Jul 28, 2022
My gpu Zotac Rtx 2060 6gb GDDR6 is making weird fan noise (buzzing, clicking and some sort of crunchy noises) it is also giving off some weird plastic smell while both idle and and during gaming (it also gave some burning smell a few days ago), the fans rpm doesn't go beyond 400 while both idle and gaming (Gpu-z shows fans were on 400 rpm while fans were running on 100%) and casuing overheat upto 87 to 89C (the hotspot on Gpu-z shows more than 100C) which in turn cause constant fps drop making open world games unplayable (it just gets 87c in 5 minutes in any open world game).
What i have tried is:
  • updating drivers (used ddu and then tried both old and new drivers but didn't make a difference)
  • Oiling fans
  • replacing thermal paste
  • used Afterburner and Firestorm to change fans speed (but they were still showing 300 or 400 rpm on 100%)
None of these solutions made a change.

The problem came out of nowhere, before this i have never opened my gpu or touched vbios because there was no need)

Gpu: Zotac Rtx 2060 6gb GDDR6
Cpu: i7 4th gen
16gb ram
1tb hdd and 120 ssd (windows in ssd)

Before the problem arrived I have played tons of open world games on this gpu for hours but this problem never occurred before.

What iam considering to do is replace gpu fans,
My fans are 90mm and what i have available to buy in my country is Zotac rtx 2060 AMP fans (90mm).
My gpu is not AMP, therefore will the AMP fans work on my gpu as well? because they look the same, have same size and have same screws points.
Will the fans work on my gpu as well?

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand your description of the problems the PSU is a likely suspect.

More information needed:

Make and model motherboard?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming - correct?>

Disk drive(s): make and model, capacity, how full? 120 GB is likely too small for Windows OS.

= = = =

What thermal paste did you use and how was it applied?

Do not oil the fans or anything at all therein - that should not be at all necessary and could make things worse.

And having the same size screws and screw points is not at all any indication that the fans are interchangeable. There could be some other proprietary differences and installing other brand fans on the GPU could end very badly.

Jul 28, 2022
As I understand your description of the problems the PSU is a likely suspect.

More information needed:

Make and model motherboard?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming - correct?>

Disk drive(s): make and model, capacity, how full? 120 GB is likely too small for Windows OS.

= = = =

What thermal paste did you use and how was it applied?

Do not oil the fans or anything at all therein - that should not be at all necessary and could make things worse.

And having the same size screws and screw points is not at all any indication that the fans are interchangeable. There could be some other proprietary differences and installing other brand fans on the GPU could end very badly.
Psu: EVGA 600W Bronze (Bought it new when i bought the whole pc, using it for about 2-3 years and yes I've played heavy open world games on it such as Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, Elden ring) and idk what do you mean by 'make'.

Disk drive: i have the Hikvision SSD 120gb, using it for 2-3 years as well and its about 60gb left in it.
(Never caused any lag or fps drop even when it was less than 50gb sometime ago because i solely use it for windows, i think the increasing temperature upto 90c is causing the fps drop, and i have tested this a few times by closing the game wait for temp to decease and then reopening the game seems to run smoothly again for 5 minutes until it hits 87c again) But the small games where gpu isn't needed as much doesn't increase the temperature and the game runs smoothly for hours, but i can't play open world games again more than 5mins.

As for the thermal paste, my friend helped me with it, he's done ton of gpu work but isn't a professional, he used the injection but i don't remember the brand, even when we looked at the gpu while the fans were moving one of them seems to be moving slow as compare to the other while idle, they continued to move the same upon load too. He thinks that a damaged bearing would be the cause, he didn't say anything about psu.

Btw can a damaged psu cause gpu fan damage too? Even though the games aren't crashing or pc doesn't turn off itself and the pc is turning on normally, do you think the smell is coming from psu?
Sorry for the late reply.

Jul 28, 2022
I think your fan motor is burned out, the fan will need replacement. Based on your description I don't think any other component is damaged.
Well iam thinking of the same thing to replace the fans but i thought to collect some opinions then proceed, even though if i would replace the fan i would still want to know if rtx 2060 AMP fans would work on normal rtx 2060 (twin fans) because they are the same.

Ralston18

Titan
All in all, I believe that the PSU may be starting to falter and fail. It simply cannot keep up with the power demands of the system.

Especially with the more demanding games being played.

Likely at or nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

Remember that PSUs provide three voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components. So one component may appear to be working while another component may not fully work or not work at all. Especially when power demands rapidly vary and peak.

Swapping fans may be an option but without specific information on voltages and pin outs you risk causing even more damage.

And the new fan could succumb to what ever caused its' predecessor to fail.....

FYI:

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Not that you need to immediately go out and purchase a new PSU.

