ram subu

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Hi Experts,
I am new to PC Build and have few questions around it. Please guide me with the below queries.

Purpose:
  • System should boot fast and should be smooth.
  • I need to connect my PC with multiple monitors or laptop screens for multi-tasking.
  • Daily usage like Microsoft Word, PPT, Excel. Copying files. Web browsing etc.
  • I want to play games like GTA 5, assassin's creed and any other games similar to that. (I am not a Pro gamer)
  • I do not do any video editing works.

Specs that I might need:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3xxx (Not sure whether to go with AMD APU or normal AMD CPU)
  • GPU: Not sure which one to pick
  • RAM: 8+8GB DDR4
  • SSD: 250GB M.2 NVME
  • HDD: 2TB SATA3.0
  • Motherboard: Should contain all the required ports. Should be capable for upgrading at later stage.
  • Power Supply: 550W or more (Not very sure what to pick as per the above specs)
  • Monitor: With 120Hz or 144Hz display assuming the game will run at more than 100 FPS
Questions that I have:
  • Based on my purpose that I mentioned above, do I need a CPU with integrated graphic card? If I go with AMD CPU without integrated graphics and a dedicated GPU, what problems I would be facing? Can I connect my PC with multiple monitors?
  • What GPU is best of normal gaming that I mentioned above?
  • I am planning to install games in HDD, will that affect the game performance? Will installing games in SDD improve the performance significantly?
  • Do I really need a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor to get the 100 FPS experience? Can I feel the 100FPS in a normal 60Hz monitor?
  • What power supply will be correct for my PC?
Thanks for your response!!
Thanks
Subbu

Solution
Unless severely budget limited (i.e., no GPU budget at all), and /or perhaps playing older games or content with 720P play at very modest settings, the 2000/3000 series APU's are not exactly CPU or iGPU powerhouses, you'd be better served with a better GPU and even a GTX1650 or RX5500XT, and , a better CPU such as an R5-1600AF or even the R3-3300X, or, better yet, the R5-3600 which is an overwhelming favorite go-to these days....

As for greater than 60 Hz gaming, you'd certainly be rarerely worrying about ever attaining such framerates from an APU. (To display more than 60 Hz, you need a monitor and GPU capable of the higher refresh rate, but, far more important to the gaming experience is to have enough GPU and CPU to not be...

IproZ1

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
If you want to play games like Assassin's creed, especially the new one, you'll need something better than integrated graphics, so I suggest you get a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of 3200MHz RAM, because Ryzen loves fast memory, and these days it's not much more expensive. As the CPU is very capable you have a lot of choices for GPUs, from 1660TI, to RX 5600, RX 5700XT, RTX 2070 or 2070 Super, depending on your budget. I'd recommend a 750W PSU, which should be more than enough even at full load. I recommend Seasonic or higher end Antec power supplies, you could read up on some reviews, but you shouldn't get really cheap power supplies as they can break and possibly damage other components. And the power supply should be 80+ certified, as most of them are these days. For motherboard, if you don't need PCI-e 4.0, i recommend the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max.

You'd only need CPUs for diagnosing if you have issues with your GPU, or you don't have signal on your monitor for example. AMD does not make higher end CPUs with integrated graphics. You can connect multiple monitors to the GPU perfectly fine. The only "issue" is the higher power consumption of dedicated GPUs as they are quite a bit more powerful.

Installing games on a HDD will not decrease performance as in framerate, it will load slower though, but for games like GTA 5, and Assassin's Creed it shouldn't be an issue.

120Hz is a lot smoother than 60Hz because it displays twice the frames in 1 second. You can feel 100 fps on a 60Hz monitor, but it's just less input lag than 60 fps from my experience. If you have the budget I'd recommend getting a 120 or 144Hz monitor because it's a lot smoother in general, but before you do that, go into a store and try it out, there are some people that don't see too big of a difference between those refresh rates and it seems like a waste of money if that's the case.

Any power supply that is more than 650W would be good but you should get a higher quality one, and preferably 750W, due to being able to upgrade your PC or just move it from system to system.

Reactions: ram subu
Unless severely budget limited (i.e., no GPU budget at all), and /or perhaps playing older games or content with 720P play at very modest settings, the 2000/3000 series APU's are not exactly CPU or iGPU powerhouses, you'd be better served with a better GPU and even a GTX1650 or RX5500XT, and , a better CPU such as an R5-1600AF or even the R3-3300X, or, better yet, the R5-3600 which is an overwhelming favorite go-to these days....

As for greater than 60 Hz gaming, you'd certainly be rarerely worrying about ever attaining such framerates from an APU. (To display more than 60 Hz, you need a monitor and GPU capable of the higher refresh rate, but, far more important to the gaming experience is to have enough GPU and CPU to not be dipping into the 20-sub-60 fps range. (I play BF1 on a 60 Hz TV, at 1080P, and, I can not complain at all, but, I certainly do not detect any stuttering/flickery gameplay....ever)

Most decent quality brand name PSUs in the 600-650 watt range are more than enough for 95% of most folks.

