Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Hey everyone.

It's been almost 5 years since I last posted a thread, and the reason to that is because I was still satisfied with my pc.

Even if it was low end, I could play and do whatever I want, to an extent of course.

It's sad to say but, my pc is getting a bit obsolete (in my opinion) so I'm planning to buy a new one, but not exactly the most recent components.

Brace yourselves, for here are my specs :

i3 4150
Biostar H81mvh3 mobo
8gb ddr3
1tb hdd
Some psu idk anymore
GTX 750 2gb (non ti)

It's been obsolete for a while now, no? Don't judge me, as I am not rich enough to buy a decent computer.

But for what I do, it works, and you can't take that away from me.

So recently, I've been browsing around, trying to get back in to the market since I haven't been active in it for quite a while.

I am now lost when it comes to what works with a budget in today's market of hardware and triple A games.

So far, this is what I'm planning to get :

i5 7500/8500
16gb DDR4
GTX 1650/1660/1050 ti/1060
A mobo that supports m.2 for the 7th or 8th gen intel processors' socket
Probably a good branded 800w psu

I need your guys' input here. I don't have a clear budget right now, but for everyone wondering, around where I'm from the price range for an i5 7500/8500 + h310 board is around 100-150 USD.

That excludes the ram/gpu/psu/etc

Anyone have better suggestions on what I should get? All answers are appreciated, but please do not judge me nor make fun of my "poverty"

All the best, cheers.

Solution
Idk if what I'm abt to do is legal.

Technically this is already I think supposed to be a closed thread but since there's a reply option, I'll go ahead and give an update about my new system.

So I came from these specs which I bought around 2017 :

i3-4150
Biostar H81mvh3
2x4gb low profile Kingston 1333mhz
Palit GTX 750 2gb non ti
Aza 450w tru rated PSU
320gb WD Green HDD

My post was dated on the 8th of July, almost a month ago.

Within 25 days of benchmarking prices of hardware in my locale, with very little money spent, these are the specs I've decided to stay with for a while :

i5-4690
Gigabyte GA-H97m-D3H
2x8gb Kingston Hyperx White 1600mhz ddr3
2x4gb Gskill Ripjaws 1600mhz ddr3
Zotac GTX 1060 3gb
500gb WD Green HDD
500gb WD...

Lutfij

Titan
Brand wise, look for Seasonic, if you can afford it, otherwise Corsair's aren't bad, just stay away from their CV units. DDR4-3200MHz if you can pick up a K suffix processor and a Z series chipset. Z 170 or Z270 will do. If you want to stick to the non k suffix processor, you can work with a B150 chipset or B250 chipsetted board, and air that with DDR4-2400MHz rams. If you want that higher frequency from your rams, I'd suggest that Z series chipset.

No to the H310 board, mind you. In fact for the amount of money you're spending, you could just as easily pick out a brand new platform with concurrent parts.

FYI, if you plan to recycle the PSU from your older build, please be aware that we're going to need to know it's make and model...and ofc, we know it's 5 years old.

Hey everyone.

It's been almost 5 years since I last posted a thread, and the reason to that is because I was still satisfied with my pc.

Even if it was low end, I could play and do whatever I want, to an extent of course.

It's sad to say but, my pc is getting a bit obsolete (in my opinion) so I'm planning to buy a new one, but not exactly the most recent components.

Brace yourselves, for here are my specs :

i3 4150
Biostar H81mvh3 mobo
8gb ddr3
1tb hdd
Some psu idk anymore
GTX 750 2gb (non ti)

It's been obsolete for a while now, no? Don't judge me, as I am not rich enough to buy a decent computer.

But for what I do, it works, and you can't take that away from me.

So recently, I've been browsing around, trying to get back in to the market since I haven't been active in it for quite a while.

I am now lost when it comes to what works with a budget in today's market of hardware and triple A games.

So far, this is what I'm planning to get :

i5 7500/8500
16gb DDR4
GTX 1650/1660/1050 ti/1060
A mobo that supports m.2 for the 7th or 8th gen intel processors' socket
Probably a good branded 800w psu

I need your guys' input here. I don't have a clear budget right now, but for everyone wondering, around where I'm from the price range for an i5 7500/8500 + h310 board is around 100-150 USD.

