Kazuki70

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
So it's been a 5 years sense I last got a PC, which i don't love 'cause I didn't have much choice on parts, just built it... (960 2gb here).

Anyway I want a machine to last another 5 plus years. But this time I want to actually you know... enjoy my PC, and actually do something with it. I'll be talking in euros and listing the lowest prices I can get them for.

I'm sold on the RTX 2070 Super, seems amazing for a 5 year plan.

Then first though about getting a Ryzen 7 3800x... but found out the 3700x is the sameish and even though I want a good build, I also want to save all the money I can (-50€). Then i read some more and watched a bunch of videos and found that Ryzen 5 3600x (-110€) offers basically the same performance and basically so does the 3600 (-40€).
So I'm thinking hard about Ryzen 7 3700x vs Ryzen 5 3600 (-140€).

For the Cooler, not the stock, maybe I'll switch later on but will go for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition, the 40 bucks are kinda worth it, its even way more silent.

With these two builds I basically want to list all the best parts I know for the job.

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 3X 8G (580€)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X (330€)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition (40€)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (90€)
Mobo: ATX Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite (220€)
SSD: M.2 2280 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB (130€)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold GX 750W (130€)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x8GB 3600MHz CL16 (140€)

Or maybe...

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 3X 8G (580€)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3600 (190€)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition (40€)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (90€)
Mobo: ATX MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (130€)
SSD: M.2 2280 Western Digital Blue SN550 500GB (80€)
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM650 2019 (100€)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 (100€)

How big of an impact would that x570 auros elite have compared to that b450 tomahawk max?

I read the PSU Corsair RM (2019) are not that good... thoughts?

Does the Trident Z Neo work that much better for a Ryzen 3000 and a x570 mobo? at least compared to a Ripjaws V. one is supposed to be made for that build and the other for intel?

The plan would be to either go for the first build and just use it for the next 5 years plus!
Or...
Buy the b450 msi tomahawk max or an even cheaper msi that does the same without lights.
Then wait 2-whatevermax years and buy a new motherboard and CPU right when the time is right.
Also by saving money on the board too, I wont feel too bad if I have to replace it, when I replace the CPU.

What do you think?
Spend the extra lot of cash now and get a PC I think will be just fine for the next 5 years, or save the 300€ now and upgrade later on?

Can the 3600 even play top games while watching a stream on the other monitor and something else on the other? will I feel for the extra cores and threads.
Also heard the new consoles will get 8 cores 16 threads which would lead on more games being optimized that way.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Edit: can always get a 2700x since either that or the 3600 are going to be upgraded in 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm not waiting more than wednesday, but thanks.
i also think I should pick the best possible parts for performance to last.
Your call mate.
Then the CPU choice will come down to basically what you are going to do with the machine. If its only for gaming and basic multitasking then even a 3600 should be fine for a few years. But if you are going to do any productivity related stuff, you will need all the cores you can get your hands on. Also some CPU intensive games will run better with more cores, not by much though.

popatim

Titan
the 3600 is a 6 core 12 thread processor
the 3700x is 8 core 16 thread...

Since you are thinking of 5 yrs down the road, I would say go with the 8 core.. 6 core is currently the sweet spot, imo, but in a few years that will become 8 cores just like when we moved up from 4...

Kazuki70

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
the 3600 is a 6 core 12 thread processor
the 3700x is 8 core 16 thread...

Since you are thinking of 5 yrs down the road, I would say go with the 8 core.. 6 core is currently the sweet spot, imo, but in a few years that will become 8 cores just like when we moved up from 4...
I also think so, but what do you think about saving 300 bucks now and upgrading with 500 bucks when the time comes?
That is the whole thing
there is also the 2700x at the same price.
not worth buying what is needed now, saving money, and spend it later on 2021 cpus?

Last edited:

Kazuki70

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
The idea is, when building a gaming machine in terms of longevity, you pick the best possible parts for performance to last. Also note that there are new product launches scheduled in the next couple of months...
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/future-hardware-releases/

Whats your max budget and location for the parts you have listed above???

Your call mate.
Then the CPU choice will come down to basically what you are going to do with the machine. If its only for gaming and basic multitasking then even a 3600 should be fine for a few years. But if you are going to do any productivity related stuff, you will need all the cores you can get your hands on. Also some CPU intensive games will run better with more cores, not by much though.

Solution