SpaceFrontier

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
Hi all,

I've recently built a new PC with the help of the THW forum, my exact build can be viewed here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xz2zzY

Everything is seemingly working, the PC POSTed just fine and I'm able to enter the BIOS to see that the temps are cool etc. My issue is whenever I try and install Windows 10 from my USB, the blue Windows logo appears with a circular loading icon that spins maybe twice and then freezes, staying that way. I thought it may be the image on the USB (despite imaging 2 PCs with the same stick recently) so I reformatted it with FAT32 using a spare laptop and reinstalled the official ISO from Microsoft.net onto it yet I'm still having the same issue. Any advice? My PC is picking up the Windows 10 image so I don't think it's a hardware issue (although maybe it's a hardware issue with the USB stick itself?)

I've also tried unplugging all the drives but the one I wish to install on (the NVME M.2 listed in the Part Picker list) and selecting both the UEIF Partition and the USB partition on the USB during bootup selection. There is nothing on the drives as they are both brand new.

Edit(s) -
I've tried different USB ports to see if one was faulty or if my USB3 connector was dodgy. (Tried the direct MOBO ports too).

Have tried resetting BIOS defaults after messing around a bit but not really getting anywhere.

Tried using just 1 stick of RAM (tried both separately).

I'm using "MediaCreationTool1903".

Last edited:
Solution
have you got latest bios?

Just install intel-microcode with sudo apt-get install intel-microcode and reboot.

If it does not help, try to update your BIOS
https://askubuntu.com/questions/984...bled-due-to-errata-what-should-i-do-about-thi

Before i saw error I was going to suggest this:
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

SpaceFrontier

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
After some consideration, messing with the hardware and BIOs, and doing all the edits listed in my OP I've decided to just buy a new USB flash drive tomorrow and create a new image from scratch. My USB is a little old and I can't seem to find any fault in my PC hardware, and I find it hard to believe that after installing the ISO twice that this is going to be a software issue. The USB stick still works but may be faulty/slow when it comes to installing Win10. Will update the thread tomorrow, and I look forward to further suggestions.

SpaceFrontier

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
Some small progress, I created a Linux Mint USB installer and tried to boot into Linux to troubleshoot further, when I try I get the following error:

[0.000000] [Firmware Bug]: TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata; please update microcode to version: 0x52 (or later)

At least I now have an error to go off of rather than just a frozen screen, any idea what this could be and how I could resolve it?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Just install intel-microcode with sudo apt-get install intel-microcode and reboot.

If it does not help, try to update your BIOS
https://askubuntu.com/questions/984...bled-due-to-errata-what-should-i-do-about-thi

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Solution

SpaceFrontier

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015

Just came here to say I fixed the issue before I read this, but you're spot on this was the problem.

What I posted on another forum:
I FIXED IT!

Installing Linux gave me a "microcode" error... which got me suspicious on the BIOS/9th Gen compatibility... I checked my BIOS version which was P1.60... which is THIRTEEN versions out of date!!! The motherboard is only 2 weeks old!

I flashed to P4.10 and it W O R K E D!

Since you guessed it, despite not directly assisting me you may help others who read this so I'll mark you as the correct answer :>

TRENDING THREADS