That excludes the ram/gpu/psu/etc

Anyone have better suggestions on what I should get? All answers are appreciated, but please do not judge me nor make fun of my "poverty"

All the best, cheers.
I prefer you to get an i3 10100F/10105F + B560/B560M Motherboard, 2x8gb ddr4 any speed

For GPU it depends on your place, if you could, opt for gtx 1650 super instead of 1660,or 1050ti for the cheapest option

Also for the psu it doesn't have to be 800W unless you're planning onto a high end motherboard, cpu, and gpu. Mostly a good 650w is pretty much enough.

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Brand wise, look for Seasonic, if you can afford it, otherwise Corsair's aren't bad, just stay away from their CV units. DDR4-3200MHz if you can pick up a K suffix processor and a Z series chipset. Z 170 or Z270 will do. If you want to stick to the non k suffix processor, you can work with a B150 chipset or B250 chipsetted board, and air that with DDR4-2400MHz rams. If you want that higher frequency from your rams, I'd suggest that Z series chipset.

No to the H310 board, mind you. In fact for the amount of money you're spending, you could just as easily pick out a brand new platform with concurrent parts.

FYI, if you plan to recycle the PSU from your older build, please be aware that we're going to need to know it's make and model...and ofc, we know it's 5 years old.

So in general, you mean to say that I should get a socket 1151 cpu, correct?

Seems that instead of getting an h310 board, I'm gonna opt for the b150/b250 boards. I might have to pass up on the Z boards as I don't see any necessity for me to choose that over b150/250.

For the PSU, there is no way I'm reusing this old one. What models of Seasonic/Corsair do you prefer in this kind of mid range PCs?

EDIT : So upon searching on google, Intel's 6th gen up to 9th gen all use socket 1151. Any preference also for a mid gaming cpu that won't bottleneck a preferred gpu or vice versa? Thanks for all the help

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
I prefer you to get an i3 10100F/10105F + B560/B560M Motherboard, 2x8gb ddr4 any speed

For GPU it depends on your place, if you could, opt for gtx 1650 super instead of 1660,or 1050ti for the cheapest option

Also for the psu it doesn't have to be 800W unless you're planning onto a high end motherboard, cpu, and gpu. Mostly a good 650w is pretty much enough.

Please enlighten me on the advantages of using the 10th gen i3 over 7-8th gen i5's, as I still only have a vague idea that i5's are better than i3's. Man I should do some research....

Hmm your opinion on the GPUs are going to be taken into consideration when I decide to choose what to purchase.

For PSUs, I haven't got a clue on what make/model has a good 600-700w range nowadays. I actually prefer modular ones since I like keeping a clean look on my rig. Although I haven't decided what case to use yet :LOL:

I'm probably gonna have more questions about AIO cooling systems also, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

As for the rams, again, I have homework to do about those...

Please enlighten me on the advantages of using the 10th gen i3 over 7-8th gen i5's, as I still only have a vague idea that i5's are better than i3's. Man I should do some research....

Hmm your opinion on the GPUs are going to be taken into consideration when I decide to choose what to purchase.

For PSUs, I haven't got a clue on what make/model has a good 600-700w range nowadays. I actually prefer modular ones since I like keeping a clean look on my rig. Although I haven't decided what case to use yet :LOL:

I'm probably gonna have more questions about AIO cooling systems also, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

As for the rams, again, I have homework to do about those...
Both i3 10100F/10105F are the best cpu for the budget, it got 4 Cores and 8 Thread, competing/having the most same with i7 6700/7700 at lower price.

But they dont have internal gpu, since you use dedicated gpu it will be fine and increases cost efficiency.

Also B560 chipset, for future proofing, you could overclock your memory, in both locked cpu, which also some benefit.

For cooling, i think a good Heatsink Tower cooler would be more than enough for cooling, for example i use cheap Deepcool Gammaxx 400S and it perform real great. If you have more money to spend, opt for Noctua NH U12S or U12S redux.

For PSU, Corsair RM650/RM650X are great, Seasonic Focus Gold is also great, Cougar GX-F are also ok but theyre kinda bit noisy under 20%+ load.

Also where do you live, and how much budget are you willing to spend? Which parts are you willing to reuse?

i5 7500/8500
Note that the i5-7500 is a 4-core 4-thread CPU. While the i5-8500 is a 6-core 6-thread CPU. Intel has done a poor job maintaining consistency as to what i3, i5, i7, i9 actually mean. You pretty much have to look up each individual CPU model to verify its specs. Other than that and minor cache and clock differences, they're the same. Both based on the Skylake architecture.

