Jul 11, 2019
okay so ive got this big problem with my pc. ive talked to alot of people and nobody has come up with a solution.

im runnin a i5 7400 4core 4 thread stock 3.0ghz turbo boost 3.5ghz , and a msi 1060 6gb oc version, h110m-dgs mobo, 8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram, 600w zalman psu and a toshiba 7200rpm 1tb hdd

the problem is that im gettin alot of fps drops in games like my pc drops about 30 or 40 frames. for example. im playing rainbow six siege and im getting 70-80 fps on low to medium settings.

but heres a catch. when i reinstall my gpu drivers my fps goes to 110- 130 everything maxed.

but then after like 30mins of playing for like an hour or 2 (its really unpredictable) it goes back to 70 to 80fps on low settings.

not only my fps drop ive got some micro sutters goin on aswell as some input lag with it.

ive tried fresh install of windows tried changing the drivers, ive monitored the temps they are all fine im not thermal throtling, tried updating motherboard bios aswell.

i really dont know what to do its come to a point where i was about to take my pc and my phone and go out and rec a drop test on 20feet.

all the things ive tried:
-disabled fast boot
-updated mobo bios
-replaced thermal paste on my cpu and gpu
-tried to change some of the nvidia control panel settings
-changed windows power settings to performance mode
-freshinstalled windows with formated drive
-changed hdmi cable
-disabled superfetch (sysmain)
-reinstalled drivers with ddu
-changed the driver vewrsion million times
-tried to overclock, underclock my gpu
-cleaned my case
-my vsync and stuff like that is not on
- i dont have nvidia experience downloaded but tried to optimise games with that aswell
-no updates are runnin in the background
-ran a memtest86 it was all clear
-ran a stres test on my gpu

ps. i monitored the graphs in msi afterburner and the second my pc starts to drop performance my cpu usage skyrockets and gpu usage starts to run inconsistantly, as i said i fix it with reinstallin the gpu drivers but only for a hour or something like that its unpredictable.

gpu temps are runnin around 65degrees and cpus runnin around 55.
usage on Rocket League2015 - cpu 70-90% gpu 60%
usage on rainbow six siege 2015 - 100%cpu 95%gpu
usage on fortnite- 100%cpu 60%gpu

if you could help in any way possible i would very much appreciate it. Ty in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Replacing parts may be the end solution.

However, that is moot in many ways as the problem has yet to be identified.

Swapping out a component with a known working component is one way of troubleshooting. Not always possible for any number of reasons.

You must methodically work through various configurations and tests working with what you have to, if anything, eliminate possible reasons. E.g., if all drivers are up to date and the problem continues - drivers can be eliminated to some extent. Unless of course the newer drivers have some problem. That is why rolling back to an older driver may resolve a problem.

Experiment with different apps and configuration settings to determine what circumstances lead to the CPU problem...
Jul 11, 2019
Well if you're using 100% of a resource, it's going to drop frames. That's just how it works. 70-80fps is perfectly fine, especially with that rather underpowered CPU.
so you think its my cpu bottlenecking? but why does it fix itself for a short time after i reinstall the gpu drivers

Jul 11, 2019
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
okay so ive got this big problem with my pc. ive talked to alot of people and nobody has come up with a solution.

im runnin a i5 7400 4core 4 thread stock 3.0ghz turbo boost 3.5ghz , and a msi 1060 6gb oc version, h110m-dgs mobo, 8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram, 600w zalman psu and a toshiba 7200rpm 1tb hdd

the problem is that im gettin alot of fps drops in games like my pc drops about 30 or 40 frames. for example. im playing rainbow six siege and im getting 70-80 fps on low to medium settings.

but heres a catch. when i reinstall my gpu drivers my fps goes to 110- 130 everything maxed.

but then after like 30mins of playing for like an hour or 2 (its really unpredictable) it goes back to 70 to 80fps on low settings.

not only my fps drop ive got some micro sutters goin on aswell as some input lag with it.

ive tried fresh install of windows tried changing the drivers, ive monitored the temps they are all fine im not thermal throtling, tried updating motherboard bios aswell.

i really dont know what to do its come to a point where i was about to take my pc and my phone and go out and rec a drop test on 20feet.

-disabled fast boot
-updated mobo bios
-changed hdmi cable
-cleaned my case
- i dont have nvidia experience downloaded but tried to optimise games with that aswell
-cleaned ram cache
- created a second user on my pc to test on it

ps. i monitored the graphs in msi afterburner and the second my pc starts to drop performance my cpu usage skyrockets and gpu usage starts to run inconsistantly, as i said i fix it with reinstallin the gpu drivers but only for a hour or something like that its unpredictable.

usage on Rocket League2015 - cpu 60-80% gpu 60%
usage on rainbow six siege 2015 - 100%cpu 90%gpu
usage on fortnite- 100%cpu 90%gpu

sounds like a cpu bottleneck but would it cause input lag and if it were the cpu bottleneck why would it fix itself for a short period of time after i reinstall my gpu drivers?
is there something like gpu cache that is building up or idk. ill try to bring this to nvidia or someone aswell.

if you could help in any way possible i would very much appreciate it. Ty in advance.

this is the point where the "switch" happens where after 30mins of gaming after i reinstalled the gpu drivers my pc starts to act up again .

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019

-disabled fast boot
-updated mobo bios
-changed hdmi cable
-cleaned my case
-cleaned ram cache
- created a second user on my pc to test on it

usage on Rocket League2015 - cpu 60-80% gpu 60%
usage on rainbow six siege 2015 - 100%cpu 90%gpu
usage on fortnite- 100%cpu 90%gpu

sounds like a cpu bottleneck but would it cause input lag and if it were the cpu bottleneck why would it fix itself for a short period of time after i reinstall my gpu drivers?
is there something like gpu cache that is building up or idk. ill try to bring this to nvidia or someone aswell.

this is the point where the "switch" happens where after 30mins of gaming after i reinstalled the gpu drivers my pc starts to act up again .

Ralston18

Titan
CPU's 1,3, and 4 drop while CPU 2 increases to 88% if I understand the image correctly,

Take a look at CPU usage via Resource Monitor.

See if you can identify some process or service that can be associated or correlated with the CPU's "behavior".

If not, then maybe the CPU is and has been defective.

Jul 11, 2019
CPU's 1,3, and 4 drop while CPU 2 increases to 88% if I understand the image correctly,

See if you can identify some process or service that can be associated or correlated with the CPU's "behavior".

ill try to get the ryzen 7 2700x and a b450 to test it out here in a week if its not the cpu and mobo then my next step will prob be gettin the ssd and trying it out or different psu and even ram

Jul 11, 2019

but the problem is that i dont wanna go out and just replace all my parts i was wondering if somebody could give me the real reason why my pc has problems but iguess that is just not happening

Ralston18

Titan
Replacing parts may be the end solution.

However, that is moot in many ways as the problem has yet to be identified.

Swapping out a component with a known working component is one way of troubleshooting. Not always possible for any number of reasons.

You must methodically work through various configurations and tests working with what you have to, if anything, eliminate possible reasons. E.g., if all drivers are up to date and the problem continues - drivers can be eliminated to some extent. Unless of course the newer drivers have some problem. That is why rolling back to an older driver may resolve a problem.

Experiment with different apps and configuration settings to determine what circumstances lead to the CPU problem. Once you can create the problem "at will" then you will at least know the source/cause. Then that source/cause problem can be addressed for possible solutions,

On the other hand, if the CPU problem continues no matter what - then the CPU itself is likely the problem.

Solution