Question [Solved] Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite v2: PC won't start with case fans plugged in

Aug 5, 2021
Hello,
I just assembled my PC and everything works fine. It boots into my old Windows installation.But when I plug my case fans into SYS FAN on the motherboard the PC won't start. No reaction whatsoever. When I pull it out it works, except I have to press the power button twice the first time for some reason.

I tried both fans individually on multiple SYS Fan headers but same result everytime. The fans that come with my case have 3 pins, the mobo has 4 pins but I read it should work anyway. I use the fans that came with the case.

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite v2
CPU: Ryzen 5600x

Is my mobo faulty, or the fans or did I do something wrong, although I don't know what I possibly could have done wrong connecting the fans.

Can anyone with the same configuration at least confirm that it should work/shouldn't work?

Aug 5, 2021
Is the bios updated yet to the latest one? Try to update it and see if it works.

Also try to replug all the cables to the motherboard

I didn't update the bios yet because it already came Ryzen 5XXX ready (v10). I would assume that a basic feature like this doesn't need an update but it's worth a try. Thanks.

If that doesn't work I'll have to contact the Gigabyte support I guess.

Aug 5, 2021
If anyone who has the same problem reads this in the future:

What worked for me was switching the fan mode of the sys fans from 'auto' to 'voltage' in the bios. I also had to press the power button twice again the first time.

And before that it worked fine with PWM fans just not with 3 pin fans.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS