DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi!
So I've had this issue intermittently, but increasingly frequently, over the last week or two. The whole display appears to flicker, sporadically, sometimes a few seconds and sometimes minutes apart. Additionally, everything has been rather slow, but that's been more or less the case since two years in. My setup is a Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard 990fxa-ud3 with (2x8GB) DDR3, an RX 480 8GB, a (now four year old) FX-8350, and plenty of power to spare. I was previously running Windows 7. I have five drives: a 250GB SSD for C:, a 4TB HDD (F:) which was practically full of music and videos, and three other 1TB HDDs with programs and games.

First checked heat and stress. Temps were fine, but the CPU was spiking in four or more cores every time it flickered. I reinstalled my graphics drivers. During the reboot, the screen flickered once or twice. So then I upgraded to Windows 10, very shiny but it still flickers. I moved some stuff off F:, issue persists.

It's definitely not the cable or connection between my monitor and graphics card, because I've swapped those around. It may be the monitor, but I've had this monitor for 4 months, largely without issue.

I have no problem upgrading, and would honestly like to with all the deals right now, but I'd rather know if I have to buy a new mobo and CPU, or my GPU is failing, or if a RAM stick just bit the dust. Any and all help is immensely appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
PSU should be okay and is actually overkill for your rig, but not likely an issue.

Do you have access to another GPU? Easy way to isolate the issue would be to swap GPUs for testing.

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi!
So I've had this issue intermittently, but increasingly frequently, over the last week or two. The whole display appears to flicker, sporadically, sometimes a few seconds and sometimes minutes apart. When there's something in the foreground, it shows the background for a split second. Additionally, everything has been rather slow, but that's been more or less the case since two years in. My setup is a Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard 990fxa-ud3 with (2x8GB) DDR3, an RX 480 8GB, a (now four year old) FX-8350, and plenty of power to spare. I was previously running Windows 7. I have five drives: a 250GB SSD for C:, a 4TB HDD (F:) which was practically full of music and videos, and three other 1TB HDDs with programs and games.

First checked heat and stress. Temps were fine, but the CPU was spiking in four or more cores every time it flickered. I reinstalled my graphics drivers. During the reboot, the screen flickered once or twice. So then I upgraded to Windows 10, very shiny but it still flickers. I moved some stuff off F:, issue persists. The only place where it isn't a problem is in BIOS. It's definitely not the cable or connection between my monitor and graphics card, because I've swapped those around. It may be the monitor, but I've had this monitor for 4 months, largely without issue.

I have no problem upgrading, and would honestly like to with all the deals right now, but I'd rather know if I have to buy a new mobo and CPU, or my GPU is failing, or if a RAM stick just bit the dust. Any and all help is immensely appreciated.

DragonGunner

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
PSU should be okay and is actually overkill for your rig, but not likely an issue.

Do you have access to another GPU? Easy way to isolate the issue would be to swap GPUs for testing.
Okay I have this old msi r9 270x that I plugged in, which is also 4-5 years old years old and spent half that in an esd bag. Boots fine, fan is running, I'll update in an hour.

TRENDING THREADS