Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2020
Hi there! First off, I'm really sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but I don't know what to do anymore.

Okay, so I had a windows 10 machine for a long time that used rufus to install, nothing wrong, but recently my motherboard died and I replaced with a new one, was a Gigabyte and I changed to an Asus.

The problem that my previous mobo had was a booting problem, it simple don't boot anything even the bios.

After I change my mobo I had everything working again (the mobo start), but then surprise! Windows 10 don't boot because I did "hardware changes".

I searched a lot and discovered that was a secure boot problem, from what I remember I installed with the default settings, in bios, so basically secure boot probably was on.

According to my research Windows will stay "linked" to the hardware and any major change, like mobo, will make the windows not bootable.

So, basically what I did was make another USB drive with an ISO from windows 10 using rufus like before.

The problem is that every single time that I boot from my USB drive I get a blue screen saying that "the digital signature couldn't be verified", I have this problem even with secure boot off.

When I try boot from the USB drive with no "uefi" label, what I think that is the same as booting in legacy mode I get this message in a black sceeen: "the file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum." And yeah I maked another USB drive using the MBR config.

The funny thing is that I can boot Linux systems, but every windows like 7, 8.1 and 10 simply give me these screens, like the "digital signature" for uefi and "file corrupt" for non Uefi and if I try boot in uefi using the MBR config I get the blue screen with the "digital signature" message.

This is happening to every image of windows.

So basically, I have to change every piece of hardware because they are "linked" to my previous windows or it is bug in rufus? What I doubt.

I tried 2 different USB drives in different USB ports.

Again sorry tif isn't the right place and sorry for the long message, but I don't know what to do anymore. I work with PC for years and never seen something like this before. Even when I had a windows 7 and changed my mobo I don't had this problem, I just don't understand...

Here is a pic of the "digital signature" screen: View: https://m.imgur.com/a/vNm9OZM

My mobo is a brand new Asus H87M-K.

Please help me...

RealBeast

Titan
It sounds like you used an NTFS format on Rufus, which is incompatible with secure boot as it is not a signed driver. Use FAT32 instead and you can use secure boot.

Disable fast boot and the compatibility mode and use Windows 10 and secure boot -- worked fine on my ASUS, although to do it using an NVMe drive I could not use the latest bios but had to go back a couple for some odd reason.

Apr 11, 2020
Don't use Rufus, not needed for W10. Format USB to Fat32, download and mount W10 ISO and copy it's contents to USB (not whole ISO, just it's contents). Make sure UEFI is enabled in BIOS.

Even being not needed work for all people that use. Just doesn't make sense why only in mine is not working.

About mounting the ISO I can't do this, I'm using a very bad notebook to make the USB drive and the only thing that work is rufus, also I can boot in any PC, but not in mine why?

Apr 11, 2020
The problem was solved! In end I discovered by myself, I used the same "bad USB drive" in another PC and works. The problem was my CPU, I discovery by changing to a new one and keep all old things and worked.

I still don't understand how a bad CPU will give this, but at least other people will have a solution if they face this problem, it is hardware problem, basically.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
That's really odd in the core, actually. No, carrying an installation might fail because drivers usually aren't fitting, Windows being tied is about activation and won't interfere with the boot at all. Let alone, you only changed motherboard, which drivers being unfit isn't a thing. That happens only when you carry an harddrive to a whole another PC. So, actually glad that it was such an exotic error. Could have explained through a ton of low-level mechanics, most basically an incompatible CPU, to most confusing that the CPU microcode being tampered by some bizarre thing. Glad you pointed it out.

Apr 11, 2020
That's really odd in the core, actually. No, carrying an installation might fail because drivers usually aren't fitting, Windows being tied is about activation and won't interfere with the boot at all. Let alone, you only changed motherboard, which drivers being unfit isn't a thing. That happens only when you carry an harddrive to a whole another PC. So, actually glad that it was such an exotic error. Could have explained through a ton of low-level mechanics, most basically an incompatible CPU, to most confusing that the CPU microcode being tampered by some bizarre thing. Glad you pointed it out.

I still don't understand why this screen for a hardware problem, specially the CPU. Also, to make things even more bizarre I could access the BIOS without any problem AND boot Linux, yeah it crashed after some minutes, but still the boot occured.

During my research I managed to figure out exactly what you said, a HDD problem, not a hardware problem, but just a boot problem that could be solved using a CD/flash drive to do a clean install. Every single solution pointed to the same path, some random guy could not boot due a "hardware change", then he just put a windows media, go to the advanced options and disabled the driver signature verification, in other cases just a clean install.

What really bothered me was guy from reddit that had this problem and in the end was a RAM, the same screen for a RAM problem, after that I decided to go for the hardware path.

I still don't understand what driver signature, CPU and windows media have in common lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.