The link provides more information about PSUs and references some calculators that you should use to ensure that the current PSU is properly sized for your build. Which may indeed be the case. However, if the PSU can no longer provide proper voltages and wattages all sort of problems occur. And result in other damage and more problems.

Are you able to obtain another known working PSU to install and test with? At least 600 watts but go with 650 or even 700 if available.

Jul 31, 2022
All in all, I believe that the PSU may be starting to falter and fail. It simply cannot keep up with the power demands of the system.

I'd like to contest this. EVGA makes good PSUs. I had a system with dual 1070s and an OC'd E5-1650 v2 that melted the 12v modular cables but the PSU kept trucking.

A 600W is not struggling with a 2060 even with RT enabled. You can run a 1080 Ti system with something like a 2200G on a 350W PSU without issues.

Likely at or nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

All EVGA PSUs have a 2 year warranty and are eligible for a 2 year extension. PSUs don't really have engineered lifespans the way iPhones do. I've been using the same RM750X from Corsair for the last...8 years, which is currently in my boss's PC, running a 7940X and 1080 Ti.

Realistically, given the smells and sounds, and the lazy fan, are exact symptoms of brushless fan failure. Fans are the most frequently failing parts of a GPU.

Ralston18

Titan
Will defer to OP ( @dreamh ) regarding the current PSU and any remaining warranty. I would expect not but I have no way to know for sure.

And there are more than enough debates going on about PSU's regarding quality, durability, reliability, etc.. Brands change: once good products are now shunned. And there can be equal debate about what power levels any given system really needs versus what power levels any given PSU can actually provide during times of varying demands and peaks.

As for the GPU fan - that may well be the case. But likewise, if there is any remaining warranty on the GPU then the repairs should be made under warranty. Hopefully the fans are covered under warranty.

Unfortunately, manufacturer's do not want things to be repairable and fixes that used to work may no longer do so. Could make things worse if done incorrectly.

Replacing the fan could be problematic:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001406.htm

That said it still narrows down to determining what the problem is. But there could be multiple problems.....

My recommendation is to swap in another known working PSU to determine if doing so helps.

But that is somewhat moot if the fan is damaged.

Jul 28, 2022
Will defer to OP ( @dreamh ) regarding the current PSU and any remaining warranty. I would expect not but I have no way to know for sure.

And there are more than enough debates going on about PSU's regarding quality, durability, reliability, etc.. Brands change: once good products are now shunned. And there can be equal debate about what power levels any given system really needs versus what power levels any given PSU can actually provide during times of varying demands and peaks.

As for the GPU fan - that may well be the case. But likewise, if there is any remaining warranty on the GPU then the repairs should be made under warranty. Hopefully the fans are covered under warranty.

Unfortunately, manufacturer's do not want things to be repairable and fixes that used to work may no longer do so. Could make things worse if done incorrectly.

Replacing the fan could be problematic:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001406.htm

That said it still narrows down to determining what the problem is. But there could be multiple problems.....

My recommendation is to swap in another known working PSU to determine if doing so helps.

But that is somewhat moot if the fan is damaged.
So iam considering both possibilities right now, psu can be the reason why is it not giving that kick start of that high speed fan whenever the gpu is on load and remain on 34% of it's speed, not even when i use afterburner or evga precision or firestorm to manually change the speed (it doesn't respond to anything) might also fix those gpu fan buzzing noises (which is going up and down after every few minutes)

For the clicking fan noises and that one abnormally moving fan it is possible that psu has damaged the motor of one of the fans and might remain to sound like a helicopter even when i have replaced the psu (seriously i can't even watch anything even when iam wearing headphones).

First I'll try to test the gpu on my friend's pc (which will confirm if psu is the culprit), but I'll also buy new fans as a backup if the fan is still moving slow upon load.

Right now iam still busy with my job, but within a few days I'll reply to this post to let you know the result.
Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
So iam considering both possibilities right now, psu can be the reason why is it not giving that kick start of that high speed fan whenever the gpu is on load and remain on 34% of it's speed, not even when i use afterburner or evga precision or firestorm to manually change the speed (it doesn't respond to anything) might also fix those gpu fan buzzing noises (which is going up and down after every few minutes)

For the clicking fan noises and that one abnormally moving fan it is possible that psu has damaged the motor of one of the fans and might remain to sound like a helicopter even when i have replaced the psu (seriously i can't even watch anything even when iam wearing headphones).

First I'll try to test the gpu on my friend's pc (which will confirm if psu is the culprit), but I'll also buy new fans as a backup if the fan is still moving slow upon load.

Right now iam still busy with my job, but within a few days I'll reply to this post to let you know the result.
Thank you!

Good plan.

Just try to be methodical as possible and change only one thing at a time.

Ensure that your friend's PSU is capable of supporting the GPU. Check specs to be sure.

Post when you can.

TRENDING THREADS