(AMD isn't much better. Their mobile Ryzen 3xxx are Zen, while their desktop Ryzen 3xxx are Zen 2. Their mobile Ryzen 4xxx were Zen 2, and Ryzen 5xxx are Zen 3, except for three 5xxx models which are Zen 2.)

Reactions: Charseza

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Both i3 10100F/10105F are the best cpu for the budget, it got 4 Cores and 8 Thread, competing/having the most same with i7 6700/7700 at lower price.

But they dont have internal gpu, since you use dedicated gpu it will be fine and increases cost efficiency.

Also B560 chipset, for future proofing, you could overclock your memory, in both locked cpu, which also some benefit.

For cooling, i think a good Heatsink Tower cooler would be more than enough for cooling, for example i use cheap Deepcool Gammaxx 400S and it perform real great. If you have more money to spend, opt for Noctua NH U12S or U12S redux.

For PSU, Corsair RM650/RM650X are great, Seasonic Focus Gold is also great, Cougar GX-F are also ok but theyre kinda bit noisy under 20%+ load.

Also where do you live, and how much budget are you willing to spend? Which parts are you willing to reuse?
I don't mind the noise from PSUs, but I will bear those in mind upon deciding what to buy.

I never would have thought the i3 10100F is quad core. Thanks for pointing that out. I found some in the local online market for around 100-120 USD. Seems fine for its price range. The only thing is, socket 1200 boards are kinda pricey as hell :eek:

Any suggestions in the socket 1151 range?

I'll prolly stick with oem intel cpu cooler temporarily since I don't usually put heavy loads on my pc not unless I'm gaming so I think it'll work fine but if I get the chance to upgrade, I'll look for the Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Can you cite the main difference with just the 400 and the 400s?

Also on a side note, I don't overclock my hardware in fear of breaking them so I might just sit pretty in their base clocks :LOL:

EDIT : I'm not planning to reuse anything. I'm using a deepcool ice edge mini, if that fits the socket 1151, that's the only thing i'm willing to reuse. I'm in the Philippines.

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Note that the i5-7500 is a 4-core 4-thread CPU. While the i5-8500 is a 6-core 6-thread CPU. Intel has done a poor job maintaining consistency as to what i3, i5, i7, i9 actually mean. You pretty much have to look up each individual CPU model to verify its specs. Other than that and minor cache and clock differences, they're the same. Both based on the Skylake architecture.

(AMD isn't much better. Their mobile Ryzen 3xxx are Zen, while their desktop Ryzen 3xxx are Zen 2. Their mobile Ryzen 4xxx were Zen 2, and Ryzen 5xxx are Zen 3, except for three 5xxx models which are Zen 2.)
I completely agree. Prior to you mentioning that the i5 8500 was 6 core, I just saw it had 6 cores. Any idea how their 6 core cpus work against previous 4 core cpus? Is the performance worth the buy?

Honestly speaking, I don't mind having a quad core cpu, as I don't really do much. But having a 6 core cpu would be kinda cool though....

I don't mind the noise from PSUs, but I will bear those in mind upon deciding what to buy.

I never would have thought the i3 10100F is quad core. Thanks for pointing that out. I found some in the local online market for around 100-120 USD. Seems fine for its price range. The only thing is, socket 1200 boards are kinda pricey as hell :eek:

Any suggestions in the socket 1151 range?

I'll prolly stick with oem intel cpu cooler temporarily since I don't usually put heavy loads on my pc not unless I'm gaming so I think it'll work fine but if I get the chance to upgrade, I'll look for the Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Can you cite the main difference with just the 400 and the 400s?

Also on a side note, I don't overclock my hardware in fear of breaking them so I might just sit pretty in their base clocks :LOL:

EDIT : I'm not planning to reuse anything. I'm using a deepcool ice edge mini, if that fits the socket 1151, that's the only thing i'm willing to reuse. I'm in the Philippines.
is lga 1200 expensive there? 10100f/10105f + H410 would be still the best budget combo compared to any lga 1151.

Gammaxx 400S is the slower and quiet version of 400, well it still perform the same tho..

I completely agree. Prior to you mentioning that the i5 8500 was 6 core, I just saw it had 6 cores. Any idea how their 6 core cpus work against previous 4 core cpus? Is the performance worth the buy?

Honestly speaking, I don't mind having a quad core cpu, as I don't really do much. But having a 6 core cpu would be kinda cool though....
its not always about quad or hexa cores etc etc, but the benefit of hyperthreaded cores is much better than having none, like what i said both i3 that i mentioned competed real good with 7700/6700, you could check youtube for comparissions, therefore you could get better performance with the benefit of squeezed budget instead going to any lga 1151 cpus that is not worth it except for i7 6th to 8th gen and i9 9th gen.

