Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
I've had an RTX 2080 Ti Fe for a few weeks now in an eGPU enclosure. It's been running amazingly until yesterday.

After downloading and trying Metro Exodus for its RTX features, one of the GPU fans went up to 100% and stayed there, even when all temperature sensors read it as being in the low 30s, temperature wise. Then, it started having the same fan at 100 even when the enclosure was disconnected from the laptop--which it did not do before at all. I have to remove power from the PSU for it to stop. I tried using a different PSU with the same exact results--both work fine for other components.

I uninstalled all software that might be taking control of fans (that I could think of), I also rolled back a few WIndows updates too. No luck there.

The only way I've gotten the fan to go lower is by putting the GPU under strain. Around 53 degrees the fan suddenly stops and settles where it should be. But, 5 minutes after the GPU cools off at idle (at 35 degrees), the fan goes back to 100 again.

I'm assuming this is some kind of issue with the GPU itself?
If it's software related, what kind of software would cause this that I haven't removed? I removed afterburner, and Precision X1.
Will I need to RMA this card?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
In the mean time, you could try uninstalling (in safe mode) everything Nvidia with DDU, and then see if the issue still exists with nothing but the Windows default driver. Be aware that Win update will try to find and install the correct driver in short order as soon as you boot back to the desktop. In fact, let it. See if the fan is normal at boot and again after the update driver installation. Don't install the latest driver yet.

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
In the mean time, you could try uninstalling (in safe mode) everything Nvidia with DDU, and then see if the issue still exists with nothing but the Windows default driver. Be aware that Win update will try to find and install the correct driver in short order as soon as you boot back to the desktop. In fact, let it. See if the fan is normal at boot and again after the update driver installation. Don't install the latest driver yet.
Sorry for being away for a bit.

I did all of that actually, right away. The fan went to normal for a few days, but just a few hours ago began doing this again. I think it hits a certain temperature, then, once it cools off, thinks it needs max for some reason (even though the sensors read low 30s)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well... it's been the few days mentioned above. Have you tested the card in a desktop PC environment? If the issue happens in the desktop too, then it would appear to be the card that is at fault. If all is well, then it would point to the enclosure as a possible culprit.

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
I haven't had that chance just yet because of unexpected work. But Once I get that chance, I'll figure out where the fault is and fix it. Thank you for the help!