Jan 30, 2021
Hi I am a bit stuck, I recently built a brand new rig, I started everything from scratch it has been running for just over a month without problems. Unfortunately last week the I was in the process of running a game when the screen went black I could still hear sound for around 20 seconds before it crashed at which point the monitor showed the message ' no signal' I left the pc thinking it was in the process of booting back up and nothing it continued to appear powered but the monitor displayed no signal. Its now been a persistent problem for around 10 days

Solution
If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

Make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

Go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions...
Listing your hardware specifications including the EXACT model numbers of all hardware for which you KNOW the model number, including the power supply, motherboard, memory kit and CPU model, would be somewhat helpful here.

Also, if ANY of your hardware has been repurposed from a previous build, that would be helpful to know as well along with approximately how long that component has been in service.

Jan 30, 2021
Thanks for the quick response,
The rig is as follows;
Radeon RX 5700 xt 8gb (graphics card)
AMD ryzen 9 3900x (processor)
Msi-x570-a-pro AMD AM4 (motherboard)
ADX 750 ATX (psu)

All parts are brand new. Hopefully I have listed all relevant information you needed.

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
That sounds a bit like a video card failure to me, or possibly a power supply/cabling issue. I would pull the card and get it tested as the prime suspect for the problem, kind of hard to trouble shoot because I don't think the Ryzens have a separate integrated graphics chip to use as a back-up.

Reactions: Joe2003
Jan 30, 2021
That sounds a bit like a video card failure to me, or possibly a power supply/cabling issue. I would pull the card and get it tested as the prime suspect for the problem, kind of hard to trouble shoot because I don't think the Ryzens have a separate integrated graphics chip to use as a back-up.
Great thanks il looks into the graphics card then,

Reactions: gini

gini

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I was watching a video the other day and remember something about spikes in power consumption triggering a protection circuit in some PSUs so that may be something to look into as well. I don't know if there is a manual reset somewhere or if you would need to take it in for repair though.

Jan 30, 2021
I was watching a video the other day and remember something about spikes in power consumption triggering a protection circuit in some PSUs so that may be something to look into as well. I don't know if there is a manual reset somewhere or if you would need to take it in for repair though.
Okay thanks il try the gpu tonight and go from there, its just wierd how I've run without issue for a while now I've not adjusted or changed anything

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

Make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

Go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates. When it comes to the chipset drivers, if your motherboard manufacturer lists a chipset driver that is newer than what the chipset developer (Intel or AMD, for our purposes) lists, then use that one. If Intel (Or AMD) shows a chipset driver version that is newer than what is available from the motherboard product page, then use that one. Always use the newest chipset driver that you can get and always use ONLY the chipset drivers available from either the motherboard manufacturer, AMD or Intel.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth (And often tied for most important along with an up-to-date motherboard BIOS),

A clean install of the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

And last, but not least, if you have never done a CLEAN install of Windows, or have upgraded from an older version to Windows 10, or have been through several spring or fall major Windows updates, it might be a very good idea to consider doing a clean install of Windows if none of these other solutions has helped. IF you are using a Windows installation from a previous system and you didn't do a clean install of Windows after building the new system, then it's 99.99% likely that you NEED to do a CLEAN install before trying any other solutions.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way

Solution
If none of that helps, then I'd entertain the idea that while that ADX power supply is regarded as "not that bad" by a few people out there due to it's being built (Supposedly) using the same platform as some other CWT built units that are "ok", it might just be the fact that you have a crappy or faulty power supply. It really isn't a brand that is well known nor is it a high end platform it's built on.

Getting something better would be wise in my opinion even if it turns out NOT to be the problem.

Jan 30, 2021
Hi all, thanks for all of your help, I actually began by removing a ram stick don't ask why I felt this should be first, but after removing the system showed a message that there had been a change and there for had completely wiped the bios settings. I left the system running for most of the day with just the one stick and no sign of the error, I then re-plugged the other stick of ram in and tried again. Ever since then there's no sign of the issue il keep an eye on it but it looks like a bios reset was needed. I will also be looking at your advice and replacing the psu as soon as possible, thanks again for all your help.