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
its not always about quad or hexa cores etc etc, but the benefit of hyperthreaded cores is much better than having none, like what i said both i3 that i mentioned competed real good with 7700/6700, you could check youtube for comparissions, therefore you could get better performance with the benefit of squeezed budget instead going to any lga 1151 cpus that is not worth it except for i7 6th to 8th gen and i9 9th gen.
Well since you put it that way, I kinda can make sense of what you said. I might opt for a 10100. Btw, about my hsf, the ice edge mini, does it fit the 1200 socket? I like to believe yes but out of context I think it does not.

EDIT : Yup, it doesn't fit it. Any suggestions for a good but cheap aftermarket cpu cooler?

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
yes it will fit, lga 115x coolers and 1200 coolers are intercompatible

well if you dont need the intergrated graphics, opt for 10100F instead.
Wait what??? That's great! I don't have to get a new cooler then lol.

Yup I don't use integrated intel graphics. Is the 10100F cheaper?

What's a good and cheap brand of Ram nowadays? And what frequency is good? :fearscream:

Wait what??? That's great! I don't have to get a new cooler then lol.

Yup I don't use integrated intel graphics. Is the 10100F cheaper?

What's a good and cheap brand of Ram nowadays? And what frequency is good? :fearscream:
well everything without intergrted graphics is much much cheaper. Also for ram, i dont really paying attention to ram speed since its intel cpus, they still work ok with slow ram, get those that fits your budget.

Dont buy any ram above 2666mhz, since using h410/b460 only maxxed the ram out to 2666mhz, or 2933mhz on i7s and i9 10th gen. Just dont waste it unless youu're using a minimum of B560 chipset motherboard.

@Koekieezz I found some bundles of the i3 10100F.

i3 10100F + H410 board is about $180 USD
i3 10100F + B460 is about $250 USD

Also there's this bundle for $200 USD, but idk the Ram brand "Xishuo" 2x4GB DDR4 2666Mhz
thats a sweet deal on the $180 USD ones, well im not an expert on Brand New item things, since usually i help my customer finding used parts instead for cpu mobo and ram, squeezing budget without sacrificing performance haha

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
well everything without intergrted graphics is much much cheaper. Also for ram, i dont really paying attention to ram speed since its intel cpus, they still work ok with slow ram, get those that fits your budget.

Dont buy any ram above 2666mhz, since using h410/b460 only maxxed the ram out to 2666mhz, or 2933mhz on i7s and i9 10th gen. Just dont waste it unless youu're using a minimum of B560 chipset motherboard.
Alright, noted on that with regards to the ram.

Any insights on the H410 vs B460? I'm looking into getting a mobo with a slot for m.2 since I want to switch to using non sata ssd. Correct me if I'm wrong but are they not called NVME m.2 ssd's?

Alright, noted on that with regards to the ram.

Any insights on the H410 vs B460? I'm looking into getting a mobo with a slot for m.2 since I want to switch to using non sata ssd. Correct me if I'm wrong but are they not called NVME m.2 ssd's?
not much, i personally dont prefer b460 since b560 dominates the chipset, H410 have a m.2 nvme ssd too, just find the ones that got the slot.

well you're correct, NVMe is the protocol, m.2 is the physical slot, so yeah m.2 ssd :D

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
not much, i personally dont prefer b460 since b560 dominates the chipset, H410 have a m.2 nvme ssd too, just find the ones that got the slot.

well you're correct, NVMe is the protocol, m.2 is the physical slot, so yeah m.2 ssd :D
I just found a sweet deal on i3 10100F + b460 for only $180 :D

But do you think I should get the b560 over the b460? Even if I'm only using an i3 10100F?

EDIT : @Koekieezz I found another deal for $200, an i5 10400 + B560 aorus pro ax

I just found a sweet deal on i3 10100F + b460 for only $180 :D

But do you think I should get the b560 over the b460? Even if I'm only using an i3 10100F?

EDIT : @Koekieezz I found another deal for $200, an i5 10400 + B560 aorus pro ax
OOO get those 10400 + b560, real sweet deal compared to the $180 ones XD

well yes i hardly prefer B560 motherboard since it could overclock/use XMP speed from the ram. A tad bit better is ok eh XD

Reactions: Charseza