Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Bought an NVME M.2 SSD to put in my motherboard so I can load my OS onto it and use my HDD for files so that it'll take less time to boot my computer up.
What are the steps I need to go through in order to have Win 10 boot on my SSD instead of my HDD?
Not trying to delete any files but instead move my OS onto my SSD.

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
For the NVME , it's best to backup what you need and perform a clean install of 10. Only have the NVME attached when installing windows.
I understand and if I was doing a new build, I would totally do that. I cannot do that unfortunately because of how many files are on my system and how many programs I have downloaded. That would take too much time. There must be a way to transfer ONLY Windows 10 to my NVME M.2 SSD right?
Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
I understand and if I was doing a new build, I would totally do that. I cannot do that unfortunately because of how many files are on my system and how many programs I have downloaded. That would take too much time. There must be a way to transfer ONLY Windows 10 to my NVME M.2 SSD right?
Thank you.
"Only Windows"?
Not a chance, no way, no how.

What size/make/model is the new SSD, and how much space is consumed on your current drive?

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
"Only Windows"?
Not a chance, no way, no how.

What size/make/model is the new SSD, and how much space is consumed on your current drive?
It's a WD Black SN750 250GB NVME M.2 SSD and currently, I have 170 GB Free of 930 GB on a 1 TB hard drive. The things taking up the most space on my hard drive is the amount of games.

USAFRet

Titan
It's a WD Black SN750 250GB NVME M.2 SSD and currently, I have 170 GB Free of 930 GB on a 1 TB hard drive. The things taking up the most space on my hard drive is the amount of games.
So, ~650GB consumed.

Obviously, that won't migrate into a 250GB SSD.
And you absolutely can't split off 'only the OS'.

Time for a clean install of the OS and applications on the SSD.
If these are Steam games, you can probably tell the new Steam client where those games live on the old drive. No reinstall needed.

But I reiterate...there is no function or application that will migrate 'only the OS' to a different drive.

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
So, ~650GB consumed.

Obviously, that won't migrate into a 250GB SSD.
And you absolutely can't split off 'only the OS'.

Time for a clean install of the OS and applications on the SSD.
If these are Steam games, you can probably tell the new Steam client where those games live on the old drive. No reinstall needed.

But I reiterate...there is no function or application that will migrate 'only the OS' to a different drive.
As annoying and time consuming it will be I'll just have to. Thanks for your help though! How can I reinstall Windows on the SSD and wipe the hard drive? I have a few questions. If I reinstall Windows on the SSD and wipe the hard drive, will my drivers be gone too?

USAFRet

Titan
The new install on the SSD will also require reinstallation of your drivers.
And all your other applications.

To install, disconnect ALL drives except the SSD.

Later, reconnect the old HDD and wipe it clean.
Proceed on as desired.

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
The new install on the SSD will also require reinstallation of your drivers.
And all your other applications.

To install, disconnect ALL drives except the SSD.

Later, reconnect the old HDD and wipe it clean.
Proceed on as desired.
When I built my computer, I bought the 3600x which is the new series of Ryzen cpus which require you to flash your bios with the driver required for it to perform correctly and boot up. Once I connect the ssd and remove the hard drive, I'll have to take my cpu out then everything else right? I'll then have to flash the bios again and reinstall the operating system and put in all the cables and the cpu. is that right or will I just have to install windows 10 again on the ssd without having to flash the bios again?

Sinxph

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
No, the BIOS should be fine. That does not change with a new OS install.
Phew. Thank god! I really didn't want to have to go through that process again haha. Thanks so much! You've helped me. Once I get the SSD and I try to go through it I'll let you know how it goes and if I need anymore help.