Jul 2, 2020
So my current storage situation is a bit of a problem. My current main boot drive was originally a storage drive, that at some point I installed a very slim Windows system to in a small partition (50GB) part way through the drive and between 2 storage partitions I resized to fit it between. Poor form, I know, but I was just making the best of what I had at the time.
Since then, I've moved all the storage off the drive, leaving the OS partition in the middle of the disk, with unallocated space to either side.
I installed a 2nd Windows system in a partition (214GB) to the left of the original partition.
My issue is that I want to expand my 2nd OS partition into the (184GB) unallocated space the other side of my 1st OS partition. I figured the best way to do this would be with some partitioning software, to move the 1st OS partition to the end of the drive and to then extend my 2nd OS partition into the now adjacent unallocated space.

Will this jeopardise my data? Will it compromise my ability to boot into both OSs? The first install is the one that created the EFI partition on the drive, so would moving it's data inhibit either OS from booting?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Solution
Moving partitions will always pose a risk of making windows not able to boot. Also I doubt it will work if you somehow swap the order of the partitions and I see no reason for doing that either. The end of the drive (right side) is the slowest part (physically toward the center of the disk) and it make no sense to make windows inwards - it should be located as far left as possible to gain best possible performance of the hdd.

If you are commited to mess around with the partitions, you should at least take a full image backup of your hdd.
Moving partitions will always pose a risk of making windows not able to boot. Also I doubt it will work if you somehow swap the order of the partitions and I see no reason for doing that either. The end of the drive (right side) is the slowest part (physically toward the center of the disk) and it make no sense to make windows inwards - it should be located as far left as possible to gain best possible performance of the hdd.

If you are commited to mess around with the partitions, you should at least take a full image backup of your hdd.

Solution