on 144hz monitor like switching and limiting yourself to very low framerates so that the 70fps could feel extremely smooth

That's exactly what happened when I forgot to set the refresh rate from 60Hz to 144Hz as I refer to in my post. I've never thought of doing it on purpose though - maybe I should begin to do that once a month or so, to remind me why I like high refresh rates so much :D

Reactions: garlicc juice
Status
Not open for further replies.