AlanRT

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2015
About a year ago I bought a CM 80+ Gold PSU and it worked well for a few months. Then the wiring noises started and honestly they are loud and scary. I have sent the PSU back together with the GPU (because there was loud coil whine from it as well) and borrowed a PSU that 100% worked from a friend and now 3 weeks later, the noises started on this PSU. The GPU is brand new now as it was replaced but i'm starting to think the PSU was not the problem. Or maybe it was the problem, damaged the mobo and now the mobo is damaging every other PSU.
The wall sockets are not the problem. I have tested with different sockets. Here is a screenshot of the results with Open Hardware Monitor. I don't know what I'm looking at or need to look at . I also have no more clues as to what to do. What else can I tell the shop about the the PC parts and what do I send back. After months dealing with this i am so desperate to throw everything away.

Test result 1

Test result 2 Result of test while game is running. The power supply seems pretty stable across all cores and on the GPU as well. But I don't know if it's the mobo that eventually damaged the GPU as well. Man i'm done with pcs. Thank you to anyone that reads this.

PC parts are
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video
Case: SHARKOON VS4-W ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully
2SSDs and 2HDDs

AlanRT

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2015
Quality of the PSU's might be the issue.

They are both from top brands and higher tier. They worked fine for a while without any noises or problems and suddenly they start having performance issues. Especially the one borrowed which was working perfectly for a year with my friend without noises and 3 weeks after I use it, it starts to mess up. Not sure anymore how it's a PSU problem only.

if you still have this system functioning and the sound being produced, make a recording of it and post it here so we can hear it.

your PSU does it's own monitoring of internal temps and efficiency. outside of the "power on", "power off", etc signals there is really no communication going from your motherboard to the PSU, so there is very little chance your motherboard is damaging PSUs.

what did the manufacturer report when you RMA'd your PSU? there should be some information regarding what they determined; if it is actually damaged and will be replaced, etc.

also, there is no way possible that two totally different PSUs can end up making the same noise. they have different fans with different bearings, different transistors, different rated materials, etc. it would have to be something else in your setup creating the sound.

and almost no Cooler Master PSUs are top brand/higher tier. almost all of them get mediocre to bad reviews on any hardware testing site. they are generally not recommended for any higher functioning/gaming system.

considering the GPU(s); what do you consider "coil whine"?

Last edited: