Mar 4, 2023
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread.
Hello hardware community, I recently built a couple PC’s a couple weeks back and 2 of them with the same case are having the same issue.

Both PC’s do not boot/black screen, and only start with a screwdriver not power button. What do i do? Most components are a little used or brand new and most likely not defective.

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 5500
G SKILL RIPJAWS 16 GB RAM
GIGABYTE AUROUS PRO ELITE X570
WESTERN BLUE 500 GB SSD
EVGA RTX 3070
EVGA 650 SUPERNOVA
PHANTEKS G360-A

Hello hardware community, I recently built a couple PC’s a couple weeks back and 2 of them with the same case are having the same issue.

Both PC’s do not boot/black screen, and only start with a screwdriver not power button. What do i do? Most components are a little used or brand new and most likely not defective.

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 5500
WESTERN BLUE 500 GB SSD
EVGA RTX 3070
EVGA 650 SUPERNOVA
PHANTEKS G360-A
Sounds like the power button is faulty on the case design and a new case is needed

Mar 4, 2023
Sounds like the power button is faulty on the case design and a new case is needed
Possibly I don’t know, but fans turn on, cpu fan, gpu fans, and rgb lights turn on when jump started so wouldn’t that still make the PC boot?

All I get is a black screen, haven’t even been able to boot to bios.

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
What should i do I really need help?
Ok so let's back up a few steps

LED lights and fans spinning do not represent a good POST/boot. They indicate an attempt to POST (Power On Self Test). Your PC is failing that test. We want to figure out why.

Do you have the POST speaker attached to the motherboard? Do any motherboard LEDs come on or do you hear any sounds from the motherboard when you try to turn it on?

Have you confirmed that Mobo will support that CPU with that BIOS revision? The 5500 came out late and may require a BIOS update on your MB.

The case is a different issue altogether and we wanna focus on the core first. You may find it easier to remove the system from the Case while troubleshooting

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023

LED lights and fans spinning do not represent a good PPST/boot. They indicate an attempt to POST (Power On Self Test). Your PC is failing that test. We want to figure out why.

Do you heve the POST speaker attached to the motherboard? Do any LEDs come on out do you hear any sounds from he motherboard when you try to turn it on?

Have you confirmed that Mobo will support that CPU with that BIOS revision? The 5500 came out late and may require a BIOS update on your MB.

The case is a different issue altogether and we wanna focus on the core first. You may find it easier to remove the system from the Case while troubleshooting
The motherboard does support the CPU, as well as latest bios version.

And I don’t know if the post speaker is there, or it makes any sounds. I will try when I get home to see.

Mar 4, 2023

LED lights and fans spinning do not represent a good POST/boot. They indicate an attempt to POST (Power On Self Test). Your PC is failing that test. We want to figure out why.

Do you have the POST speaker attached to the motherboard? Do any motherboard LEDs come on or do you hear any sounds from the motherboard when you try to turn it on?

There is no sound coming when I turn it on. What should i do next?

Mar 4, 2023

Both PC’s do not boot/black screen, and only start with a screwdriver not power button. What do i do? Most components are a little used or brand new and most likely not defective. No motherboard sound either.

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 5500
WESTERN BLUE 500 GB SSD
EVGA RTX 3070
EVGA 650 SUPERNOVA
PHANTEKS G360-A

Just to be clear, when you start them using a screwdriver, they actually run fine? If so, then the problem is either with the power switch or how you've connected the wires to the motherboard, and given both cases are the same, I'm thinking you've connected the wrong wires or they're not connected correctly.

If you're absolutely sure you've connected everything correctly, then there would have to be an issue with those 2 cases.

Reactions: white.a.drew

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023

Both PC’s do not boot/black screen, and only start with a screwdriver not power button. What do i do? Most components are a little used or brand new and most likely not defective. No motherboard sound either.

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 5500
WESTERN BLUE 500 GB SSD
EVGA RTX 3070
EVGA 650 SUPERNOVA
PHANTEKS G360-A
I'd guess that you've not connected the power on/off switch to the proper connections on the motherboard. The fact that you have two with the same symptoms, would point to this. The PS_ON signal on the 24pin ATX connector must go to common when the power button is pressed. You'll need a voltmeter to check it and the pinouts for the connector, which you can find online. You can check it with the voltmeter on DC volts as you press the power button, or with the AC power cord disconnected, you can use the ohmeter function. The pin would read ~0 ohms with the button pressed and a significantly higher value when it's not being pressed. I see this in the motherboard manual: "
PW (Power Switch):
Connects to the power switch on the chassis front panel. You may configure the way to turn off your system using the power switch (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Settings\Platform Power," for more information)."
So maybe it's a BIOS setting that's causing this."
DaleH

Reactions: white.a.drew