As for SSDs, I'd just get a 1 TB SSD if possible (even 1 TB NVME M.2 drives are reasonably priced when on sale), skipping spinning drives except for backup images unless you intend a HUGE array of installed games/ inventory or have bulk video storage needs....

Reactions: ram subu
Solution

ram subu

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Hi Experts,

I am new to PC Build and live in India. I have few questions around it. I am not in a hurry and also I can wait for 6-8 months, if there is any new component that’s planned to be released in the near future. Please guide me with the below questions.

My Budget:
Only PC
- INR (approx. 75000rs). In US Dollar its $1000.
Monitor – INR (30000). In US Dollar its $400.

My Purpose:
  • System should boot fast and should be smooth enough to handle daily activities like Microsoft Word, PPT, Excel, Copying files, Web browsing etc.
  • I need to connect my PC with at least 2 monitors (1 Primary and another screen for multi-tasking-can be laptop screen as well).
  • I want to play games like Far Cry 5, GTA 5, Battlefield 3, Assassin's creed and any other games similar to that. (I am not a pro gamer or regular player).
  • I do not do any video editing works.
Specs I think that I might need:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: GTX 1660 Super or GTX 1660Ti or RTX 2060 or AMD RX 5700 (Not sure which one to pick)
  • RAM: 8+8GB DDR4 or 16+16GB DDR4 (Not sure if 8+8 is sufficient for my use)
  • SSD: 250GB SATA SSD or 250GB M.2 NVME (Not sure which one to pick)
  • HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm SATA3 (I might add another 1TB later)
  • Motherboard: ATX. It would be great if it has a built in Wifi/Bluetooth. Should contain all required ports based on my purpose. Should be capable for upgrading at later stage. (Not sure if I need to look at some other specs).
  • Power Supply: 80 Plus PSU with 550W or more (Not sure if 550W is sufficient)
  • Case: Full ATX case with better cooling system. (Not sure if I need to look at some other specs).
  • Monitor: 1440p IPS panel with 120Hz/144Hz display, assuming the game will run at more than 70 FPS. (Not sure if Free-Sync monitor can be used with NVIDIA GPU). I prefer Free-SYNC monitor as it’s cheap.
Please guide me on the above specs where I mentioned “Not sure

Other questions I have:
  • Can I connect my PC with multiple monitors as I am not using an integrated graphics card?
  • If I pick any of the GPU that I mentioned above, can I use it for another 5-6 years at least?
  • I know that only G-Sync/Free-sync are the only options available to get a smooth gameplay if my FPS and refresh rates are not same. Considering this, can I buy a Free-sync monitor with NVIDIA GPU? What is the best monitor you would recommend? What all ports I need in a monitor?
  • Do i need a separate cooling fan or the one comes with case is sufficient ?
Thanks for your response!!
Thanks
Subbu

Most freesync monitors now support gsync aswell.

Done a very quick build to give you an idea. There is an issue and that issue is that your budget honestly doesn't allow for a GPU that will really push a 1440p screen past 70-80fps on AAA titles.

The 1660 super is decent, will manage 1440p but only just really at 60htz refresh rates.

However given the budget that's literally the best I could come up with.
Stuck to amazon India completely because its probably the best/easiest place to buy.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (₹17384.00 @ Amazon India)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (₹8350.00 @ Amazon India)
Memory: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (₹8699.00 @ Amazon India)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (₹4379.00 @ Amazon India)
Storage: Toshiba P300 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (₹5550.00 @ Amazon India)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Twin Fan Video Card (₹22999.00 @ Amazon India)
Case: Deepcool KENDOMEN ATX Mid Tower Case (₹5000.00 @ Amazon India)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (₹6849.00 @ Amazon India)
Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (₹36300.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹115510.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-25 15:24 IST+0530

ram subu

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
If
The 1660 super is decent, will manage 1440p but only just really at 60htz refresh rates.
If 1660 super plays 1440p at around 60FPS, then can i reconsider buying a monitor with 144Hz 1080p 27 inch Freesync IPS panel ? So that i can save some money here.
Do i really feel the advantage of gaming at 1440p than 1080p ? or is it worth spending money for 144Hz 1440p 27 inch Freesync IPS panel ?

If

If 1660 super plays 1440p at around 60FPS, then can i reconsider buying a monitor with 144Hz 1080p 27 inch Freesync IPS panel ? So that i can save some money here.
Do i really feel the advantage of gaming at 1440p than 1080p ? or is it worth spending money for 144Hz 1440p 27 inch Freesync IPS panel ?

If you're happy with a 24 inch monitor then absutely go with a 1080p 144htz screen, at that screen size you won't benefit from the extra resolution.

The 1660 super and ryzen combo will perform well at that monitor spec.